Edge jerseys

oddball

After about half a season of watching teams wear them, I'm not going to talk about the design/look that we all see, but the actual construction of them. Am I the only one who thinks even the real ones that the players wear look cheap? They look so thin and then look slapped together from pieces of fabric. I understand about having new technology and it being lighter, but why does the cut and seams of the jersey have to make it look so crappy? Couldn't they have just taken the old standard cut of years past and use the lighter material on that? When the authentics that the players wear look like cheap knock-offs, you have a crappy product.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand about having new technology and it being lighter, but why does the cut and seams of the jersey have to make it look so crappy? Couldn't they have just taken the old standard cut of years past and use the lighter material on that?

That's been my biggest gripe about the newer uniforms in any sport the last 5? or so years,I embrace the new technology but again i wish the wouldn't sacrifice design aspect of the uniforms and stuff.

I remember when someone started a thread about how hockey players hated Edge jerseys, because of "sweat" and certainly other reasons. The topic lasted a week and not a single mention about what the hell was going on since the last 2 months.

Now to answer your question: Yes, everyone here without a single exception hates the curvy cut.

I don't mind them, apart from the damn tail. I like the fitted look - they actually look like what hockey players used to look like. As a fan, they fit very well! I own both a pro and replica, and the replica is pretty crappy, but I have no complaints with its fit.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The replicas are cheap garbage and the authentics are a rip-off. Plus they are cut so stupid, I tried on a 48, 50, 52, AND 54 and basically the only difference was sleeve length and how far they hung down. None of them came close to being as comfy as a 52 old authentic.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I always look for "garbage" jerseys and I saw a kid have one on in class and at the Pens game...both authentics...both expensive...both garbage. The numbers look horrid and the black between the gold and white looked brown. Shame on RBK.

KISSwall09.jpg

I was at a Rangers-Ottawa game at MSG back in December. Martin Gerber was in goal for the Sens that night wearing white.

You could see some neon-looking pattern on his chest protector right through the uniform. It was garish looking.

That was the night that put me over the edge--pun intended--in my hatred for them.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

i'm just happy my team got out fairly well with the new look... our cut is fairly standard, with no curves in the stitching, and our uniforms are much simpler and cleaner than what we wore for the past decade.

only think that would make them better would be a green version of the white at home, with the black as the alternate.

I own two replica jerseys- Ducks black, blank, and East all stars, Hossa 18. I have no complaints as an owner of these jerseys except for the tail thing. It can be annoying. But the thin fabric is really comfortable and the stripes seem to look good.

I guess another complaint would be that the numerals are glued together - they tried to make it look like it was sewn together, but from close up it is obvious that it is glued. I know the players hate them, but I think it works well as a fan jersey.

i'm just happy my team got out fairly well with the new look... our cut is fairly standard, with no curves in the stitching, and our uniforms are much simpler and cleaner than what we wore for the past decade.

only think that would make them better would be a green version of the white at home, with the black as the alternate.

You're talking about the Stars, right? Take a good, close look at the sleeve striping. Curved to fit the template, and trashy because of it.

I've gotta agree with others on the composition of these jerseys. The material is flimsy, and I don't care how space-age and water-repellent it is, I'm not putting it on to play hockey in it. All of the seams on the jersey appear unusually prominent, too, especially around items that don't follow the curves of the template, like the Hawks' straight striping.

/Bauer doubleknits FTW

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The reason players have stopped complaining about the new jerseys is because RBK/CCM went away from the "Edge" technology fabric and went back to the previous material that was used through the 2006-07 season. You can only notice the difference if you are up close to the jersey. The cut of the jersey didn't change. Every team received a shipment of the new jerseys back in mid-November and clubs have phased these into their 2nd or 3rd sets.

As a result, this is why there is no more :cry: .

I guess another complaint would be that the numerals are glued together - they tried to make it look like it was sewn together, but from close up it is obvious that it is glued. I know the players hate them, but I think it works well as a fan jersey.

Yeah it works real well if you like paying more money for less quality

$115 MSRP for a replica with cheaper fabric and screen-print shoulder logos? Bullcrap, I never paid more than $75 for an old replica with everything sewn.

$150 MSRP (at least) for a replica with screen printed name and number? Even NHL.com could have gotten you a 100% sewn jersey like this in the old style.

And the authentics, jesus, what did the old ones numbered top out at, $280 customized from NHL.com? Now they're $330? Get bent.

I have several dozen hockey jerseys but hell if I'm buying any more. As far as I'm concerned, MLB authentics are where it's at now. ~$200 or less for just about all numbered authentics except for really complex ones like the Mets or Marlins.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I ponied up for a Hawks Edge authentic home, and I love it. It fits like a dream, nice and slim (good for me being a skinny white guy) and the new fabric is super comfy. Maybe not the best jersey for on-the-ice action, as Wisniewski among others have proven this season, but works good for me as a fan. I'll still be glad though if they go back to the old cut next year.

It sucks to see so many fans buying these.

The thing is, if the real hockey fans, IE not the guy who goes to 2 games a year and buys a jersey to fit in and can't name a player, but the actual fans of the NHL didn't buy them, it would be more of a failure.

I have yet to purchase one and don't plan on it.

I have bought more old style jerseys off Ebay this year instead of the new EDGE crap, and I encourage my friends to not buy them either. I'm thinking of it as each sale they don't get hurts, however minimalistic it may be, at least I won't be a hypocrite about them.

They are a joke and a scam to get more money. The players don't think anything of the technology, and think the fit sucks, and the look is ever worse. Not to mention many fans worldwide hate them.

But Bettman cares more about the dollars than about fans and players, and it's a damn shame.

anti.png

It sucks to see so many fans buying these.

Amen. I was stunned at the Wolves game last week to see far too many people wearing the new Edge jerseys, which get sold at the arena for $125/replica, $250/authentic. But the sad fact is, a lot of people don't notice or care about things like the cheaper material, or screened-on shoulder patches (which make me cringe every time I see them.) They just think "Oooo! A jersey!" and plunk down far too much of their disposable income for it.

Of course, these people are far more likely to throw their jerseys in the dryer, so once that cheap material starts snagging and those screened patches start cracking and fading (something I've seen on a lot of Swingman jerseys,) they'll realize what they got for their money.

And as much as I love the new Bruins and Sharks designs, I simply will not buy either one so long as the current construction and price structure is being implemented. I've been buying hockey jerseys for far too long, and I know what I should expect for my money. These new jerseys fall far below those expectations.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hell, I go to Penn State, where we have a CLUB hockey team...not NCAA--and at a game vs. Rhode Island last week I was absolutely STUNNED at how many Malkins and Crosby's I saw out of the at MOST 1,500 people there...

Stunned.

I can't imagine what its like at the Igloo.

At least at the 2 Rangers games I was at this season so far, I noticed very few edge unis...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I can't imagine what its like at the Igloo.

When a fan has the black one, it looks like it was left in the sun for about a week. Never saw a white one (don't think they are available). I know I won't buy one. The thing with Pitts fans, they are mostly out of date so you still see a ton of triangle Penguin jerseys in the crowd to wash out the Edge crap. The other thing is, the latest boner is for the blue winter classic gear. :cursing: (NOTE: not turning this into a Penguin color debate)

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived