NBA Uni Protocol

Shroinke

We're less than a week into the season and I've already seen a bunch of breaks in uniform protocol in the NBA:

Bobcats wore alternate navy in home opener (forcing Bucks to wear white on road)

Cavaliers wore throwback orange in home opener (forcing Mavs to wear white on the road)

Pacers wore yellow alternate in second home game (forcing Heat to wear white on the road)

Suns wore orange alternate in home opener (forcing Lakers to wear yellow home uni on the road)

Are there no longer designated "home" and "road" uniforms? Or is there more leway in the first week of games?

Here's my question after briefly watching the Lakers-Suns game, why couldn't the Lakers wear their purple roads? Why were they forced to wear their "homes", I feel if the jerseys are far enough off the color gamma or contrast, that they should be able to wear their normal roads. I don't see a problem with the Lakers purple and the Suns orange or even the Pacers yellow and the Heat black or red.

a lot of teams wear alternates or roads to begin the season now. its been my opinion that teams should wear darks at home. the fact that most alternates are worn on the road doesnt make much sense from a marketing standpoint. then you have the teams that wear throwbacks, which more often than not are the road version, forcing the team to wear whites. to answer your question, it seems like the league has loosened up a bit. teams are wearing throwbacks fifteen times a season. as for the lakers-suns, i dont know why the lakers couldnt have worn their purple set. its a better clash set than the yellow

Purple is a Suns color.

Although, I do remember back in the 90's when the Bulls wore the black alts against teams that had black in their color schemes.

On that note, I'm so glad the Bulls will be wearing those 90's black alts with pinstripes as a HWC throwback this year!

Although, I do remember back in the 90's when the Bulls wore the black alts against teams that had black in their color schemes.

:blink::blink:

Yep, during the Jordan days.

They'd wear them against the Magic almost all the time, that or theres like 4895743984 photos from that game. They also wore them alot against the Lakers. Unless I'm wrong, I always figured thats how it always went for them. Steal the opposing teams color on the road against them in their own building.

http://www.geocities.com/mjlove9901/love99...BlackJersey.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

They'd wear them against the Magic almost all the time, that or theres like 4895743984 photos from that game. They also wore them alot against the Lakers. Unless I'm wrong, I always figured thats how it always went for them. Steal the opposing teams color on the road against them in their own building.

He did the two stunned emoticons because you're original post makes absolutely no sense. Teams do not NOT wear certain colored uniforms because the other team has that color in their color set. It wasn't that the Lakers didn't wear purple because the Suns have purple. Or else the Suns would never wear their actual Purple aways in L.A. because the Lakers have purple as well, and etc. with a bunch of other teams.

a lot of teams wear alternates or roads to begin the season now. its been my opinion that teams should wear darks at home. the fact that most alternates are worn on the road doesnt make much sense from a marketing standpoint. then you have the teams that wear throwbacks, which more often than not are the road version, forcing the team to wear whites. to answer your question, it seems like the league has loosened up a bit. teams are wearing throwbacks fifteen times a season. as for the lakers-suns, i dont know why the lakers couldnt have worn their purple set. its a better clash set than the yellow

Never. Football is the only sport that can pull it off. The NHL looks really off to me, but I haven't really been a lifelong fan, just kind of a "tuning in occasionally" type of fan, so my judgement there really doesn't pull a lot of weight with it.

But basketball should always be white at home and dark on road. It's just natural. Colored uniforms at home with the road team in white just looks wa-a-hey too strange.

He did the two stunned emoticons because you're original post makes absolutely no sense. Teams do not NOT wear certain colored uniforms because the other team has that color in their color set. It wasn't that the Lakers didn't wear purple because the Suns have purple. Or else the Suns would never wear their actual Purple aways in L.A. because the Lakers have purple as well, and etc. with a bunch of other teams.

Oh.

emotsuicidepo8.gif

bSLCtu2.png

Oh.

emotsuicidepo8.gif

I won't say you are wrong, McCall, because you aren't, but I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility that there is some merit to Old School Fool's original statement. A possible example of this is Nets vs. Raptors in the playoffs last season when they wore the red alternate on the road in Toronto.

Oh.

emotsuicidepo8.gif

I won't say you are wrong, McCall, because you aren't, but I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility that there is some merit to Old School Fool's original statement. A possible example of this is Nets vs. Raptors in the playoffs last season when they wore the red alternate on the road in Toronto.

That was a one-time specific, intended occasion. He was implying that teams never, or rarely, wear uniforms that share a color of an opposing team, which of course is simply not true.

Never. Football is the only sport that can pull it off. The NHL looks really off to me, but I haven't really been a lifelong fan, just kind of a "tuning in occasionally" type of fan, so my judgement there really doesn't pull a lot of weight with it.

But basketball should always be white at home and dark on road. It's just natural. Colored uniforms at home with the road team in white just looks wa-a-hey too strange.

IMO, the following teams could wear their away at home against certain teams with the other team wearing their away and it would still work, only because their away jerseys are so light:

New Orleans (Teal & Yellow)

Charlotte (Orange)

Denver (Powder Blue)

Indiana (Gold)

Suns (Orange)

Kings (Gold...even though it's :puke: )

Sonics (Yellow)

Pacers wore yellow alternate in second home game (forcing Heat to wear white on the road)

Why is the Pacers' yellow considered a "dark" color, forcing the heat to wear white, but the Lakers can wear yellow at home and it is a lways considered light (i.e., equivalent to white) color?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The NBA declared that only white was a home color, but grandfathered the Lakers' yellow in, so that it didn't apply to them. I'm fine with both teams wearing non-white if there's acceptable contrast. I'd rather have the Lakers in purple and the Suns in orange than the Lakers in yellow and the Suns in orange.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Although it's too late to change tradition, to me it always made more sense for the home team to wear their 'exclusive' colors. I mean, it is their city...Why should the home team wear generic white?

I'm also a little picky about the state/nickname inconsistencies. I figure that every team should have their city name on their jersey when playing away, and have their nickname when playing at home. I've noticed New Orleans recently made the change, but Milwaukee, despite having a long name, still went with bucks on both jerseys...tsk tsk.

oh well, i'm probably alone on this opinion.

Archived