Football Giants vs. Green Bay Packers

nybatt

For us history lovers on the board, this weekend's Giant-Packer game will feature unis ALMOST identical to the ones worn Dec. 31, 1961, the last time the giants visited lambeau for an NFC championship game (which the giants lost 37-0).

I know the packers alterations that have occurred since '61 include: different sleeve striping, lack of sock striping, a green facemask, and the lack of black cleats.

For the giants, the uniform is basically the same that was worn that day. The differences being: a thicker "ny" on the helmets, block numbers on the helmets (as opposed to the italicized worn in '61), lack of sleeves, "TV" numbers on the shoulders (as opposed to the sleeves), the thin "road" striping on the pants, and of course names on the jerseys.

Even with these minor changes it is great to see history repeating itself in 2008. Hopefully the final score will also undergo some "alterations" as well!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On one hand, you have GB that takes their timeless, classic look and updated it to match present day (green mask, smaller stripes, solid socks) and on the other hand, you have NY who's unofficial nickname is "big blue" and has about one ounce of blue in their away and alternate sets. They will be sporting a white jersey that is inferior to the one it replaced, looks dated, and doesn't match the home or alternate's style...and as an added bonus, it will be coupled with one of the nearly identical two sets of gray pants.

But I guess that's what the old schoolers want so be happy for this matchup!

KISSwall09.jpg

But I guess that's what the old schoolers want so be happy for this matchup!

Oh, we are !! Too bad the Pats and Chargers look so much different from what they wore when they played for the '63 AFL championship... :)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Classic old school matchup at revered Lambeau field. I, for one, can't wait. :D

And I for one will be there! I'm flying into Milwaukee on Friday night and my cousins and I are driving up to the game. We have section 103! Go Pack Go!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

And I for one will be there! I'm flying into Milwaukee on Friday night and my cousins and I are driving up to the game. We have section 103! Go Pack Go!

Section 103? Isn't that, like, first deck near the end zone? Be sure to take lots of pictures.

I, too, am glad to hear this. It seems that most of the NFC teams in this year's playoffs have more classic looks than their AFC counterparts.

It's going to be a COLD one this weekend, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The Giants away uniforms are FANTASTIC!!!

They need to make the road pants the permanent ones. That's my only gripe.

I love this matchup. It is a football historians dream. The only thing that could make this better is if it was at Yankee Stadium... :-P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I dont care if its historical, I think the When i see people wearing a giants road uni, its takes a couple of seconds for me to realize its a giants uni.

I'm with you on that one... a few times I confused them with the Cardinals.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'll be thinking of you fondly, freezing your carcass off while I sit at home at a nice, toasty 72 degrees, watching the same game and getting a better view.

But that aside, I'm with you - Go Pack!

nav-logo.png

I dont care if its historical, I think the When i see people wearing a giants road uni, its takes a couple of seconds for me to realize its a giants uni.

I'm with you on that one... a few times I confused them with the Cardinals.

Yea, i can see that, as the Cardinals blue helmets so closely match the Giants. :P

Love ya, Chris!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Giants' home uniforms are perhaps the best in the sport. Even better than my Packers (with the 80s and 90s "improvements).

The road uniforms need some work. Lose the sleeve stripes, since nobody wears sleeves, and ditch the pointless alternate pants. The Giants home pants work because they echo the helmet - red stripe on blue - while the road pants are fussy and busy with the extraneous gray stripes.

The uniforms the Giants got rid of for their current set were much better looking than what they're wearing now. I can understand going back to the NY helmet, but the rest of the set is a downgrade.

For us history lovers on the board, this weekend's Giant-Packer game will feature unis ALMOST identical to the ones worn Dec. 31, 1961, the last time the giants visited lambeau for an NFC championship game (which the giants lost 37-0).

I know the packers alterations that have occurred since '61 include: different sleeve striping, lack of sock striping, a green facemask, and the lack of black cleats.

For the giants, the uniform is basically the same that was worn that day. The differences being: a thicker "ny" on the helmets, block numbers on the helmets (as opposed to the italicized worn in '61), lack of sleeves, "TV" numbers on the shoulders (as opposed to the sleeves), the thin "road" striping on the pants, and of course names on the jerseys.

Even with these minor changes it is great to see history repeating itself in 2008. Hopefully the final score will also undergo some "alterations" as well!!

I like the "old time" look of these two historic franchises. And I like the Jints road Whites. Reminds me of the great Browns-Giants battles. From 1950 until 1965 the Browns or Giants won the Eastern Conference of the NFL every year but 1960 (Phila). The Giants also played the Pack in the 1962 NFL Championship Game. The '62 game was held at the original configuration of Yankee Stadium. Final score: Green Bay 16, New York Giants 7 before 64,892 fans.

Speaking of the '39 title game (threadjack?), I always knew it took place at State Fair Park (which is technically in West Allis, not Milwaukee... but I digress) and I always assumed that back then the park had a football field. It wasn't until recently that I read how they built a grandstand on the infield of the Milwaukee Mile. I know this might be trying to find a needle in a haystack, but does anyone have pics that show how that was set up?

EDIT: I just remembered I read that in wiki... take that for what it's worth.

Archived