Super Bowl XLII Historical

wdm1219inpenna

Speaking of which, I hope this calms down all of that 'Tom Brady is the best quarterback of all time' talk I've been hearing. Brady, while good, isn't half the quarterback Manning is. Or Marino, Unitas or Montana, for that matter. I honestly think that Charlie Frye could be a Pro-Bowl-caliber player in that system. Seriously.

Right. He's three times as good. And he has Manning's TD record.

Yeesh. I'm all well and good with hating on the Patriots, but at least be rational about it. Brady led three championship teams and the only 16-0 team in NFL history. Did Peyton do any of those things?

Indeed, it took Peyton nine years to win his first Super Bowl. It took Eli all of four, and with a Giants' offense not nearly as loaded as the Colts'.

As for Brady, his team's place as the Team of the Decade was already secure long before this season, let alone before going into the Super Bowl undefeated. I happen to think their run is just about over, and it may yet be tainted by Spygate Redux, but three Lombardi Trophies in four seasons, and coming within 39 seconds of a fourth in seven, isn't anything to sneeze at.

CCSLC signature.png

I'm not saying that he hasn't accomplished anything. I'm just saying that he's just another spoke in the wheel, so to speak. Bruschi's been around for all of their Super Bowls, too, but no one considers him one of the all-time greats.(That distinction from the Pat's linebacking corps belongs to Mr. Seau.)

I'm not taking anything away from the Patriots. They're obviously a fantastic team. I'm just tired of all these bandwagonners heaping all of this undeserved praise upon Brady. He's got the best receiving corps in the league! Of course he had a great year! Brady shouldn't have been the MVP: That distinction should have went to Moss. We know he's not a product of any system other than hard work, determination and talent.

If Brady ever does anything without Belichick, I'll shut up. Then, he'll deserve it. Until then, though, he's an overrated cover boy who's salvaged a career out of his unending supply of good fortune.

Sigs are for sissies.

Brady is better than Peyton. But Peyton keeps getting better.

When all is said and done, I think the two will have comparable careers, except for the Super Bowls. But barring an early retirement, there's still plenty of time left for Peyton. I don't see the Colts being a bad team any time soon.

and to mantle...

Illegal participation is a rule. It's not a judgment thing. If the player has not left the field, it's illegal participation. Belichick was crafty enough (or had help...not sure if he was looking directly at it) to spot the infraction, and he was well within the rules to challenge it. Replays even showed him discussing the letter of the rule with the linesman.

It's not Pop Warner of high School where as a linesman I can give a player the benefit of the doubt that he's leaving the field if he's a step away from the sideline at the snap. I can figure out the player's intent. Pros should know better, and that's a mistake by the player or the coaching staff for not making the substitution on time.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Don't get me wrong- I think Brady's an upper-eschelon quarterback. I just don't think he's the thing that makes that team 'go', so to speak. Belichick makes that team go.

Don't forget that Eli and Brady had the good fortune of being drafted by decent teams with solid nuclei(read: DEFENSES). Peyton was drafted by a 3-13 Colts team that had to be built around he and Marshall Faulk, who was only there for Manning's first two years.

Sigs are for sissies.

I don't particularly fault Bellichick for throwing the red flag, as much as I dislike him he was merely trying to get a first down and in doing so did the same thing any of us would have done. My beef lies with the rulebook. If the 12th man is a challengable call then what is to say a team can't challenge pass interference, holding, etc. If penalties cannot be challenged that needs to stay the same across the board.

That having been said, I am glad that the Patriots lost. I get a vibe of arrogance from the lot of the team and IMO Bellichick should have stayed on until the clock ran out. And I couldn't stand Tom Brady as it was but finding out today that he brought a personal hair stylist to Glendale just sealed the deal. That guy is queer as a three dollar bill. Either be a model or a football player Tom, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

As far as his place as a quarterback, I'm pretty sure he will be a HOFer, and yes he is a product of the Patriots system but wouldn't that make him successful in playing with the hand he's dealt. Manning is just as much a product of Dungy's system, as is any good quarterback. Perhaps Brady wouldn't be as successful in another system but I don't see that being a problem in the foreseeable future. Sometimes I think we all over analyze, I hate him as as football player but it is what it is, he has three rings, and 4 super bowl berths in 7 years.

Kudos to Eli Manning, however I still think he lacks the awareness of Peyton. There were a couple of throws on that last drive that he was lucky to get away with. He should be thanking Asanti Samuel for missing that gift of an interception. But when all is said and done, Eli is the one with the ring. I know the MVP has to go to one player but the game ball most definitely belonged to the Giants defense, especially the defensive line.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

That having been said, I am glad that the Patriots lost. I get a vibe of arrogance from the lot of the team and IMO Bellichick should have stayed on until the clock ran out. And I couldn't stand Tom Brady as it was but finding out today that he brought a personal hair stylist to Glendale just sealed the deal. That guy is queer as a three dollar bill. Either be a model or a football player Tom, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

You win. That's the stupidest thing I'll see all week, and it's only Monday.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Could this be... The first "Stupidest post of the day" not won by me?

