Spectrum eyed for demolition?

BB61

Article

For those of you who are too young to remember, the Spectrum (now the Wachovia Spectrum) was home of the Flyers and Sixers from 1967 to 1996, when they both moved into the Wachovia Center. It also hosted the A-10 tournament for a couple of years until they moved it to Dayton. Today, the only regular tenants are the Phantoms (AHL) and the KiXX (MISL).

Despite the apparent willingness to try and keep those two teams in Philadelphia, I cannot see how that's possible when there are four other regular tenants (Flyers, Sixers, Soul, and Wings) at the Center, not to mention the numerous other events and concerts that they do.

But I could be wrong.

Anyway, it's sad, especially since the old building was the catalyst for the Flyers, and is still a great place to watch a game (especially the odd Soul game -- nothing beats 17,000 people in that little sardine can shouting "Dallas Sucks!")

philly.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Article

For those of you who are too young to remember, the Spectrum (now the Wachovia Spectrum) was home of the Flyers and Sixers from 1967 to 1996, when they both moved into the Wachovia Center. It also hosted the A-10 tournament for a couple of years until they moved it to Dayton. Today, the only regular tenants are the Phantoms (AHL) and the KiXX (MISL).

Despite the apparent willingness to try and keep those two teams in Philadelphia, I cannot see how that's possible when there are four other regular tenants (Flyers, Sixers, Soul, and Wings) at the Center, not to mention the numerous other events and concerts that they do.

But I could be wrong.

Anyway, it's sad, especially since the old building was the catalyst for the Flyers, and is still a great place to watch a game (especially the odd Soul game -- nothing beats 17,000 people in that little sardine can shouting "Dallas Sucks!")

Wow, for some reason I thought the place already went kaboom.

Article

But I could be wrong.

Wow, for some reason I thought the place already went kaboom.

You might be thinking of the Veterans Stadium (aka "The Vet" aka "the Dump" aka my favorite use of concrete) was the home of the Eagles and Phillies since the 70’s (I think). In terms of the old spectrum, never been inside but I don’t see why it was not just renovate it back in 03 when the Soul came to be. I was fortunate to go to a Soul game last season and the top deck had maybe 3 people there. Why not use the Spectrum?

EDIT: After reading the article, my heart dropped. Who goes to Philly wanting' some fancy hotel eh? Philly is a blue collar place, it would be a shame to see whit collars take it over.

Rocky fought there - it should be considered a landmark and saved from the wrecking ball.

Actually, while I think it's cool that the minor league teams still play there, I'm for any plan that brings retail and food / bars to that area. The sports complex is and always was a horrible idea, but maybe this is the start of making it a fun area.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rocky fought there - it should be considered a landmark and saved from the wrecking ball.

I'm one of the biggest fans of the Rocky sextology alive, but even I don't think the Spectrum should be kept alive simply because he 'fought' there.

As I've said a number of times on other subjects, sports is a business, first and foremost. If the powers that be figure they can turn more dollars by razing the Spectrum and putting up something else, they'll do it - and history be damned.

Doesn't make it right, though.

nav-logo.png

I'm one of the biggest fans of the Rocky sextology alive, but even I don't think the Spectrum should be kept alive simply because he 'fought' there.

As I've said a number of times on other subjects, sports is a business, first and foremost. If the powers that be figure they can turn more dollars by razing the Spectrum and putting up something else, they'll do it - and history be damned.

Doesn't make it right, though.

I was being sarcastic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually, I thought that his fight scenes were done at the (now defunct) Civic Center.

And Krock, the Soul only play there when the Center is booked. In 2006, they played there because the Center was booked for Sixers / Flyers playoff games (ha!) and last year they played there because of the Roger Waters concert.

You'd also be surprised as to the "swankiness" of the city. Generally speaking we may be a blue-collar town, but the Center City area is full of $500-$1,000 a night hotels and high rise condos.

philly.png

Actually, I thought that his fight scenes were done at the (now defunct) Civic Center.

And Krock, the Soul only play there when the Center is booked. In 2006, they played there because the Center was booked for Sixers / Flyers playoff games (ha!) and last year they played there because of the Roger Waters concert.

You'd also be surprised as to the "swankiness" of the city. Generally speaking we may be a blue-collar town, but the Center City area is full of $500-$1,000 a night hotels and high rise condos.

Actually, the fight scenes were done in Los Angeles, at the old Sports Arena.

You mean Philly doesn't look like it did in 1976?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I realized that there need to be some "swankiness" for a big city to survive. Also, I just proposed the Spectrum as an Idea, I know it never happened.

Edit: I'm also willing to bet that Soul game in the Spectrum was louder then in the Center.

Somehow, I've never been in the Spectrum (Feb. 21st'll be my first time there for the Foo Fighters concert). If it means less of a hassle to park on days there are multiple events in the complex, I'm all for making the Spectrum go boom. If they do demolish the Spectrum, does this mean the Phantoms are gonna leave Philly? I don't see an alternative, but I like that the Phantoms and Flyguys play right across the parking lot from one another.

If they do demolish the Spectrum, does this mean the Phantoms are gonna leave Philly? I don't see an alternative, but I like that the Phantoms and Flyguys play right across the parking lot from one another.

The only alternative is for a new arena to be built somewhere either in the city or in the suburbs. The only feasable arena that I can think of is Soverign Bank Arena in Trenton, but that's currently occupied (unless they want to by the rights to the city from the Devils).

Hell, let's put 'em in Chester. They're building everything else there, right?

philly.png

Put 'em in the Skatium in Havertown.

Is it suitable for an AHL franchise?

No - but it's a fun place to watch a game!

Is it suitable for an AHL franchise?

Well....if the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena and War Memorial at Oncenter are... :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, I'm glad I got to see a Phantoms game when I was there in November. Definitely past its prime, but a decent place to see a game.

2029399788_4a96cf10f0.jpg2029412252_2f02630ed4.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived