Austin to get Stars AAA affiliate

rainmaker17

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have heard several things

Springfield might move or fold if they dont get more Season ticket holders.

It is believed that Springfield is one of a select group of markets the AHL would not allow to go black (along with Rochester and Hershey) due to the location of the league offices in that market.

The AHL has already said, "if there is no new team in Springfield, they will move the main office to either Hershey, Rochester, Philly, or Hartford."

I'm going to assume Hershey/Harrisburg's the likely new home offices. Philly most likely is not long for the world, Rochester is still not happy with SMG IIRC, and I'm not sure if Hartford will always be around.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

...also, Winnipeg is too far east, I think, to really be considered a viable market for the WHL. Travel costs would be substantial, particularly with the cost of fuel what it is at the moment ($1.19/litre here in Burnaby as of Friday morning).

The Wheat Kings say "Hello!"

...also, Winnipeg is too far east, I think, to really be considered a viable market for the WHL. Travel costs would be substantial, particularly with the cost of fuel what it is at the moment ($1.19/litre here in Burnaby as of Friday morning).

The Wheat Kings are 133 miles to the West from Winnipeg.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And? If you're already that far east, why would it be so difficult to go to Winnipeg? That's like saying Portland shouldn't be in the league because it's 160 miles south of the next northern team.

Don't forget, too, that the Wheat Kings play in Winnipeg every once in a while, especially when the Keystone Centre is booked during the playoffs.

And? If you're already that far east, why would it be so difficult to go to Winnipeg? That's like saying Portland shouldn't be in the league because it's 160 miles south of the next northern team.

Don't forget, too, that the Wheat Kings play in Winnipeg every once in a while, especially when the Keystone Centre is booked during the playoffs.

Well...considering the point about fuel being expensive, having to schlep 133 miles beyond the 227 mile outlier strikes me as a rather unattractive proposition financially. At least Portland is fairly close to its entire division.

Today, we are all otaku.

Slightly back on topic:

I'm really starting to wonder what the team's Austin identity will be. The Austin Stars? The Ice Bats?

I ask because when the Texas League Round Rock Express went from AA to AAA, they got an entirely new team to match the caliber of the PCL, but retained the team name, logos, uniforms etc.

I have sentimental place in my heart for the Bats. I was there for the first game of the franchise, and I've attended several games in each of the eleven seasons they've been here. Support has ebbed and flowed, as has the teams fortunes. There is a hardcore, albeit relatively small, group of Bat Fanatics (or whatever the hell they call themselves now), and even their numbers are dwindling. I hope the 'upgrade' to the AHL and the new facility will bring back the vibe the old rodeo barn enjoyed the first four seasons or so.

Having said all of that I think it's time to retire the Ice Bats scheme. Tho logo is dated. The bat thing is overplayed and has become borderline silly. Having a new look that directly rips off NHL teams every other year just pisses off and confuses the casual fan.

For now I'm anti Austin Stars. Why have a scheme that copies the parent club, when the parent club is 200 miles (or 3 hours, as many Southerners refer to travel distance) away?

newsig.jpg

I'm really starting to wonder what the team's Austin identity will be. The Austin Stars? The Ice Bats?

I don't see it being the Ice Bats. After all, when rumors of the Dallas Stars bringing their AHL affiliate to Greater Austin first surfaced, Ice Bats ownership claimed that they had no plans to pull-up stakes. They were going to continue to pursue business as usual, meaning they were going to attempt to compete with the AHL team in the marketplace. I don't see the Ice Bats winning that battle, but such posturing doesn't bode well for an Ice Bats-branded team in the AHL.

Slightly back on topic:

I ask because when the Texas League Round Rock Express went from AA to AAA, they got an entirely new team to match the caliber of the PCL, but retained the team name, logos, uniforms etc.

I have sentimental place in my heart for the Bats. I was there for the first game of the franchise, and I've attended several games in each of the eleven seasons they've been here. Support has ebbed and flowed, as has the teams fortunes. There is a hardcore, albeit relatively small, group of Bat Fanatics (or whatever the hell they call themselves now), and even their numbers are dwindling. I hope the 'upgrade' to the AHL and the new facility will bring back the vibe the old rodeo barn enjoyed the first four seasons or so.

Having said all of that I think it's time to retire the Ice Bats scheme. Tho logo is dated. The bat thing is overplayed and has become borderline silly. Having a new look that directly rips off NHL teams every other year just pisses off and confuses the casual fan.

For now I'm anti Austin Stars. Why have a scheme that copies the parent club, when the parent club is 200 miles (or 3 hours, as many Southerners refer to travel distance) away?

We all know how much Wikipedia can be trusted, but they have a page set up for the Texas Stars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Stars

Slightly back on topic:

We all know how much Wikipedia can be trusted, but they have a page set up for the Texas Stars.

Texas Stars? I was expecting they would be called the Central Texas Stars to avoid confusion with their soon-to-be parent club..... sort of.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Slightly back on topic:

Texas Stars? I was expecting they would be called the Central Texas Stars to avoid confusion with their soon-to-be parent club..... sort of.

Like I said, take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, so who knows until it's really official.

Slightly back on topic:

Or Centex Stars. I can live with Texas Stars. Could be better....could be a LOT worse.

newsig.jpg

Slightly back on topic:

Or Centex Stars.

Well, they'd have a built-in sponsor if they did that.

The ECHL Reading Royals might become the new Ontario(Ca) Reign and the AHL Philly Phantoms might move to Reading seeing as how they want to demolish the Spectrum. The Royals are near the top of the attendance for minor league hockey above many AHL teams.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was said Ontario would be an expansion team. I can't find it now, though.

Actually, the Ontario (California -- not Canada) Reign will be the relocated Texas Wildcatters after the 2007-08 ECHL season ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Reign

By the way, I would've named this Ontario Reign team the San Bernardino Reign (since Ontario, Calif. is 24 miles West of San Bernardino and is in San Bernardino County) or the Inland Empire Reign (since the city of Ontario, Calif., is part of the Inland Empire) to avoid confusion with the Canadian province of Ontario, but since there are no ECHL teams in Canada, I don't think that would be a problem.

YOZXkBG.png?1

The ECHL Reading Royals might become the new Ontario(Ca) Reign and the AHL Philly Phantoms might move to Reading seeing as how they want to demolish the Spectrum. The Royals are near the top of the attendance for minor league hockey above many AHL teams.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was said Ontario would be an expansion team. I can't find it now, though.

Actually, the Ontario (California -- not Canada) Reign will be the relocated Texas Wildcatters after the 2007-08 ECHL season ends.

By the way, I would've named this Ontario Reign team the San Bernardino Reign (since Ontario, Calif. is 24 miles West of San Bernardino and is in San Bernardino County) or the Inland Empire Reign (since the city of Ontario, Calif., is part of the Inland Empire) to avoid confusion with the Canadian province of Ontario, but since there are no ECHL teams in Canada, I don't think that would be a problem.

Unless there was a major earthquake recently, I believe Victoria is still a part of Canada.

Unless there was a major earthquake recently, I believe Victoria is still a part of Canada.

It's on an island that you have to pay to get to, making it its own city-state.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yeah...that was officially decided after I made the post. I was operating off what was officially known at the time.

Also, Ontario is fine....people will know what they are talking about.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived