Hawaii Warriors Under Armour Uniforms Unveiled

kylenotryan

If they would just leave the black to an accent color and used more green for the homes they would be okay. The use of the tapa is interesting but I will hold my judgment until I see it in person.

sig.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The green is better, but the old striping on the pants was a great look for Hawai'i. I still think that the black is too dominant. Green should be the primary color with silver and black accents. These look good, but I prefer the old set over the new UA.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I just saw the news and they showed a sample of the tapa print at the shoulders. It's not as prominent as the old sleeve print (i.e. silver print on black jersey, black print on white jersey). It looks subdued (colors are similar) and repeats itself as a pattern. I kind of get the Oregon vibe from it - they have diamond plating, we have the tapa print.

Coach Mack also mentioned an all-green combo for special occasions, but wasn't shown at the unveiling.

Quite nice - I like the Green as the focal color. Very good looking uniforms.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Can someone please post a pic of what the hell a tapa print is? :D

Just imagine the design of the "tattoo" at the thigh and arm and just line them up one after another (at least that's what I could make of it from seeing it on the news).

If anyone is interested, here's the link to a clip on YouTube. They're the compiled news broadcasts of the unveiling of the new Hawaii football uniforms. They also included a look into the past uniforms starting from the VonAppen era through Jones' tenure.

Chazberg, the clip will give you a good look at the print (McMackin is holding the fabric color samples in his hand).

I didn't realize how many people disliked the silver. I know it is not a school color, but is that the only reason it isn't liked. I like the new look, but I didn't think the old look was bad. What do y'all think about the old unis with the silver.

I thought the silver was OK. I remember reading about the uniforms in a game program and it mentioned silver signifying the reflections of the falling rain in Manoa Valley. The description almost aludes back to the origin of our former nickname, the "Rainbows" or "Rainbow Warriors" or "the 'Bows." The only time I didn't care for the silver is when they used it at home games for their pants with the silver helmets and black jerseys. Oakland pulls it off, but something about Hawaii in that combo looked weird (I think it may be the dark jersey numbers not meshing well with the silver pants making them look top heavy or something). I actually didn't mind the silver helmets with the black jersey and black pants. As far as I can remember they only wore that when they played San Jose State against former UH coach Dick Tomey.

I remember when we changed from the "Rainbow Warriors" to just the "Warriors" there was a lot of flak going on about the identity change and the uniforms. The players were teased a lot as the first version of the "Warriors" uniform looked like they were wearing a garter on their thigh (hence the change to a larger tapa print in the later uniforms). It took a while to get used to that change from the "Rainbows," but it eventually won the crowd over. Now we just need to adjust to another change. I figure as long as the players like the uniforms and are happy with them it'll translate to wins and eventually gain the approval of the traditionalists. Besides, Coach McMackin mentioned the idea of throwbacks. For all we know it could be back throwbacks of June Jones' coaching era.

I can't wait to see the actual uniform on a player (won't show until Nike's contract expires in May). I'm praying that the piping isn't as prominent as it is in the drawings. If it all looks good, then I'll look forward to the all green combo to appear for the 2009 season.

• 1 month later...

Hawaii's spring game is this Saturday, but they won't be wearing their new UA uniforms yet (not until after the Nike contract expires in May).

However, it's going to be a Black vs. Green theme and one team will be wearing the green Nike jerseys. Nike had a green alternate for the team, but they never used it during the season. Brennan wore it in the State Farm College Football Challenge. The look will go back to when Reebok initially introduced the different uniform and black was the alternate jersey.

Archived