16-0-0

Mac the Knife

Substitute Boston's recent success with any other sports city in America and it's the same story. Cleveland, Atlanta, Minnesota, Philadelphia . You would hate them too and think their fan base was pompous and arrogant too.

I don't think that's true. "Arrogant New Englanders" flows from my brain more readily than "arrogant Minnesotans."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Substitute Boston's recent success with any other sports city in America and it's the same story. Cleveland, Atlanta, Minnesota, Philadelphia . You would hate them too and think their fan base was pompous and arrogant too.

So with that said: *uck you. Bring on the hate. I love it. You would trade a body part to be in my shoes.

Sorry but Red Sox fans were :censored:s long before 2004. It's not the teams, it's the people. Win or lose most Boston fans have always been arrogant and pompous. A lot of Boston fans have this sense of entitlement or something. Before 2004 Red Sox fans acted like they were owed a World Series simply because their team sucked for so long. I don't think it's nearly as bad with The Patriots. I don't blame the fans as much for the backlash as I blame ESPN and the media.

I remember when the 49ers were on their run. It wasn't like this. They weren't hated and their fans weren't thought of as pompous jerks. It wasn't like this with the Steelers either. The truth is that a significant number of Boston fans have always been jackasses and now that you're finally winning something everyone sees it. I'll be the first to say that not all Boston fans are pompous jerks; but a good portion of you are.

I wouldn't even trade my out of date Quincy Morgan jersey let alone a body part to "be in your shoes."

So with that said, :censored: you Boston. Everyone hates you. Deal with it. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Remember when the Colts were 13-0 in 2005? It seems like most sports fans were rooting for them to go undefeated. There were the usual Peyton-haters, but it wasn't like Indianapolis fans and that's it were rooting for a perfect season. I was on board, as were most people I knew. But with the Patriots, it seemed like it was ONLY their fans rooting to go undefeated. I think that says a lot.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Bill Simmons and his passive agressive elitism towards all cities that don't touch saltwater has been more than enough for me to hate Boston. Of course, growing up in Milwaukee, you develop a natural hatred for cities that wish they were New York :P

I may have to hate all of New England if it wasn't for Seth MacFarlane and the Farrley(sp?) Bros.

I think a reason in general for the Anti-Boston fever (aside from the obvious is the fact that the Patriots did something unethical... regardless of whether or not its "cheating") that people no longer see the Red Sox as underdogs and see them for what they really are... a big market team that suddenly has no problem reaping the benefits being a big market team now that those benefits are working in their favor.

So with that said: *uck you. Bring on the hate. I love it. You would trade a body part to be in my shoes.

Sorry but Red Sox fans were :censored:s long before 2004. It's not the teams, it's the people. Win or lose most Boston fans have always been arrogant and pompous. A lot of Boston fans have this sense of entitlement or something. Before 2004 Red Sox fans acted like they were owed a World Series simply because their team sucked for so long. I don't think it's nearly as bad with The Patriots. I don't blame the fans as much for the backlash as I blame ESPN and the media.

I remember when the 49ers were on their run. It wasn't like this. They weren't hated and their fans weren't thought of as pompous jerks. It wasn't like this with the Steelers either. The truth is that a significant number of Boston fans have always been jackasses and now that you're finally winning something everyone sees it. I'll be the first to say that not all Boston fans are pompous jerks; but a good portion of you are.

I wouldn't even trade my out of date Quincy Morgan jersey let alone a body part to "be in your shoes."

So with that said, :censored: you Boston. Everyone hates you. Deal with it. B)

I call bull*hit. You mean to tell me you wouldn't want the Browns, Cavaliers and Indians all competing for a championship every year? Liar.

The comparisons you're making don't equate to the what we're experiencing right now.

The only thing I'm saying is I've been on the other side. I hated big time on teams consistently on top. But now that we're on top of the sports world, it's different.

We have to take the good with the bad. And now that I've learned to deal with the bad, the good feels great.

I think a reason in general for the Anti-Boston fever (aside from the obvious is the fact that the Patriots did something unethical... regardless of whether or not its "cheating") that people no longer see the Red Sox as underdogs and see them for what they really are... a big market team that suddenly has no problem reaping the benefits being a big market team now that those benefits are working in their favor.

But the other half is that they also still want to be lovable losers. That's what gets me. The Patriots won three Super Bowls in the 2000's and are on their way to a fourth, bu it's the constant talk of 1-15 seasons and how bad things were when people were three years old given as some sort of justification for the total lack of grace in discussing their teams.

When the Buccaneers won their Super Bowl, were their fans going crazy about 0-14? When the Colts won their Super Bowl last year, did they bring up the 1-15 and 3-13 seasons of the late 90's? Did Steeler fans act like complete douchebags after they won in 2006? Well perhaps a bit, but was there the constant "woe is us" Patriot fans love to cry? Especially in light of three Super Bowl wins this decade?

I've never seen such a large swath of fans so addicted to and seemingly empowered by losing. Patriot fans, you're winning now, and you've won big just a couple of short years ago. How about acting like you've been here before, because, you know, you hav. Very recently.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

More fuel for the haters fire... just remember: the terrorists that caused 9/11 took off from Boston!!!

In all seriousness though, I've never met a true Boston-based sports fan that I've been able to tolerate for more than about 15 minutes, for many of the reasons already posted here: pre-2004 it was "Woe is us," "Bucky ****ing Dent," "The '67 team was one of the greatest of all time," etc. Post-2004 it's "We're #1 and so what if we seem arrogant, we had to wait four generations for it!"

