Yh's one-time super monstro challenge

yh

This NHL season is the thirty-sixth anniversary of the league's first major expansion, adding six teams to the "original six" (I prefer "senior six" since these really aren't the original 6 NHL teams, but I digress).  April 2, 2004 marks the thirty-sixth anniversary of my birth.  Therefore, to mark these occasions, I am issuing a challenge to all of you graphic wizards out there.  This will be the only challenge I will ever issue on this board, so it's going to be a doozy.

My challenge is thus -- suppose it is once again 1967.  Six cities, St. Louis, Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Oakland and Los Angeles, have been granted NHL expansion franchises.  You, the intrepid conceptor/designer, have been charged with coming up with names, logos and dark jerseys (just one jersey, no full uniforms necessary) for each of the six cities.  While you may not use the names Blues, NorthStars, Flyers, Penguins, Seals or Kings, you may use whatever color schemes you wish for the teams.  You must do a concept for all six cities; no partial entries will be accepted.  And keep in mind that it is 1967, not 2004, so make sure your concepts are in tune with the era.  

Please submit all six concepts on the same entry as opposed to revealing them as you complete them.  It will help in organizing the voting poll.  The contest is open until 11:59 p.m. CST on April 2, 2004.

Yes, this is a rather sizeable task, but I think there are many among you who are more than capable of carrying it out with style!  Good luck to all.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great, plus your giving us plenty of time to do it. These whould be great.

Also, shouldn't the names Sharks and Wild be excluded too, since those areas got new tames with those names.

Nope. Remember, it's 1967. Anything that wasn't in use in the NHL at that time is fair game. If someone wants to do a concept for the Oakland Canucks, the Pittsburgh Capitals or even the Philadelphia Mighty Ducks they'll be the subject of much chiding and outright ridicule, but not disqualified.  The only names off the table are Canadiens, Bruins, Rangers, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Blues, Northstars (Stars is okay), Flyers, Penguins, Seals and Kings.

I'm not too great at this stuff, but I might as well.  Assuming that my school wok doesn't get too much in the way, I just might try my hand at this.  Count me in.  April 2 is the fifteenth anniversary of my birth, so finishing this can be my birthday present to myself.  :)

-Abbey

Abbey.jpg

i can't wait to do this contest. it's gonna be very very fun :)

but i know for a fact, if avenger gets wind of this contest, he's going to dominate it... i've already seen some of his ideas, and i know that he can do that era's style VERY VERY painfully well.

he'd run away with it.

"Holy graphic "writer's cramp" Batman - where will we find all the ideas necessary to complete such a task?"

"Have no fear Boywonder, for we shall climb into the batcave an not emerge until our task is done."

Great idea! I like it! And away we go . . . . (vroooom, and the scretching tires of the batmobile lead off in a cloud of dust) :cool:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

i can't wait to do this contest. it's gonna be very very fun :)

but i know for a fact, if avenger gets wind of this contest, he's going to dominate it... i've already seen some of his ideas, and i know that he can do that era's style VERY VERY painfully well.

he'd run away with it.

We'll see about that...

does the oakland team have to be "Oakland", or can we name it another city as long as its bay area?

my guess would be that it has to be a name that is fitting for oakland... meaning oakland, california, or golden state...

san jose, or san fran, or anything like that wouldn't really work, considering that the real seals played in a specific arena in oakland....... and this is supposed to be "create the oakland team that was in the NHL in 1967" instead of "take the next six teams, and put them in the general vacinity of teams that might have existed at that point"

but i may be wrong.

Archived