I agree with much of the other parts of your post, STL, but that's not appropriate at all.

I agree with much of the other parts of your post, STL, but that's not appropriate at all.

It's only 11:27 on the East Coast...you've still got 33 minutes to reclaim your rightful honor.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's only 11:27 on the East Coast...you've still got 33 minutes to reclaim your rightful honor.

11:29. 31 more minutes. I must refrain... :P

Scratch that. 11:30.

11:29. 31 more minutes. I must refrain... :P

Scratch that. 11:30.

Baka. ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I do love me some Peyton.

Speaking of which, I hope this calms down all of that 'Tom Brady is the best quarterback of all time' talk I've been hearing. Brady, while good, isn't half the quarterback Manning is. Or Marino, Unitas or Montana, for that matter. I honestly think that Charlie Frye could be a Pro-Bowl-caliber player in that system. Seriously.

Brady's nothing more than the product of Belichick's system, not to mention the benificiary of a fantastic receiving corps. Remember, kiddies: Daunte Culpepper almost won the MVP and was a perennial Pro-Bowler while throwing to Moss.

Manning and Brady are both great quarterbacks. Is it so hard to acknowledge both of them? Anyone who's seen Brady play more than a couple games know Brady is a great quarterback. His awareness in the pocket and the ability he's shown to scan the field so quickly and recognize openings is amazing.

The Patriots beat the Colts twice in the playoffs on their way to World Championships before last year. The Colts couldn't even handle the Chargers when they were without LT or Rivers and Gates at less than half strength. The Patriots beat the Chargers twice.

There are a lot of reasons to hate the Patriots. Knocking Brady's talent only makes you look like (looks at your avatar)...nevermind.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

So I post an entire post of legitimate points and the only thing that anybody points out is the one childish jab I make at my least favorite pro football player. I'm sorry if anyone was offended by that but I'm standing by it. That pretty boy needs to get his priorities straight.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Brady's nothing more than the product of Belichick's system, not to mention the benificiary of a fantastic receiving corps. Remember, kiddies: Daunte Culpepper almost won the MVP and was a perennial Pro-Bowler while throwing to Moss.

Manning and Brady are both great quarterbacks. Is it so hard to acknowledge both of them? Anyone who's seen Brady play more than a couple games know Brady is a great quarterback. His awareness in the pocket and the ability he's shown to scan the field so quickly and recognize openings is amazing.

The Patriots beat the Colts twice in the playoffs on their way to World Championships before last year. The Colts couldn't even handle the Chargers when they were without LT or Rivers and Gates at less than half strength. The Patriots beat the Chargers twice.

There are a lot of reasons to hate the Patriots. Knocking Brady's talent only makes you look like (looks at your avatar)...nevermind.

*shudders* That's just cold, man. Had to bring that up, didn'tcha?

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed- Peyton Manning plays offense. He's got nothing to do with the Colt's crummy D.

You're high if you think Manning is just a product of Dungy's scheme. He's been prolific everywhere he's played. High school, Tennessee and with the Colts- Before Dungy even got there, he'd garnered a few Pro Bowl nods.

Brady didn't even start at Michigan. What's he done without Belichick guiding his every move?(Besides landing an impressive string of beauties- That, I'll give him credit for.)

Sigs are for sissies.

Brady didn't even start at Michigan. What's he done without Belichick guiding his every move? (Besides landing an impressive string of beauties- That, I'll give him credit for.)

But, c'mon... in the final analysis, isn't this all that matters anyway? ^_^

And, with that, Sir, we've came to an agreement. ^_^

Sigs are for sissies.

*shudders* That's just cold, man. Had to bring that up, didn'tcha?

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed- Peyton Manning plays offense. He's got nothing to do with the Colt's crummy D.

You're high if you think Manning is just a product of Dungy's scheme. He's been prolific everywhere he's played. High school, Tennessee and with the Colts- Before Dungy even got there, he'd garnered a few Pro Bowl nods.

Brady didn't even start at Michigan. What's he done without Belichick guiding his every move?(Besides landing an impressive string of beauties- That, I'll give him credit for.)

Brady didn't start at Michigan because Lloyd Carr was a dumbass and thought local boy Drew Henson was the next John Elway and Michigan's offense was still stuck in the 50's.

Even though I was rooting against the Patriots, I really had no problem with challenging the 12 man on the field. I mean, didn't Gibbs make the same challenge in the Week 16 game against the Vikings? Also, didn't Peyton Manning quick snap against the Chargers to draw the penalty as the Chargers were switching personnel (it might have been for offsides, but it's the same concept). Why aren't we getting on Gibbs and Peyton for the same thing?

Archived