TB Rays Concept

LEWJ

I decided to re-do the new TB uniforms. I kept the logos, and colors. I incorporated a lot more powder blue. I used a matching number font very similar to the brewers, and also matched the drop shadow. I think this made it look much better.

[out of date]

C&C Please

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The Rays dont play in Tampa.

We finally got rid of the vests, which if the players wore a loose fitting undershirt would be fine, but everyone wears the tight fit undershirts.

I would have definitely liked to see the Rays with more baby blue and I like the cap.

Rays2009sig.png

We finally got rid of the vests, which if the players wore a loose fitting undershirt would be fine, but everyone wears the tight fit undershirts.

I would have definitely liked to see the Rays with more baby blue and I like the cap.

No they play in St. Pete. However, they're called the Tampa Bay Rays, so I'm just fine with having at least one of their jerseys say 'Tampa' on it.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

No they play in St. Pete. However, they're called the Tampa Bay Rays, so I'm just fine with having at least one of their jerseys say 'Tampa' on it.

Tampa bay refers to a region, not the city. That is like New England having England on their gear.

Tampa bay refers to a region, not the city. That is like New England having England on their gear.

I thought Tampa Bay referred to a body of water. Either way, no one actually "plays" in Tampa Bay. That would require swimsuits and scuba gear. They play near it. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I thought Tampa Bay referred to a body of water. Either way, no one actually "plays" in Tampa Bay. That would require swimsuits and scuba gear. They play near it. :D

The region is named after the body of water. Just like the city of Green Bay gets its name from the "thumb" of Lake Michigan of the same name.

Tampa Bay's the region they play in and take their name from. St. Petersburg is the city they play in. Tampa is the city they don't play in. Therefore, only "Tampa" on a uniform is like... well, the Giants and Jets going by New York, which makes no sense, but they're storied enough that they can get away with it. The Rays... are not. So they can't. There, that should clear all that up for all time. :D

On the concept, the obvious use of the Brewers font for the names and numbers just does not work. And that light blue piping on the grays just would not look right. Switch it to navy. One of the problems with their new set is "Rays" being on the aways. Make it "Tampa Bay" or just the "TB".

The tweaked-look isn't bad.

I would, however, like to see a darker baby blue used for the road uniforms with white shadows.

And I would like to see a dark blue jersey with the Rays wordmark.

I do like the Rays wordmark on the visiting uniforms. More teams need to use the team names on their road uniforms. Let's be honest: The identity of an MLB team is the team name much more than the city or area. When I say I'm a Minnesota Twins fan, I say I'm a Twins fan, not a Minnesota fan.

I don't think St. Pete would be "just fine" with it. Don't underestimate the rivalries that spring up between adjacent cities, especially on the part of the "little brother."

I don't think St. Pete would be "just fine" with it. Don't underestimate the rivalries that spring up between adjacent cities, especially on the part of the "little brother."

I've always thought they should have been the St Pete Rays to begin with.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived