Chicago Black Hawks vs. Blackhawks

dirwuf

From Wikipedia...

"In 1986, while going through the team's records, someone discovered the team's original NHL contract, and found that the name "Blackhawks" was printed as a compound word as opposed to two separate words ("Black Hawks") which was the way most sources had been printing it and as the team had always officially listed it. The name officially became "Chicago Blackhawks" from that point on."

and this at azhockey.com...

"Before the 1986-87 season the Blackhawks were usually referred to as Black Hawks - because of a poor stitching job. In May 1926, when Major Frederic McLaughlin became the owner of the new NHL franchise in Chicago, he named the team after his WWI battalion in the 86th Division - also known as the Blackhawk Division. The team jersey was designed with the Indian head encircled with Blackhawks at the top and Chicago at the bottom - because the k and the h didn't quite meet, the sportswriters reported the team name as Black Hawks. It wasn't until 1986 that the error was officially corrected."

photo_team_hawks1935mor.jpg

Thank god for the internet...

Obviously it was meant to be Blackhawks...the only thing that kept them from being called that before 1986 was a stitching error.

Then again, I was born in 1988, so I guess my opinion would obviously lean towards the compound word.

people whine and bitch and complain about Indian imagery in sports now, but i bet you anything that NO ISSUE was raised back then, when the skin of the logo Indian was really red...

and yeah, Black Hawks is better

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

people whine and bitch and complain about Indian imagery in sports now, but i bet you anything that NO ISSUE was raised back then, when the skin of the logo Indian was really red...

and yeah, Black Hawks is better

Interesting that you mention the Indian head's pigment. In graphics, it's a yellow-orange like the line in the hair, but on the sweaters, the crest is more of a tan or copper.

Also, I think Black Hawks looks good with fellow O6 two-worders, the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that they should go back to Black Hawks simply because...what type of word is spelled "Blackhawks" and because most people say just "Hawks" anyway.

Tell that to the Seattle Sea Hawks...er, I mean Seahawks... :P

...thankfully, the team downin Atlanta just simply is the Hawks.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm fine with Blackhawks, it wouldn't really matter to me if they switched it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I grew up with the name being "Black Hawks" and it seemed classy, whether it was correct or not. It just felt wrong when it started being spelled the other way. How would all you Boston fans feel if they suddenly became the Redsox?

It's not the same, because "Red Sox" is talking about an actual pair of socks that are red colored. "Blackhawks" is not referring to a hawk that is black colored, but rather it's referring to the name of an army division. And to me "Black Hawks" feels totally wrong, but like the other guy said, I'm prolly biased cuz I'm 23.

I think "Black Hawks" is much better, since the chief was Black Hawk.

If you read the post at the top, you can see that this information is wrong. The team is named after the Blackhawk division of the army. And yes, I have only been alive during the time the team has been know as Blackhawks, but I still think that is the name they should use. It looks better in writing and it is what is on the official team documents.

Side Note: Tommy Hawk - (our lovable black hawk mascot) should die. If you watch the pre game piece about him at the United Center, you will see that he likes to eat the heads off of kids.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

I think "Black Hawks" is much better, since the chief was Black Hawk.

If you read the post at the top, you can see that this information is wrong. The team is named after the Blackhawk division of the army. And yes, I have only been alive during the time the team has been know as Blackhawks, but I still think that is the name they should use. It looks better in writing and it is what is on the official team documents.

Side Note: Tommy Hawk - (our lovable black hawk mascot) should die. If you watch the pre game piece about him at the United Center, you will see that he likes to eat the heads off of kids.

You're making my Tommy sad. And besides, Staley does the same thing before Bears games too. We really do have the best new mascots in sports....

Now I hate the White Sox with a passion and here is a good reason why you all should too:

mascot_250x300.jpg

It's Southpaw! :rolleyes:

Hey, at least it ain't Ribbie and/or Roobarb.

ribbie-and-roobarb-192.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Now I hate the White Sox with a passion and here is a good reason why you all should too:

mascot_250x300.jpg

It's Southpaw! :rolleyes:

You gotta admit though, the jersey buttons made of scoreboard spinners is a stroke of genius, even if he does look like a giant snot.

Yeah, those are buttons pretty much own for life. And I do agree the ribbie and roobarb are even worse.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

He ate my girlfriend's head, also. After dancing with her, no less. Tommy seemed like quite the player to me.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived