Nats Unveil New Pretzel-W Logo

BallWonk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretzel schmetzel . . . the real good news is that Ben's Chili Bowl is one of the vendors.

True that. But they've also got Hard Times Cafe back into the park, so fans are going to be forced to choose between a Ben's half-smoke and a Hard Times Frito pie. It's almost cruel to force that choice on us.

20082614447.png

IMG_0213.jpg

(from WaPo's Nats' Journal)

Mmmm... delicious alphabetical pretzel. *drools*

The real trick will be if they can pull off a cheese sauce cup in the shape of the "DC" logo for dippin'.

If they had a round cup with the DC shield logo (as seen here) printed on the bottom, that'd be neat. A little surprise once you get to the bottom of the cheese. ^_^

Pretzel schmetzel . . . the real good news is that Ben's Chili Bowl is one of the vendors.

True that. But they've also got Hard Times Cafe back into the park, so fans are going to be forced to choose between a Ben's half-smoke and a Hard Times Frito pie. It's almost cruel to force that choice on us.

Y'know, I haven't stepped foot in the park yet (obvious as it is, though its worth mentioning) But, after watching all of the online tours and Discovery Channel program on the construction of the facility I really think they hit a homerun with the park. I'm glad to see that they didn't follow the same path as the "Retro style" ball parks. I think what they've created is unique, modern, and distinctive, while still keeping that "ball park feel".

I can't wait to see a game there...although it may be a while before I'm back in that area. So please let me know what you think when you go.

A Half Smoke from Ben Ali and maybe wash it down with a Texas/Terlingua Chili Bubba . . . I'd hate to see the bathrooms by the 7th inning.

Combination of both, if you're lucky.

All ballparks will have a mega-brew, sometimes you also get a smaller local beer as well.

The tragedy is that for one glorious year, RFK featured a brewpub run by Foggy Bottom, the successor microbrewery to the old Heurich beer company whose Senate Beer was said to be responsible for the team's official embrace of the Senators name in the 1950s. Anyway, point is, Foggy Bottom offered a Pilsner on draft at RFK only that was the best Pilsner I've ever had outside of southern Bohemia. An extraordinarily good beer, probably among the best beers ever marketed in North America. Seriously, it was that good.

But that winter, Gary Heurich threw in the towel and closed down Foggy Bottom. (Decent odds that I drank the last bottle of Foggy Bottom Lager in the world in August '06.) So no more Foggy Bottom Pils at the ballpark. However, the more generic brewpub that replaced Heurich at RFK featured a pretty-good-by-ballpark-standards hoppy lager as the house brew. I think it was made under contract by Old Dominion.

Anyway, the beer situation was pretty good at RFK even within the confines of the Aramark contract; now that the Nats have a new park without Aramark, I'm completely confident that we will have one of the best beer ballparks in the majors.

20082614447.png

Combination of both, if you're lucky.

All ballparks will have a mega-brew, sometimes you also get a smaller local beer as well.

The tragedy is that for one glorious year, RFK featured a brewpub run by Foggy Bottom, the successor microbrewery to the old Heurich beer company whose Senate Beer was said to be responsible for the team's official embrace of the Senators name in the 1950s. Anyway, point is, Foggy Bottom offered a Pilsner on draft at RFK only that was the best Pilsner I've ever had outside of southern Bohemia. An extraordinarily good beer, probably among the best beers ever marketed in North America. Seriously, it was that good.

But that winter, Gary Heurich threw in the towel and closed down Foggy Bottom. (Decent odds that I drank the last bottle of Foggy Bottom Lager in the world in August '06.) So no more Foggy Bottom Pils at the ballpark. However, the more generic brewpub that replaced Heurich at RFK featured a pretty-good-by-ballpark-standards hoppy lager as the house brew. I think it was made under contract by Old Dominion.

Anyway, the beer situation was pretty good at RFK even within the confines of the Aramark contract; now that the Nats have a new park without Aramark, I'm completely confident that we will have one of the best beer ballparks in the majors.

That's music to my ears. Local microbrews are far superior than the mega-brews on any given day except maybe Sam Adams.

Yep. Sam Adams contracts out a lot of their production.

Just goes to show that some of those old macro-brews can be pretty darn good. :P

To be fair, Sammy IS brewed by Miller but the recipe is still Samuel Adams' recipe.

Though why you'd be drinking Sammy when you could have a REAL craft beer is beyond me anyway.

Hmm. This topic has drifted a bit, and since most of my baseball games are seen from the broadcast booth, I don't really get to do much at-the-park drinking (we can't all be Harry Caray).

However, and this may warrant a different thread even...but I'm sure pretty much every team has a special nickname for their hot dogs, at least in MLB (and some minors). We all know Fenway Franks and Dodger Dogs, but I'm curious about others.

I'm surprised that at Braves games I believe it's the Georgia Dog (college pride, so it's okay) versus the "Chop Dog" (which I think sounds cooler; I want to say that's the name of choice for the Rome Braves' dogs tho).

So what other team-named ballpark fare do we have? Or is this too much of a thread-jack?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived