2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ken Griffey Jr. finally hit career bomb #600th off of some scrub in Florida.

It was nice to see all 5,000 in attendance give him a standing ovation.

Mark Hendrickson is hardly a scrub. He is 7-2 (will probably be 7-3 by the end of the night) and has been one the more pleasant surprises for Florida. Although, lately he's been a little bit more inconsistent and has been killed by the HR.

Mark Hendrickson is hardly a scrub. He is 7-2 (will probably be 7-3 by the end of the night) and has been one the more pleasant surprises for Florida. Although, lately he's been a little bit more inconsistent and has been killed by the HR.

I would like to know how anyone can be considered a pleasant surprise when they've got an ERA of 5.76.

6uXNWAo.png

I still say, if he had stayed healthy, he's be in a race with Bonds for the title of HR King.

Agreed. I've always thought the same. I can't think of any player, all around, that was better or more popular than Ken Griffey Jr. was in the 90's.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I would like to know how anyone can be considered a pleasant surprise when they've got an ERA of 5.76.

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

I'm surprised. Pleasantly.

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

I hate to be a party pooper, but wins don't mean :censored:.

And he's a Devil Ray reject.

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

He's already close to doubling his win total from last year. He's projected as a 17 game winner.

One of the main reasons his ERA is a ghastly 5+ is because of a disasterous start against Philadelphia where he gave up ten.

He had a great April and has since come down to Earth. I'm not saying he's a Cy Young candidate. I'm just saying for a guy who, as you said, "is a Devil Ray reject", to give you a "projected" 17 wins is good.

In sports, aren't wins the only thing that matter? I'm confused.

But for judging how good a pitcher is, it's a very overrated stat.

Oddly enough, he's lucky in that he's got 7 wins with that ERA of his... but at the same time, his FIP suggests he unlucky his ERA is that high to begin with -- and that tends to be the best stat towards judging a pitcher.

IUe6Hvh.png

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

He's already close to doubling his win total from last year. He's projected as a 17 game winner.

One of the main reasons his ERA is a ghastly 5+ is because of a disasterous start against Philadelphia where he gave up ten.

He had a great April and has since come down to Earth. I'm not saying he's a Cy Young candidate. I'm just saying for a guy who, as you said, "is a Devil Ray reject", to give you a "projected" 17 wins is good.

Hmm, let's see here...

- Plays for the Marlins

- ERA of close to 6

- Devil Rays reject

- Former basketball player

...Yep, he's a scrub alright.

6uXNWAo.png

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

Last time I checked, the point of a game is to win. Yeah the other pitching stats are important, but if you can win that is what is most important.

Does anyone wanna dig up my "No respect" post from before the season when everyone basically laughed at me? Now I know its not over by a long shot, but is anyone paying attention yet? Thanks.

I didn't laugh at you, but I couldn't understand why you were claiming "Philly getting no respect" after only 3 users posted their predictions

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

Hmm, let's see here...

- Plays for the Marlins

- ERA of close to 6

- Devil Rays reject

- Former basketball player

...Yep, he's a scrub alright.

But an FIP closer to 4.00... and ERA's tend to trend towards the FIP. I said it with Dan Haren last year and it happened, and I'll say it with... this guy, whatever his name it. He's not a great pitcher by any stretch of the imagination, but he's better than his ERA suggests.

IUe6Hvh.png

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

Last time I checked, the point of a game is to win. Yeah the other pitching stats are important, but if you can win that is what is most important.

It also comes down to run support. Wins are important, no doubt, but if you're 12-5 with an ERA of 6.15 and get about 7-8 runs from your lineup each game, are you really that good?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Does anyone wanna dig up my "No respect" post from before the season when everyone basically laughed at me? Now I know its not over by a long shot, but is anyone paying attention yet? Thanks.

I didn't laugh at you, but I couldn't understand why you were claiming "Philly getting no respect" after only 3 users posted their predictions

It was more than 3, almost a whole page. Not to nitpick. I just want to know what everyone's obsession with the Mets is.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

It also comes down to run support. Wins are important, no doubt, but if you're 12-5 with an ERA of 6.15 and get about 7-8 runs from your lineup each game, are you really that good?

You can be. At the end of the day I will take a winner over someone who can get the team close to winning.

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

You can be. At the end of the day I will take a winner over someone who can get the team close to winning.

No, you can't be. You're telling me you'd take a guy who's 12-5 with a 6.15 ERA over a guy like Felix Hernandez who's on pace to finish below .500 with 3.07 ERA? That's just crazy. A pitcher has no control over what their offense or bullpen does, so has little control over winning or losing.

IUe6Hvh.png

1. It's an Ex-NBA Player

2. He's got 7 Wins

No, you can't be. You're telling me you'd take a guy who's 12-5 with a 6.15 ERA over a guy like Felix Hernandez who's on pace to finish below .500 with 3.07 ERA? That's just crazy. A pitcher has no control over what their offense or bullpen does, so has little control over winning or losing.

I feel that winning is the most important pitching stat because winning is the purpose of the game. No, a pitcher does not have control over what their offense or bullpen does, but I would still rather have a pitcher who wins with a high ERA than a pitcher with a losing record and a low ERA. Yes, I would love to have someone with a low ERA (and usually if you have a low ERA you will have a good record), but wins are wins.

You can't be better in terms of ERA if you give up a lot of runs, but you can be better in the win column which is what is most important at the end of the day. ERA is important, but I feel that winning is more important.

Archived