Design your tat!

JQK

A recent convo with Joel has got me to thinking about tattoos...

If you were going to get (or already have gotten) a tattoo, and design it yourself, what would (or does) it look like?

I've had a few, and will post them when i get around to it (that whole "lazy" thing is showing up again) :P

If you have tats already, post some pics of 'em, let's see some ink!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I currently have 2, a Jimi Hendrix on my right shoulder (based on the "Kiss The Sky" album cover), and a Chernabog (demon from Fantasia) on the other.  My next will be either a Tex Avery-style redhead or Bettie Page on my upper thigh, much to the wife's chagrin.

Haven't designed my own...and I never trust the artist to go to town...the last thing I need is some goofed-up looking snake or skull head on my wrist (especially with an office job)...for my music career, it may be a good idea, but as a payroll guy, it's just silly.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I don't have a clear, updated version of it, but here's the one on my right arm, a couple days after I had it done (April 2000):

kj-tat.jpg

It's no longer all red and such, obviously.

I had the concept for years, but I can't draw for crap.  So, I walked in, and let the artist at the shop (Obscurities/Trilogy Tattoo in Dallas, I was on vacation and had seen a lot of their work on friends in the Dallas area) draw a design based on the concept--hockey player, bear, name/number, black-and-white.  He needed reference for the player, I had to walk across the street and grab an ESPN magazine, which had an article on Luc Robitalle.  The picture in there was perfect.  So, he drew up the basic outline, and I loved it.

The outline was laid down with carbon paper, then he went to work.  He did the shading freehand, I was quite impressed.  It took just over two hours to complete it.

I've got one more, done at the same shop in October 2000.  Wanted something basic, so I had a red faceoff circle done on the small of my back.

I had an idea for one on my left ankle.  I broke the ankle pretty severely in January 2001.  The idea was to have it look like either the skin was torn away, or that a metal panel had been removed.  Inside, instead of a bone, there'd be a cracked hockey stick, with tape holding it together.  The surgery scar's pretty dark, though, and I don't think I can get it done.

I've also thought about adding to the bear on my arm, and creating an armband background for it, to look like dasher boards around the rink.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I have an image of Doris Day bludgeoning a small poodle to death with a brass statuette of Ronald McDonald tattooed across my back.  However, I let the hair grow back over it, so there's no way to get a good picture of it.  Now it just looks like an old lady with a bowl haircut trying to hack her way out of a jungle.

If I were to ever get one, it would probably be the CND logo as seen in my sig.  I'd get it on my left shoulder or upper bicep.  That logo means a lot to me, and if I'm gonna permently ink myself, it's gotta mean something to me.

Here's mine

It's got 6 colors: red, yellow, orange, green, black, white and it's on the top of my right arm by my shoulder.

I am part Welsh, and I always liked the most recent Saint John Flames logo. So on a recommendation I went down to Bulldog Tattoo in Pawtucket, RI. It turns out the tattoo artist played H.S. soccer with my brother-in-law. Small world.

I wanted a red dragon on top of a green and white banner, like the Welsh flag. So I went through the portfolio on their wall. I saw this really cool tribal dragon, but I didn't want anything tribal...everybody has tribal, I wanted mine original. So the tribal dragon was used as a template, and Glenn, the artist, filled in the rest based on the Flames logo. After 2 hours of pain, I think it came out awesome.

No, there isn't anything going on the banner. It was supposed to go behind the dragon, but when it was drawn, it looked pretty cool on top of it. I might get something in it at a later time, maybe "Kiss My Ass" in Welsh.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived