2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still terrible. They're gonna have to pull a 1987 Minnesota Twins if they want to have any shot at the title this year.

And congrats to Manny Ramirez for hitting #500. If he doesn't make it to the HOF because of his amazing shenanigans, then he should make it with the stats.

It's still terrible. They're gonna have to pull a 1987 Minnesota Twins if they want to have any shot at the title this year.

And congrats to Manny Ramirez for hitting #500. If he doesn't make it to the HOF because of his amazing shenanigans, then he should make it with the stats.

He's a lock for the Hall. First ballot, even. The all-time list of Right Handed hitters better than Manny is a short, short list. His numbers put him right there with Dimaggio and, oddly enough, his career 162 game averages are damn near identical to A-Rod's, who's considered a lock for the first ballot at this point.

40 HR 132 RBI's .312/.408/.590 for Manny

44 HR 127 RBI's .306/.388/.578 for A-Rod

A-Rod's the better player but I'm not sure how many people realize how similar the numbers are. Incredibly impressive numbers. And there's something to be said for the fact that, in this era, his name's never been mentioned in regards to PEDs.

IUe6Hvh.png

He's a lock for the Hall. First ballot, even.

I wouldn't say anyone is a stone cold lead pipe lock for The Hall these days. Sadly, you have to take into account the steroid era, which Manny played the bulk of his career in. Not to say ManRam won't get in following his brilliant career, in fact I hope he does, but let's not forget Rafael Palmeiroid's fall from grace after getting (what should have been) his automatic ticket to Cooperstown.

6uXNWAo.png

If anyone's noticed, tonight's victory over San Diego now makes 8 wins in a row for the Cubbies. This seriously has to be some sorta record for the franchise! ^_^

Also, David Ortiz was placed on the 15-day DL tonight with a jacked up wrist and is facing possible season ending surgury. With Big Papi and Dice-K out for awhile, it now looks like Boston will only win the AL East by 8 games instead of 18.

6uXNWAo.png

It's just Manny being Manny.

He's a bad man.

In 2003 Manny had a member of the Jays grounds crew bring me a baseball to give to a female fan wearing a Red Sox bikini sitting in my section, before i gave it to the fan i looked at the ball and it had his hotel and cell information on it... Manny being Manny.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It's just Manny being Manny.

He's a bad man.

In 2003 Manny had a member of the Jays grounds crew bring me a baseball to give to a female fan wearing a Red Sox bikini sitting in my section, before i gave it to the fan i looked at the ball and it had his hotel and cell information on it... Manny being Manny.

Couldn't you have just rubbed it off and put YOUR phone number on it? (j/k) :upside:

I saw, I came, I left.

If anyone's noticed, tonight's victory over San Diego now makes 8 wins in a row for the Cubbies. This seriously has to be some sorta record for the franchise! ^_^

Also, David Ortiz was placed on the 15-day DL tonight with a jacked up wrist and is facing possible season ending surgury. With Big Papi and Dice-K out for awhile, it now looks like Boston will only win the AL East by 8 games instead of 18.

IDK with the way TB is playing I wouldn't doubt they get the division by 4

Once TB starts playing some road games they'll come back to earth.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Rays remind me of the 1984 Mets, after years of awful Baseball the Mets made a run at a division title but ran out of gas in September still winning 90 games. In 1984 it was good for just second in 2008 maybe it means Wild Card, but either way the Rays wont go away, and will be in the running all season.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

He's a lock for the Hall. First ballot, even.

I wouldn't say anyone is a stone cold lead pipe lock for The Hall these days. Sadly, you have to take into account the steroid era, which Manny played the bulk of his career in. Not to say ManRam won't get in following his brilliant career, in fact I hope he does, but let's not forget Rafael Palmeiroid's fall from grace after getting (what should have been) his automatic ticket to Cooperstown.

That's only because Raffy not only got caught taking steroids, he told baldface lies about it too. Mr. Palmeiry dug his own grave. I really hope Manny is clean. He's my favorite player that isn't a Brave.

That said, the Braves won a 1-run game earlier tonight. Must be a solar eclipse or something.

Once TB starts playing some road games they'll come back to earth.

Tampa Bay will be lucky if they can come outta nowhere and pull off a season like the 2003 Royals did ..... yet KC still finished about 5 games out when it was all said and done. Eventhough the Rays are off to a tremendous start, I'm almost certain they'll be out of it by September, if not sooner.

And yes people, the Northsiders continue to roll. Tonight's win in San Diego makes 9 in a row for the Cubs!

6uXNWAo.png

Joba's starting debut kinda got ruined today in a 9-3 loss to the Jays. That combined with an Orioles win puts the Yankees back in last place in the AL East.

We all know the Yanks have had their slow starts in recent years... but are they gonna get out of this now that Toronto and Tampa are in the way instead of just Boston?

BTW Dirty, it's great to see you back in the CCSLC.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Joba's starting debut kinda got ruined today in a 9-3 loss to the Jays. That combined with an Orioles win puts the Yankees back in last place in the AL East.

We all know the Yanks have had their slow starts in recent years... but are they gonna get out of this now that Toronto and Tampa are in the way instead of just Boston?

Personally, I think the Yanks are in trouble. Normally, they'd get back into the race by just beating up on the "other 3" teams in the AL East. Now that it seems like the Rays are for real, Boston is Boston, and the Jays are on the rise, it's going to be a lot tougher for the Empire to actually make their predictable rise to the top of the division.

I think if New York makes their post-ASG run like they normally do, they'll be fighting with either Tampa or Boston for the WC, most likely Tampa, IMO. But if they don't make that run and they happen to be a last place team this ear, then yeah, wait for the Steinbrenner family to explode.

Personally, I think the Yanks are in trouble. Normally, they'd get back into the race by just beating up on the "other 3" teams in the AL East. Now that it seems like the Rays are for real, Boston is Boston, and the Jays are on the rise, it's going to be a lot tougher for the Empire to actually make their predictable rise to the top of the division.

I think if New York makes their post-ASG run like they normally do, they'll be fighting with either Tampa or Boston for the WC, most likely Tampa, IMO. But if they don't make that run and they happen to be a last place team this ear, then yeah, wait for the Steinbrenner family to explode.

Especially with the back end of the rotation looking like it does. I just don't understand how moving Joba Chamberlain to the rotation makes sense. He's just going to be one more bullpen killer with one less capable body in the pen and Mo can't go two anymore.

By the way, DC... I agree with Braden, great to have you back. Glad to see the Cubs doing good. If not the Red Sox, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs win it all.

IUe6Hvh.png

Personally, I think the Yanks are in trouble. Normally, they'd get back into the race by just beating up on the "other 3" teams in the AL East. Now that it seems like the Rays are for real, Boston is Boston, and the Jays and Orioles are on the rise, it's going to be a lot tougher for the Empire to actually make their predictable rise to the top of the division.

fixed for you.

saBS.png

Braden & ITE88, much thanks.

As for today in baseball, John Smoltz, who is about as tough as they come in MLB, is having season-ending surgery on his right shoulder next week after trying to come off the DL in a closers roll and getting re-injured. I hope it's not then end of Smoltz's superb career cause he's such an easy guy to root for, but if it is, I do have him winding up in Cooperstown someday (just as long as he doesn't turn out to be another Clemens case of course :P).

And "The Streak" ends at 9 for the Cubs, as they go down to the Pads 2-1. Seriously, how does anyone lose to that team??

6uXNWAo.png

Archived