The all-star game reminds me of this....

habsfannova

Why, why, why did they change the Division names?  WHY!?!?!

Campbell and Wales sounded so much classier, and the division names were divine.  Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe.

I still think the biggest mistake the league made was going beyond 24 teams, but this was up there.

It's a small thing, and a little strange, but it set hockey apart.  Just another thing good ol' Gary did to ruin the game.

The reason for naming the divisions and conferences as Wales, Campbell, etc was to honour people who had made some contribution to hockey (some more than others)

The reason given for giving up the names is that they were supposed to be confusing--especially to people who didn't know hockey--well what a good way to educate them!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Bettman ruined any tradition hockey had, and the sport in the 80's was on the rise, into the early 90's it had growing popularity in the US, especially after gretzky went to LA, and the Bettman came in and......

.....we are on the verge of the league folding...

Good Job, Gary!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Hmmmmmm. Wasn't Gary Bettman an official with the NBA prior to his being hired as NHL commissioner?

Perhaps this has all been part of a very elaborate scheme. The  NBA "implants" Bettman within the NHL to very gradually erode it and set it up for implosion. Come on, think about it! They even attempted to invade Canada from the east and the west!

Meanwhile they also go to work on college hoops by drafting kids right out of high school.

Now they've infiltrated ESPN as well. What's next - signing Maurice Clarett?

Yhollander I think you theory makes allot of sense. Since Gary Bettman wants to destroy hockey and came from the NBA.

Either its on purpose or Bettman is a complete moron.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I like the idea of 28 teams, 4 divisions-7 teams (kinda like the old baseball divisions).  Top two teams in each division go to the playoffs.  Reinstate the traditional division names; Norris, Smythe, etc.  

IMO - 28 teams gives North America a nice fan base.  Only thing is, I'd get rid of 4 US teams, and relocate 2 into Canada.

Of course, Quebec.

That keeps some of the new and re-established the "old school" traditions.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I like the idea of 28 teams, 4 divisions-7 teams (kinda like the old baseball divisions). Top two teams in each division go to the playoffs. Reinstate the traditional division names; Norris, Smythe, etc.

IMO - 28 teams gives North America a nice fan base. Only thing is, I'd get rid of 4 US teams, and relocate 2 into Canada.

Of course, Quebec.

That keeps some of the new and re-established the "old school" traditions.

I like that idea, though I could honestly care less about the division names. Perhaps it's cuz I was too young.

Take Pittsburgh, Florida, Phoenix, and maybe Nashville (though, I think it's hard to ask fans to come and stay if the team never makes the playoffs...let them make the playoffs, and then do bad again and see how long the fans stay). Contract two, and move one to Winnipeg, and the other to maybe Quebec.

If you go and keep six divisions, maybe the names could be  Gretzky, Howe, Hull or Orr Division.  Of course only two can be added.

If you contract 6-8 teams which would voted off during NHL Tribal Council?   :D  :D  :D

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

NHL tribal council?i like it :P

i say contract Tampa Bay, Florida, Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, Anaheim, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Washington and New Jersey.

thats 10.but instead of contracting all contract 8 and relocate 2 to Winnipeg and Quebec.

have 2 conferences of 11 each. one division of 6 and one of 5

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Contract the two Florida teams into one, and the two California teams into one.  Move Nashville to Quebec and move Pittsburgh, Carolina or Washington to Winnipeg.

28 teams (24 would work well-more contractions) but none of this odd stuff, 5 in one and 6 in the other.  sorry Pat, no offense, just messy IMO. ???

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Since this topic mentions the All-Star game, I'll give a brief report on NHL All-Star FANtasy, which I went to last night.

First of all, we spent about three hours there, from just after 7 until it closed at 10.  It wasn't nearly enough time.  There's so much to do there, it's amazing.  It took up multiple parts of RiverCentre.

They had some of the skills competition stuff set up, but I didn't get a chance to do that.  I did see the Stanley Cup (from afar--the line to get up to it was 1-1/2 hours long), and the Lego Cup as well.  There was a display of lots of history stuff--old skates, helmets, jerseys, etc.  There was also a technology section, including the lightest skates I've ever picked up.

There was a huge vendor section, with people hocking hockey cards, jerseys, and tons of other memorabilia.  My friend Mark who went with me doesn't quite undertstand my jersey/logo obsession, and mocked me many times during the excursion  :P  There were vendors there from all over the US and Canada, with an amazing array of jerseys.  There were also a couple booths that had piles of logo crests--including shoulder patches for the 1995 NHL All-Star Game, the game that never happened.

Ran into a few guys that play in the same league I play in, including Rich, who's part-owner of Dropthepucks.com, a game-worn jersey display and sales site.  They had quite a collection of jerseys with them, including a 1983 Gretzky blue Oilers jersey, in a case, on sale for $99,999.99.  :D

Rich was one of a few people there who asked me about the jersey I was wearing, which was my blue Aurora jersey.  I even had someone stop me while I was walking around, asking what it was, and saying we should sell them.  Hmmm.

The one thing we did wait in line for was to get our pictures taken and put onto fake hockey cards.  They had racks of jerseys there for people to wear for the pictures, and they were using very nice photo printers for it.  They even take your name, home town, and position, and print up a fake set of stats to put on the back.  The finished product is pretty nice.  I had Mark scan mine in.  (Man, I need to get a haircut today.)

The also had all of the bobbleheads on display that were around town for the last month.  Mark snapped some pictures on his digital camera, including me standing next to the Blues bobble.  For a frame of reference as to how big they are, I'm 6'5".

I could have definitely spent another three hours going through all the stuff.  If I'd had my own digital camera, I'd've spent lots of time documenting some of the unique jerseys I saw in the vendor area, and also some of the jerseys people were wearing.

I definitely suggest going to this.  For $15, it was worth it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Contract the two Florida teams into one, and the two California teams into one. Move Nashville to Quebec and move Pittsburgh, Carolina or Washington to Winnipeg.

28 teams (24 would work well-more contractions) but none of this odd stuff, 5 in one and 6 in the other. sorry Pat, no offense, just messy IMO. ???

messy yes. i totally screwed that up. i meant something has to be done with the following teams:

Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Nashville,Atlanta, Anaheim, San Jose, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Washington and New Jersey i think. contracting, relocating to canada, merging two teams to one whatever

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Archived