Football Giants vs. Green Bay Packers

nybatt

to briefly chime in on the giants current road unis... I'm a huge fan of them... if anything I think the lack of blue in the "cloth" makes them one of the most unique road unis in the sport. secondly, the whole "nickname is big blue" argument doesn't hold much water. if you think back to the unis they wore throughout the 80's and 90's the only blue on the road was in the numerals and a thin pant stripe... using the nickname theory they should've been referred to as "BIG WHITE"... (ironically 2 other NY teams have non-corresponding nicknames: the yankees are ALWAYS referred to as the "pinstripes" even when in their road greys, and the rangers are called the "broadway blueshirts" even when donning their road whites)

the giants road unis went from being some of the most bland in the game during the "GIANTS" years to one of the most unique, "clean" looks in the league today... as the story goes, the return to these late '50's unis was one of the final wishes of deceased owner wellington mara. not to be overly dramatic, but they were his favorites. with this in mind I don't think we'll see any change to the road design in the near future (thank you!).

as for the pant striping, it is a great inclusion of the throwback look. they fit perfectly with the road white/reds... looking at photos from the late '50's I actually think they look great with the home blues as well! lastly, I agree that the northwestern striping would look MUCH better on "real" sleeves. that being said, I love the fact that the giants are now the only team in the NFL that has them.

to toss the argument to the pack's unis, I believe there are few teams that look more out of place with white cleats than GB. a classic look with gaudy white shoes!! blah!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont care if its historical, I think the When i see people wearing a giants road uni, its takes a couple of seconds for me to realize its a giants uni.

I'm with you on that one... a few times I confused them with the Cardinals.

Yea, i can see that, as the Cardinals blue helmets so closely match the Giants. :P

Love ya, Chris!

Wow, fans are wearing helmets with their jerseys down there? You guys are hardcore.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

to briefly chime in on the giants current road unis... I'm a huge fan of them... if anything I think the lack of blue in the "cloth" makes them one of the most unique road unis in the sport. secondly, the whole "nickname is big blue" argument doesn't hold much water. if you think back to the unis they wore throughout the 80's and 90's the only blue on the road was in the numerals and a thin pant stripe... using the nickname theory they should've been referred to as "BIG WHITE"... (ironically 2 other NY teams have non-corresponding nicknames: the yankees are ALWAYS referred to as the "pinstripes" even when in their road greys, and the rangers are called the "broadway blueshirts" even when donning their road whites)

the giants road unis went from being some of the most bland in the game during the "GIANTS" years to one of the most unique, "clean" looks in the league today... as the story goes, the return to these late '50's unis was one of the final wishes of deceased owner wellington mara. not to be overly dramatic, but they were his favorites. with this in mind I don't think we'll see any change to the road design in the near future (thank you!).

as for the pant striping, it is a great inclusion of the throwback look. they fit perfectly with the road white/reds... looking at photos from the late '50's I actually think they look great with the home blues as well! lastly, I agree that the northwestern striping would look MUCH better on "real" sleeves. that being said, I love the fact that the giants are now the only team in the NFL that has them.

to toss the argument to the pack's unis, I believe there are few teams that look more out of place with white cleats than GB. a classic look with gaudy white shoes!! blah!

Nice post.

metslogo_215.gif

I dont care if its historical, I think the When i see people wearing a giants road uni, its takes a couple of seconds for me to realize its a giants uni.

Yea, i can see that, as the Cardinals blue helmets so closely match the Giants. :P

Love ya, Chris!

Wow, fans are wearing helmets with their jerseys down there? You guys are hardcore.

Giants fans don't fu*k around, brother, you should know that. :P

(Sorry, i misread the post... They still don't look like the Cardinals, though...)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think the 'Big Blue' argument holds a few gallons more than yours. The Giants are called 'Big Blue' because of their blue helmets and predominantly blue home uniforms. It's a team nickname, which has been given to them by their fans. When Giant fans see their team, they see them at the Meadowlands, wearing blue. Your logic in telling me that they should have been called 'Big White' in the 80s is flawed. There's never, to my knowledge, been a team nicknamed after their road uniforms. Presumably, this is because fans don't generally attend road games like they do home games and don't feel the same attachment when watching a team on T.V. in its road whites (though they might want to start calling the Giants 'Big White' after their success away from home this year). What's more, you said, "If you think back to the unis they wore throughout the 80s and 90s, the only blue on the road was in the numerals and a thin pant stripe." What else can be blue on the road uniform beside the helmet, numerals and pant stripe? The pants, I guess, but the Giants have never been warm to blue pants, so that's a moot point altogether. With all that said, I actually love how unique the red and white without any blue looks on the road. :P I was just pointing out to you that your argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I hate the road pants, by the way. Give me blue pants with a red stripe, just like the helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I was slightly preferential to the first road jersey (the one with the blue) but this thread got me to thinking....

Are Dallas and the Giants the only NFL teams with a significant design difference between the home and road jerseys?

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Are Dallas and the Giants the only NFL teams with a significant design difference between the home and road jerseys?

