Pirates phasing out alternate logo?

BigEd76

Although they are consistently one of the worst teams in the league, recordwise, they could very well be the best dressed team in all of MLB... once they ditch the red, that is.

Oh, the bitter irony.

Especially when you throw in PNC Park...

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a fan of this package since it was released. I really liked the color scheme and the addition of red to the logo and a few of the subsequent change in the uniforms. I thought it added something to the overall look. I liked this look:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=4127

That said, the new uniforms are wonderful, and I have a hard time sacrificing such a great look just to be able to have a little red. However, red has been in the scheme in logo form for most of the time from 1936 to today, so there's definitely historical precedent. See here:

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=71

Obviously, the team is looking at the best ways to market the team. I think the Pirates have missed a GOLDEN opportunity to engage a younger generation of fan by capitalizing on the current pirate fad. There are so many kids who are really into the entire theme, and it's amazing to me that there isn't more of a pirate "feel" to the way they approach their marketing. I don't think I've seen kids dress in pirate garb when I go to games, which is a shame.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

The problem with the modifications up there is that it's still not the same Priates script as the one on the home uniform. I don't know why, but that bugs me.

Also, what bugs me abou thte jersey script is that the P is bigger than the rest of the letters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I loved the pillboxes when I was a kid, and always wanted one. I think they should at least play around with it and see if it would work as an alternate. I also favor not using red, even though I don't think it looks bad. I just thinks it's too many colors, and the black and gold works so well by itself. Maybe seeing the pillbox on the field would make fans think, "Hey, wait a minute, these are the Pirates, and they're supposed to be good."

The only concept I ever drew in my life was when I was about eleven years old. Our team had the traditional one color (red) over white Little League look, just plain, plain, plian. I drew a concept that paid homage to the Bucs, with red pants, white shirt and red pillbox cap. I used royal blue for the trim. It was a recolored Pirates rip-off.

I too wish the Pirates had some sense and figured out how to produce a winner, to go along with their incredible stadium, sports-minded city, fine tradition and killer unis. This is coming from a die-hard Reds fan, too.

they're probably ditchin' it because some liberal parents group decided that it scares children.

LOL, I was going to say that! LOL

great minds think alike?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Here. Quick Fix.

12781.gif

No Red = Usable!

Or, if the yellow lettering looks too thick, here ya go:

12782.gif

(I did this rather quickly in paint, thus the faint red bits here and there. Just wanted to convey the idea.)

Additionally:

12751.gif

That makes it infinitely better, but I've always thought the skull logo was waaaay too reminiscent of the Buccaneers. The second one looks good with the red taken out too, I'd just remove it from the uniforms altogether. They have one of the classiest looks in the league right now, minus that guy on the sleeve and the alternates.

And to whoever suggested a return to this:

2309.gif

That's always been one of the gayest looking pirates I've ever seen.

And doing a quick browse of the older logos, I think this has potential if it was updated:

2893.gif

I never liked those 1979-era Pirate unis. I found them to be completely garish, with those ridiculous wide pinstripes, the black jerseys, the oversized wordmark, and all those crazy combinations. (I did like the pillbox cap, though, but not those Stargell stars.)

For me, this is the best Pirate uni ever:

AABB012~Roberto-Clemente-Posters.jpgmoose.jpg

I normally prefer button-down shirts and belted pants, but here the pullovers and waistbands are done beautifully. And those socks are gorgeous.

By the way, I believe that this uniform came in during the 1971 season, debuting at the opening of Three Rivers Stadium. Is this the only time a Major League team has changed unis mid-season? (The only other instance in any major league that I can think of is when the LA Galaxy changed their unis in the middle of last season upon the arrival of David Beckham.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

It was a long time ago, but the Black Hawks changed their uniforms midway through the season in 1935. There are no other MLB teams that I know of that have made a radical change to the uniforms midseason.

BlackHawks2a.gif

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think that what they have is pretty great, but I think even a trip down memory lane to these Ralph Kiner-era duds would be better. (Sleeves and different arched lettering......Both pics are of HOFer Ralph Kiner)

Kiner2.jpg

ralphkiner2.jpg

I personally love that Pirate logo that they are apparently phasing. IDK why, but Ive always loved it.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Archived