NFL Network Wish List

wdm1219inpenna

As a subscriber to the NFL Network, I enjoy the programming they have at times, however "NFL Total Access" being shown 10, 15, 20 times a day smacks of ESPN with "Sportscenter" 20 times a day to me.

While I like that they re-broadcast old Super Bowl games, I wish they'd re-broadcast ALL of them. I know Super Bowls I & II were erased or taped over, and that there's not really any video that we know of that exists of the games themselves, except for what NFL Films had.

I also wish they'd re-broadcast memorable playoff games from the past 30 plus seasons. I'd love to be able to watch the "Hail Mary" game or "The Drive" or "The Catch", or the Miracle at Music City game again. I'd love it too if they would even have old regular season games.

I get tired of "Total Access" all the time being on. Variety is the spice of life. I would love to see old NFL highlight shows too, like the one that was hosted by Tom Brookshier & Pat Summerall. I'd love to see Madden's first game as a broadcaster too. I don't know if the networks still have these entire game on film or if they've been erased.

I get tired of watching the Pro Bowl skills show, and stuff about the dopey cheerleaders. They never wanted anything to do with me when I was in high school, why the heck do I want anything to do with them now?

Just curious to see if anyone else out here feels similarly to me on this matter. I'm 41, and grew up on the 70s teams, and got to see so many great shows. Heck, I'd even settle for an old NFL Today broadcast showing the likes of Brent Musberger, Irv Cross & Jimmy The Greek, although I doubt tapes of those exist, and I doubt the network would want to re-air those, especially in light of what Jimmy The Greek said to get fired all those years ago.

I have never understood why NFL Network doesn't dig up the classic Monday Night Football games from the 70's and 80's with Cosell, Meredith, and Gifford. I am with you on the rest as well. Especially the old Brookshier and Summerall show.

More NFL Films stuff too.

BB52Big.jpg

I have never understood why NFL Network doesn't dig up the classic Monday Night Football games from the 70's and 80's with Cosell, Meredith, and Gifford. I am with you on the rest as well. Especially the old Brookshier and Summerall show.

More NFL Films stuff too.

They don't own the re-broadcast rights to MNF games, or to at least some of their older stuff. They undoubtedly have the footage, but are unable to rebroadcast it; my guess is that they're working on it though.

nav-logo.png

I'm enjoying the heck out of the Super Bowl rebroadcasts, DVR'ing them (and subsequently duping them onto DVD), but I wouldn't mind NFLN programming more postseason rebroadcasts (I for one would love to see the Steelers-Oilers AFC championship games from the 1970's again).

I know they are selling them on DVD now.

Some of my tax rebate money may be going to this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I want to see even more classic Super Bowls

Super Bowl VII, VIII

I recorded Super Bowl III last year

I want them to show Super Bowl I, the Ice Bowl.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That DVD case should be yellow and navy, not gold and navy. It also has all of the wrong logos. How silly. Would they take the 1989 Giants and slap of their new logos on the box? How about the 49ers?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm enjoying the heck out of the Super Bowl rebroadcasts, DVR'ing them (and subsequently duping them onto DVD), but I wouldn't mind NFLN programming more postseason rebroadcasts (I for one would love to see the Steelers-Oilers AFC championship games from the 1970's again).

I'm too cheap to BUY them. :)

nav-logo.png

I'm surprised it's taken this long for several teams.

The Patriots started doing it with all of their Super Bowl runs, releasing the discs by the start of the next season.

That DVD case should be yellow and navy, not gold and navy. It also has all of the wrong logos. How silly. Would they take the 1989 Giants and slap of their new logos on the box? How about the 49ers?

I consider that to be a minor gripe, (certainly not a deal breaker) since I have been waiting for this or something like it for a couple of years. Anyway, I think the new identity package was originally scheduled for 1999, and they just missed the deadline, so in a way it's decked out in the colors they were intended to win in.

Mac...I would be too, but I don't have NFL Network, and my parents vetoed my taping of the Super Bowl when it was played.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Same here. It was wild watching that old broadcast. Talk about simple compared to today.

I'd like to see regular season games from that era. Another thing they should look into is old AFL broadcasts. There is a wealth of material out there. I'd like to see NFL Network dig into all of it.

BB52Big.jpg

Same here. It was wild watching that old broadcast. Talk about simple compared to today.

I'd like to see regular season games from that era. Another thing they should look into is old AFL broadcasts. There is a wealth of material out there. I'd like to see NFL Network dig into all of it.

Again, they don't own the rights. Back in the early days of broadcasting pro football on television, the networks generally retained the copyrights to the programs rather than the leagues. In the AFL's case, the league never retained copyrights or rebroadcast rights to their games. Consequently they aren't owned by the NFL, and the NFL would have to pay ABC or NBC (depending on the year) for re-broadcast rights, as the AFL didn't hold rights to their broadcasts (the networks did). Then again that's presuming full tapes of AFL games still exist - which I suspect is true in only about 5-10% of the league's contests.

nav-logo.png

Again, they don't own the rights. Back in the early days of broadcasting pro football on television, the networks generally retained the copyrights to the programs rather than the leagues. In the AFL's case, the league never retained copyrights or rebroadcast rights to their games. Consequently they aren't owned by the NFL, and the NFL would have to pay ABC or NBC (depending on the year) for re-broadcast rights, as the AFL didn't hold rights to their broadcasts (the networks did). Then again that's presuming full tapes of AFL games still exist - which I suspect is true in only about 5-10% of the league's contests.

Um Mac, I work in TV so I get all that. :D I was going on the premise that NFL Network could work out a deal to air the old games if in fact they even exist anymore. They did it with NBC's broadcast of SB III so I imagine it's possible with the others. It's a wish list that's all.

BB52Big.jpg

Um Mac, I work in TV so I get all that. :D I was going on the premise that NFL Network could work out a deal to air the old games if in fact they even exist anymore. They did it with NBC's broadcast of SB III so I imagine it's possible with the others. It's a wish list that's all.

On that note, any chance they can acquire the rights to air USFL games?

Today, we are all otaku.

On that note, any chance they can acquire the rights to air USFL games?

Wasn't aware of your occupation, 'red... but others I believe had asked about it in the thread. The rights to every USFL game ever aired are held by some entity of ABC. They make a small fortune allowing USFL footage to be used for commercials (for the most recent example, check out the Wendy's ad with Rich Eisen, airing currently). But inexplicably, they have never dained to do anything with the unedited game footage aside from chopping it up to air periodically in ESPN Classic "Drive-Thru" shows, which is something of an abomination in my book.

nav-logo.png

Archived