The Bills. If we take that the all-blue is home (though it's not) and the all-white is road (and it's not either), then they're as dissimilar as the Giants. The blue pants have extra stripes compared to the white, while the road white jerseys has a yoke and the home jersey has none. That and the home numbers have a dual outline (white and navy), while the road numbers have just one outline (navy).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think the 'Big Blue' argument holds a few gallons more than yours. The Giants are called 'Big Blue' because of their blue helmets and predominantly blue home uniforms. It's a team nickname, which has been given to them by their fans. When Giant fans see their team, they see them at the Meadowlands, wearing blue. Your logic in telling me that they should have been called 'Big White' in the 80s is flawed. There's never, to my knowledge, been a team nicknamed after their road uniforms. Presumably, this is because fans don't generally attend road games like they do home games and don't feel the same attachment when watching a team on T.V. in its road whites (though they might want to start calling the Giants 'Big White' after their success away from home this year). What's more, you said, "If you think back to the unis they wore throughout the 80s and 90s, the only blue on the road was in the numerals and a thin pant stripe." What else can be blue on the road uniform beside the helmet, numerals and pant stripe? The pants, I guess, but the Giants have never been warm to blue pants, so that's a moot point altogether. With all that said, I actually love how unique the red and white without any blue looks on the road. :P I was just pointing out to you that your argument doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I hate the road pants, by the way. Give me blue pants with a red stripe, just like the helmet.

the way I read the first comment about my post the writer stated that he did not like the road unis because of the lack of blue and that it did not fit the team's nickname. my point was that it was not accurate to criticize a team's road uniform if/when the nickname applies to what the squad wears at home. my "big white" was tounge-in-cheek.. sorry I didn't use an "emoticon"!! hopefully that clears up my argument that didn't make a whole lot of sense... B)

the "whiteout" road unis of the '80's and '90's were even more bland due to the "high whites" that were the fashion of the day (especially in the 80's). so, memories of LT and the rest of the giants in the '80's bring back more "snowman" than good looking uniform. (bad ass snowmen I might add!!) thankfully players are more "down" with the low-whites now, adding to unis accross the board.

the blue-pant disco giants experiment of '75 and '76 have long been buried, thank God.

One thing that bugs me about both the Giants home and road sets is how low the front numbers are set compared to any other team. It just looks...off. Compare those Manning and Favre photos above, and you'll see what I mean.

One thing that bugs me about both the Giants home and road sets is how low the front numbers are set compared to any other team. It just looks...off. Compare those Manning and Favre photos above, and you'll see what I mean.

Very true. They look like fans wearing hockey sweaters, with the really low crests.

For some reason, Manning's "C" patch is really low - below the shoulders and on the main body of his jersey. Farve's straddles the seam. And that stupid logo below the collar - why stack them like that? Move the "NY" to the chest (like the Steelers and Jets) and you don't have to push the numbers down to the player's navel.

The Giants are rumored to be getting a new jersey cut next season, so maybe they'll fix the problem then.

Y'know, until you mentioned it, I didn't realize what it was that I found strange about their unis. The numbers definately need to move up. All and all, I love the look. I think its unique to have an all white and red jersey matched up against the blue helmet and grey pants. When you apply conventional uniform design theory, it really shouldn't work...but it does. I guess thats why I like it so much. It kind of goes against the grain. I do have to admit that it is a bit unnecessary to have TWO sets of grey pants, but I understand why they do it....its still pretty unnecessary.

I wanted this game to happen actually. I thought because of the classic matchup and the classic unis, that it would be a blast to watch. My TV will be turned to fox while the ever-boring Pats take on the so gonna get killed Chargers. I cant even watch a Pats game anymore - not only because I hate the team, but because they make me fall asleep. But anyways back to the Giants-Packers game....I cannot wait to watch it. Ohhh boy!!!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

my point was that it was not accurate to criticize a team's road uniform if/when the nickname applies to what the squad wears at home. my "big white" was tounge-in-cheek.

But you can't have a blue road jersey. If the Giants could wear blue on the road, they probably would, but they can't and that doesn't mean they're not still 'Big Blue' when they're playing somewhere else. You don't shed a nickname when you leave town. Your friends and your fans are still going to call you by your nickname whenever they talk to or about you. The name 'Big Blue' or 'Big Red Machine' is a nickname for the team because that's their color, the primary color they use to identify themselves both at and away from home. So yes, while I love the jersey, I think it's more than fair to criticize the jersey for not having any blue because the team is nicknamed 'Big Blue', even away from the Meadowlands.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I went to the game when they played the Falcons here, and honestly, for half a second, when their fans wore the away jersey, at first glance I thought that they were wearing shabby Falcons throwbacks. Then I saw the NY wordmark and remembered.

Nonetheless, I still think it's cool that this game is basically going to be a slightly modernized version of the 1961 game, uniform-wise.

They will be sporting a white jersey that is inferior to the one it replaced, looks dated, and doesn't match the home or alternate's style...and as an added bonus, it will be coupled with one of the nearly identical two sets of gray pants.

I agree that the Giants road unis could use some blue but the '00-'04 road jersey was just plain hideous. The current jersey is much much better. The only thing wrong with it is that it does not fit with the team's unofficial nickname. Other than that, it's perfect.

BCBannersSig.png

If anyone cares, here's the photo album from my trip to the NFC Championship:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2453...&id=2009588

Too bad it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. There's always next year. Go Pack Go!

On a side note, Miami Dolphins quarterback Trent Green was on my flight home from Milwaukee. He was at the game doing something for the NFL Network. 2nd time I've met him and he's a cool guy.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Too bad it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. There's always next year. Go Pack Go!

On a side note, Miami Dolphins quarterback Trent Green was on my flight home from Milwaukee. He was at the game doing something for the NFL Network. 2nd time I've met him and he's a cool guy.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that put his dog in a Favre jersey. I found one at the Thrift Shop for $4 (like a toddler size, but a decent replica by NFL standards).

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that put his dog in a Favre jersey. I found one at the Thrift Shop for $4 (like a toddler size, but a decent replica by NFL standards).

Yeah that's my cousin's dog Maxie. We put her in a jersey and a hat, but she kept swinging her head to throw the hat off.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived