Shaquille O'Neal to the Phoenix Suns?

nyk

Sources: Suns a 'yes' away from acquiring Shaq for Marion

by ESPN.com

The seemingly improbable pairing of an aging Shaquille O'Neal and the run-and-gun Phoenix Suns is a "yes" from the Suns away from happening, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Miami Heat are poised to send O'Neal to the Suns in exchange for All-Star forward Shawn Marion and out-of-favor guard Marcus Banks. Miami is just waiting for Phoenix management to either accept or reject what would rank as one of the most unexpected trades in league history.

"It looks like it's going to happen," said one source close to the situation. "We should know for sure by tomorrow."

Another sign that the deal is imminent: ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported Tuesday night on SportsCenter that O'Neal is scheduled to travel to Phoenix on Wednesday, presumably to take a physical.

The Miami Herald first reported on its Web site Tuesday night that the Heat have informed O'Neal that they are shopping him and that talks with the Suns were serious.

That apparently surprised O'Neal, but also pleased him. Sources say that the 35-year-old -- in the midst of his least productive season and with the Heat cratering from a championship in 2006 to a 9-37 record less than two years later -- is eager to leave Miami and his deteriorating relationship with Heat coach Pat Riley. The Associated Press, furthermore, quoted an O'Neal associate Tuesday night as saying, "Shaq thinks something will happen."

As for Marion, Bucher reports that the 29-year-old is in favor of the proposed deal and quotes a source close to Marion as saying there's a "good" chance that the trade would happen.

Making a move for O'Neal appears on the surface to make little basketball or financial sense for the Suns. His arrival in Phoenix would undoubtedly prompt widespread skepticism about his ability to keep up in the Suns' high-octane system. The two years and $40 million remaining on O'Neal's contract after this season also clashes with the Suns' recent pattern of trading away players (such as Kurt Thomas) and draft picks in an attempt to reduce payroll and eventually drag themselves away from the NBA luxury-tax line of $67.875 million.

The Suns, though, have been plagued by well-chronicled concerns about their chemistry for well over a year, generally focusing on the occasional dissatisfaction voiced behind the scenes by either Marion or Amare Stoudemire. In the locker room as well as the front office, sources say, there are factions that have believed for some time that one of them would eventually have to be traded.

Going through with the deal, then, would suggest that the Suns believe that they can immediately improve their chemistry with this change. The Suns would also be banking on the idea that the trade would give them the injection of size they've lacked since Steve Nash was reacquired as a free agent to play for coach Mike D'Antoni. Phoenix would also hope to rejuvenate O'Neal after a season in which his effectiveness and durability have been doubted louder than ever.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said on his weekly radio show on Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix on Tuesday night that the story caught him by surprise.

"The trade deadline's coming up so I'm sure there's talk all over the place," he said. "In our day and age now, you make one of those phone calls or answer a phone call everybody in the world knows about it. Other than normal business, I don't know anything that's going on."

Asked if any deal was close, D'Antoni said "No, no, no."

O'Neal has missed Miami's last six games with a sore left hip and did not speak to reporters after Tuesday's practice. Riley said earlier Tuesday that O'Neal will undergo an MRI.

''We just want to back it up and see, after two weeks, what it shows,'' Riley said.

O'Neal helped Miami overturn a 2-0 deficit against Dallas in the 2006 NBA Finals but is averaging a career-low 14.2 points and 7.8 rebounds in 32 games this season.

Bucher reported on ESPN2's "NBA Coast to Coast" last week that the Heat were indeed shopping O'Neal, but Riley issued a strong denial in response.

"I'm done talking about rumors and reports," Riley said. "But, no, there's no truth to that."

Said O'Neal last Friday: "[Riley] hasn't spoken to me. He hasn't talked about it. I've been in the league 15 years. I've seen it all, been through it all. I've just got to sit back."

Marion asked to be traded before the season began but has generally avoided talk of the subject since then. He is set to make $17 million next season, the final year of his contract, but can opt out of the deal after this season and become a free agent.

Suns owner Robert Sarver insisted two weeks ago that none of the Suns' core players would be traded this season.

I just saw this on the local news here and I am still shaking my head in disgust. If this goes through (which it seems to be close to certain) it KILLS the team in my opinion. The Suns are killing their whole offensive style with a trade like this, ans while I understand the need to get rid of Marion, I honestly couldn't think of a worse person I would want for him.

PopHeading-1.gif

Marion?! Really?

I didn't think Shaq was worth that much.

Oh well....the arms race out West continues.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good Lord in Heaven, why in the :censored: would you do this? You traded away Kurt Thomas because you didn't want to pay luxury taxes, but yet you'll swallow the 2nd worst 2-year contract in the entire league? Yikes.

Shaq will slow this offense down to a grinding halt as he pounds and pounds the basketball when he gets it, and barely lumbers his horribly conditioned self up and down the court the rest of the time.

Seriously, don't do this. If it was 3 years ago, I'd be all over it, but now it's just a BIG mistake. You're not getting the old Shaq, you're just getting an old Shaq. The Big Disqualification is not what this team needs.

EDIT: Just saw on NBA Fastbreak where "a source" (I hate that :censored:) told Rick Bucher that it's going to happen. I hope this is another Herbstreit being told Les Miles was a done deal at Michigan.

Oh, Nancy Kerrigan wanted me to to ask, "Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If this happens...then I want the NBA to give the Hawks their win from earlier on and do away with that ridiculous replay, since Shaq is the only reason why the game's even being replayed.

That being said, STUPID trade for the Suns. Putting Shaq on their team basically ruins their style of offense. Steve Kerr is on drugs for making this trade.

Worst trade ever if this goes through. It will kill our offensive style! If it happens I say anyone with a Marion jersey tosses it on court during the next home game. Thanks for ruining or team Kerr.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

This trade makes no sense for the Suns, Shaq is old and broken down and one of the big reasons the Heat are so bad.

Really? It isn't LACK OF TALENT? He hasn't really played enough to effect them one way or another. Blame their futility on all the scrubs surrounding Wade.

Exactly. Shaq hasn't really been healthy to affect them either way. It's the fact that they are ridiculously old, and the youth that they do have are scrubs.

Even still, this trade helps the Heat more than the Suns. The Suns just gave their chances in the West away with that trade.

Oh man Wade and Marion would at least make the Heat fun to watch during the last half of the season even if they have no prayer at making the playoffs. Plus it frees up money for the Heat to make some movesin the offseason and really get something worthwhile on the court. I hope this happens!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't really follow basketball, but didn't the Suns decide not to trade Marion for Garnett? Wouldn't a team way rather have Garnett than Shaq?

The Wolves wanted Amare. The Suns offered Marion.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This might now be so bad for Phoenix. If they play Shaq in a limited, more situational role (such as the last few minutes in a game), he could have a better impact in the game. Playing Shaq more on defense and on set plays on offense could be a boost.

They're not gonna limit Shaq. Amare's going to have to move into the Power Forward role, leaving center open to.....Sean Marks or Brian Skinner. Both of these guys are small for an NBA center, at 6'10" and 6'9" respectively. Granted Amare's only 6'10", but he's got the athleticism to make up for his lack of size. Diaw can step up to the every day starting forward role, unless Hill or Alando Tucker step up. All in all, stupid, stupid, stupid move for the Suns. Heck, let's bring Charles and Thunder out of retirement.

Not smart by Steve Kerr at all, I understand you wanted to get something for Shawn Marion be4 his contract was up, but not this. I would have called the Nets about Richard Jefferson or someone who fits that style. He reacted too quickly to the Lakers/Gasol deal. Suns were my choice before this deal to go to the final, now with Shaq goin to PHX. The Lakers are now my choice to come out the West.

Archived