2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Just read the post above yours, and put down the homer hanky for a second, okay?

Yeah I saw it, though I don't exactly understand how you feel it relates to or answers me or what I said, but okay. I'm sure it's something having to do with NESN obviously showing how stupid and arrogant I am :rolleyes:

You don't need NESN for that chief. :D

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When did Brian Giles initially sign his contract that he's currently in? He had about 8 teams that he could block and trade to and the only one that was a contender (at the time of the signing) was Boston. The other teams were the likes of Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Washington and Kansas City.

Either he doesn't like the city of Boston or he just can't handle the pressure.

Maybe he just wanted to stay with The Padres. Could it possibly be that he's loyal to his team? Maybe his family is on the west coast and he doesn't want to leave them. Or it could be that he's a starter in San Diego and his playing time would have been reduced in Boston. Finally, maybe he's like a lot of us around here and he hates the Red Sox.

I think I could believe your post if he had an entire trade clause. His family is on the west coast and he wants to stay with them, but great. So if he gets traded to a team like Chicago or Cleveland, he doesn't get the chance to veto it. When he signed his contract in 2005, all of the teams were bottom-feeders, except Boston. So perhaps he doesn't like city OR he can't handle the pressure of the fans. Neither you or I know for sure.

Rumor was also that the deal would be Brian Giles in exchange for a player to be named later. In the offseason, Theo would of given Giles back to the Padres, as the player to be named later.

I gave a lot of reasons. Pick the one you like. Personally, I think he just hates Boston and doesn't want to play there. I bet if you did a survey of players a lot of them would say they don't want to play in Boston. Pressure is pressure. Are you telling me that being up with 2 outs in a clutch situation is somehow tougher in Boston than it is in Houston? Screw the media pressure. If that's a problem you just tell them you aren't talking. Steve Carlton went to the HOF and he never said :censored: to the Philly media. Who knows why he vetoed the trade? But better yet, who cares? It's not like Brian Giles was the missing piece that would have put Boston back in the World Series.

So you're telling me that the pressure from the fans in Boston is the same as it is in Pittsburgh, correct? Also, Jim Rice never talked to the media and he's not in the Hall of Fame, even though he has Hall of Fame numbers and just to prove that I'm talking with Red Sox bias, I also think that Don Mattingly should be in the Hall as well.

But yes, being in a clutch situation in Boston is a little bit tougher than being in one in Houston. The only city that could come close is New York. If Giles hates Boston, then so be it, but neither you nor me know the full story even though we do have our own speculations. It's also pretty crazy to saw that Brian Giles isn't the piece that the Red Sox need to repeat as World Series champions? You can't tell either whether or not he is! Who would of thought Dave Roberts was the missing key in '04? If Giles accepted the trade to Boston, who knows if he could of hit a pinch hit homer run to win the game?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

So you're telling me that the pressure from the fans in Boston is the same as it is in Pittsburgh, correct? Also, Jim Rice never talked to the media and he's not in the Hall of Fame, even though he has Hall of Fame numbers and just to prove that I'm talking with Red Sox bias, I also think that Don Mattingly should be in the Hall as well.

But yes, being in a clutch situation in Boston is a little bit tougher than being in one in Houston. The only city that could come close is New York. If Giles hates Boston, then so be it, but neither you nor me know the full story even though we do have our own speculations. It's also pretty crazy to saw that Brian Giles isn't the piece that the Red Sox need to repeat as World Series champions? You can't tell either whether or not he is! Who would of thought Dave Roberts was the missing key in '04? If Giles accepted the trade to Boston, who knows if he could of hit a pinch hit homer run to win the game?

1. My point about Carlton was that talking to the media has nothing to do with on field performance. Philly's media is every bit as brutal as Boston's and the fans may be worse. But that's beside the point. Neither Jim Rice or Don Mattingly (especially Mattingly) deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. The hall of the very good maybe but they are not hall of famers. