Houston Oilers

Grish

I like your thinking and Yes I would have to argee , That if the Oilers were still in Houston in a modern NFL that they would have updated somebit just to stay with the times who knows you could have seen the Sliver helmet come back maybe more Sliver all through out the uniform , or just staying close to what it was and just smooth out the numbers maybe a update derrick and a scarlet Alt jersey . ..... white helmet , scarlet alt and columbia pants ... or white helmet, columbia top and sliver pants ... just imagne , they could bring back the number font they had in the 60's .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine if the Oilers never moved they would have updated by now. I can imagine them tweaking them like the Cardinals or Vikings. It would be interesting to see a concept of that.

I hate the Titans and hate that they are wearing the Columbia Blue pants, mainly because it actually makes their uniforms look decent. I'm happier when the Titans look ugly like they usually do and the Columbia Blue is painful because it reminds me of the Oilers.

As a fan of both teams I'm glad that the Texans and Oilers will always be separate. I think the nostalgia for the Oilers will always be there here in Houston. One day, however, most of the fans here will have no memory of that team. Even now, I just realized that I've been a Texans fan for six seasons and was an Oilers fan for seven seasons.

Comparing the two uniforms I have to go with the Texans, even though there will always be a place in my heart for the Columbia Blue and Scarlet Red.

By the way, this is the shelf above my computer monitor:

IMG_2176.jpg

That's a rare lunch box. It has the Bucs in the AFC.

I imagine if the Oilers never moved they would have updated by now. I can imagine them tweaking them like the Cardinals or Vikings. It would be interesting to see a concept of that.

I hate the Titans and hate that they are wearing the Columbia Blue pants, mainly because it actually makes their uniforms look decent. I'm happier when the Titans look ugly like they usually do and the Columbia Blue is painful because it reminds me of the Oilers.

As a fan of both teams I'm glad that the Texans and Oilers will always be separate. I think the nostalgia for the Oilers will always be there here in Houston. One day, however, most of the fans here will have no memory of that team. Even now, I just realized that I've been a Texans fan for six seasons and was an Oilers fan for seven seasons.

Comparing the two uniforms I have to go with the Texans, even though there will always be a place in my heart for the Columbia Blue and Scarlet Red.

By the way, this is the shelf above my computer monitor:

IMG_2176.jpg

I used to have that mug (okay, not that mug, but, you know...)!

I grew up on Luv Ya Blue, Earl Campbell ramming that poor Rams defender, Bum's campaign to "Kick the door in."

I have several mini helmets. The only one I keep in my front room is an Oilers helmet (red face-mask, run-n-shoot era) with a Warren Moon autograph my best friend got for me. And I'd have it there even without the autograph.

Here's another photo of the Oilers' Silver unis that I have in a book:

HoustonOilers_circa1970.jpg

One thing that I've mentioned before, is that the "Columbia Blue" in those days was a different color than it ended up being in later years.

Here's the original Blue (it was actually called "Silver-Blue" in some official documents I've seen):

HoustonOilersSilver-Blue_SOL.jpg

...and here's the shade it ended up being:

HoustonOilersLightBlue_SOL.jpg

That's also the same color the Titans now use and call "Titans Blue".

"If Austin has roughly the same population as San Francisco..although I'm not sure if that includes the students of Univ of Texas....why can't they have an NFL franchise?

If Hartford was being considered for the new home of the Patriots..why can't they have an NFL franchise now:? You know if the Pats had moved to Hartford, Boston would've petitioned (and received) a new franchise...so why can't there ba an NFL franchise in both?"

It's not as simple as population. With the NFL, you have to worry about TV markets and corporate sponsors and all of that. Also, the Pats own Hartford's market and I'd guess that Dallas would own Austin's. On top of that, Austin is probably too dedicated to college football to care about having its own NFL team.

If we gave every biggish city in the country a franchise, there'd be twice as many teams in the league and it would be ridiculous.

I don't know if a team "owns" a market. I know you need approval from the majority of the NFL to establish a team within 75 miles of an existing franchise.

Actually, being a logo buff, I can'tthink of anything greater than the NFL going from 32 teams to 40 teams....bring it on!!!!!

Move the Cardinals back to Chicago (1)

And introduce

AUSTIN NIGHTWINGS

LA (or California) CONDORS

BIRMINGHAM MAMMOTHS

PORTLAND SEA WOLVES

PHOENIX FIREBIRDS

LAS VEGAS BIGHORNS

HARTFORD WHALERS (that ol' logo is just sitting there)

SAN ANTONIO SCORPIONS

40 teams, 8 divisions of 5 each.

And how come teams threaten to leave a city because that city won't build them a new state-of-the-art stadium..and so after the team moves...the first thing the city does to secure one of the coveted new franchises...is to build a new stadium?

You could be adding St.Louis to that list. They blew it. build a new stadium on the cheap. and its already one of the worst in the league and potentially lose your team to the city you stole it from. i can always hope.

We'll see. The LA situation is one that the League feels cannot continue, and expansion ought be off the table. That relocated franchise has to come from somewhere, and St. Louis seems as good as any.

I have heard that the Jaguars and Bills are candidates as well.

sorry saw some old clips and i miss these...

Moon_Warren_150-1881.jpg

great uni' to bad the owner had to leave town...

In a perfect world......okay, in MY world...the Oilers would've remained in Houston and we'd still have the Houston Oilers (GO BLUE). Of course, we'd also still have the Baltimore Colts and New York Titans and I'm not sure where I'd have the Rams...they might as well have moved them to Indy since in my word there would never have been an Indianapolis Colts.

I do like the Texans logo though but couldn't it have been used for an expansion team in San Antonio or Austin...named the Toros?

If Austin has roughly the same population as San Francisco..although I'm not sure if that includes the students of Univ of Texas....why can't they have an NFL franchise?

If Hartford was being considered for the new home of the Patriots..why can't they have an NFL franchise now:? You know if the Pats had moved to Hartford, Boston would've petitioned (and received) a new franchise...so why can't there ba an NFL franchise in both?

And how come teams threaten to leave a city because that city won't build them a new state-of-the-art stadium..and so after the team moves...the first thing the city does to secure one of the coveted new franchises...is to build a new stadium?

rid-30112.gif

Oh man, that helmet is beauteous.

helmet1966-70.gif

helmet1972-74.gif

I don't know if a team "owns" a market. I know you need approval from the majority of the NFL to establish a team within 75 miles of an existing franchise.

Actually, being a logo buff, I can'tthink of anything greater than the NFL going from 32 teams to 40 teams....bring it on!!!!!

And introduce

AUSTIN NIGHTWINGS

BIRMINGHAM MAMMOTHS

PORTLAND SEA WOLVES

PHOENIX FIREBIRDS

LAS VEGAS BIGHORNS

SAN ANTONIO SCORPIONS

xlr8r - is that you???

<_<

"If Austin has roughly the same population as San Francisco..although I'm not sure if that includes the students of Univ of Texas....why can't they have an NFL franchise?

If Hartford was being considered for the new home of the Patriots..why can't they have an NFL franchise now:? You know if the Pats had moved to Hartford, Boston would've petitioned (and received) a new franchise...so why can't there ba an NFL franchise in both?"

It's not as simple as population. With the NFL, you have to worry about TV markets and corporate sponsors and all of that. Also, the Pats own Hartford's market and I'd guess that Dallas would own Austin's. On top of that, Austin is probably too dedicated to college football to care about having its own NFL team.

If we gave every biggish city in the country a franchise, there'd be twice as many teams in the league and it would be ridiculous.

And introduce

AUSTIN NIGHTWINGS

BIRMINGHAM MAMMOTHS

PORTLAND SEA WOLVES

PHOENIX FIREBIRDS

LAS VEGAS BIGHORNS

SAN ANTONIO SCORPIONS

Sorry, terrible idea. We currently have 5-6 good teams and the rest are mediocre or bad. With that plan we'd have 5-6 good teams and even more that are mediocre or bad. Plus the fact that many of those cities couldn't support NFL football.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

One thing that I've mentioned before, is that the "Columbia Blue" in those days was a different color than it ended up being in later years.

Here's the original Blue (it was actually called "Silver-Blue" in some official documents I've seen):

If you don't mind me asking, what's the title of the book? I'm always on the lookout for color photos from the AFL era.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

And introduce

AUSTIN NIGHTWINGS

BIRMINGHAM MAMMOTHS

PORTLAND SEA WOLVES

PHOENIX FIREBIRDS

LAS VEGAS BIGHORNS

SAN ANTONIO SCORPIONS

Sorry, terrible idea. We currently have 5-6 good teams and the rest are mediocre or bad. With that plan we'd have 5-6 good teams and even more that are mediocre or bad. Plus the fact that many of those cities couldn't support NFL football.

Green Bay does okay.

Birmingham has supported all the pro football teams that have been there.

I can't say that LA would support a team but in their halcyon days, the Rams had great support there.

I can't see why Vegas wouldn't support a team,the tourists alone might want to take in a game and the area is growing.

Would Portland, San Antonio and Hartford support teams....who knows?

I don't know but being an old Houston Oilers fan in the mid 70s, their version of Columbia Blue seems a tad lighter than the version used by the current Tennessee Titans even so you claim it is the same color. The Titans version looks a little darker-more juiced. Maybe the quality of televison today..............

I don't know but being an old Houston Oilers fan in the mid 70s, their version of Columbia Blue seems a tad lighter than the version used by the current Tennessee Titans even so you claim it is the same color. The Titans version looks a little darker-more juiced. Maybe the quality of televison today..............

I've got Style Guide evidence back to at least '87 that shows that the Pantone values are the same. But then again, I'm referring to the color used for printing. The fabric/textile color did undergo changes between the 1998 and 1999 and then again between the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

Textile colors weren't provided until the 1997 season.

I'll provide examples of the fabric changes in a little bit...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the title of the book? I'm always on the lookout for color photos from the AFL era.

Check out a book called "The Other League" it's out of print, but you can find it used online.

Archived