Unfortunately the way Bostonian sports fans are perceived by the rest of America is the way Americans are perceived worldwide. "We're the greatest nation on Earth, our economy's in the toilet and we can still afford whatever we want, our military's the most advanced in human history, and all this despite spending more effort pursuing Paris Hilton's inebriated exploits instead of following what's going on in the rest of the world, so suck it you second-rate mother****ers!" Real classy - on both counts.

nav-logo.png

This is truely one of the funniest threads I've read in a while, and I refrained from posting in it as long as possible.

To generalize everyone from 6 different states and proclaim your hatred for everything that has a pulse in that vacinity, really speaks volumes about your character.

By the way, what is this lovable loser bull:censored:? I never took pride in my favorite teams losing season after season after season. As a matter of fact, growing up, watching other sports teams make it too the promised land and have the Sox, Pats, Celts, and Bruins playing golf instead of raising their respective trophies really sucked. So now, to have everyone playing in 5th gear, winning championships, it feels almost surreal. And after awhile, hearing everyone around the nation, and you guys, burst out with "I hate Boston" talk almost feels just as good. I don't brag, boast, or shove my favorite teams' acomplisments into anyones face, neither do much of this region of the country, but still, we're victims of our teams success. If anyone of you would say you wouldn't trade spots to have your favorite teams doing this good, you'd be lying. But everyone will always hate who's on top. So next time, before you group millions of people into one stereotype, why don't you pause for a minute and think about how ridiculous that is. Thank you.

Oh, and how does Mercury Morris escape any criticism, after his ridiculous "rap" on ESPN, and continuing commentary? This guy is a pompus :censored:, saying all the wrong things and somehow, still flying under the radar.

Oh, and how does Mercury Morris escape any criticism, after his ridiculous "rap" on ESPN, and continuing commentary? This guy is a pompus :censored:, saying all the wrong things and somehow, still flying under the radar.

No one cares about Mercury Morris, that's why.

Unfortunately the way Bostonian sports fans are perceived by the rest of America is the way Americans are perceived worldwide. "We're the greatest nation on Earth, our economy's in the toilet and we can still afford whatever we want, our military's the most advanced in human history, and all this despite spending more effort pursuing Paris Hilton's inebriated exploits instead of following what's going on in the rest of the world, so suck it you second-rate mother****ers!" Real classy - on both counts.

In my own head, I was connecting the rise of the Patriots to the hubris of the American conservative movement circa 1994-2006, but yeah, that works too.

Deal.

This gets me thinking...who are going to be the couple of crotchety old bastards that people are going to be sick of in 20-30 years? I'm betting on Teddy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison.

If it makes you feel any better Speedy, I don't hate any of your teams or any of the New England states. I hate the arrogant, pompous, blowhard fans. That does not mean I think all of the fans are arrogant, pompous, or blowhards, but I think those are the ones that we see more, hear more from, and have posting on fine sites like this one.

But of course, I'm going to be seen as just another Patriots hater because I'm not slobbering Patriot nation. Let's make this clear, the team is great, absolutely amazing, and deserving of all accolades (as well as deserving of the title of Cheaters...since they, you know, cheated). Brady is all-time great. Moss is all-time great. Belicheat is all-time great.

Some of the fans are even great, but none of you can dispute that a great many of them suck eggs. Hard. And those are the ones that I offer a heartfelt, ":censored: y'all!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

In my own head, I was connecting the rise of the Patriots to the hubris of the American conservative movement circa 1994-2006, but yeah, that works too.

Just remember, when Boston sports teams win, the terrorists win! :cursing:

nav-logo.png

16-0 doesn't mean the Pats have a perfect season.

It means that now, they'd better have one, because now one loss ruins the whole enchilada. No perfect season or Lombardi Trophy, and if I may be so bold, the end of the dynasty.

CCSLC signature.png

I call bull*hit. You mean to tell me you wouldn't want the Browns, Cavaliers and Indians all competing for a championship every year? Liar.

Sure I would and I know that unlike Boston fans, we'd handle it with class. In fact, The Indians did compete for a championship through most of the 90's. I don't recall us turning into total asses because of it. The Browns were contenders in the mid 80's and we weren't asses about it. The Cavs made the finals last year and we weren't :censored:s about it.

Come to think of it, in Cleveland we were contenders in The NFL, NBA, and MLB this season but I don't recall a single thread that spent much time hating on the Browns, Cavs, or Indians. I don't think the same can be said of the Red Sox or Patriots. Even Buckeyes Fans don't get the hate that Boston fans do and I know how obnoxious Ohio State fans can be.

And is it just me or did you people not give a flying :censored: about the Patriots until they started winning?

BB52Big.jpg

There is no crime in being a loyal, vocal fan. There is no shame in fervently supporting your team. It is even tolerable and sometimes downright humorous to engage in harmless smack talk with fans of a rival team.

HOWEVER

It seems that as of late, much of the "debate" that has gone on between supporters and detractors of certain teams has jumped the fence of decency and found itself smack dab in the middle of discourteous, inane and downright crude mudslinging of the lowest possible order.

Granted, this forum is far from the Algonquin Round Table, however it would be nice if the sports debates in this forum could be conducted with a bit more decorum than those as of late. Malicious namecalling and tasteless pejoratives (look it up if you must) will not be tolerated. Debate with facts, not with outrageous, baseless opinions. And if someone steps out of line, don't interpret that as an invitation to lower yourself to the offender's level. A mod will eventually clean up the offensive post - and don't hesitate to report any such offensive posts - we do have a report feature here.

Sports debates are great when conducted as debates. When they are overshadowed or simply overwhelmed by petty or nasty bickering they are no longer enjoyable and simply spill over into other parts of the community. Don't be a part of the problem; conduct your arguments with civility or prepare to have your posts edited and possibly face further disciplinary action by the mods.

Thank you.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

And is it just me or did you people not give a flying :censored: about the Patriots until they started winning?

...hence the constant blackouts of Patriots games in the 1980-early 1990s.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived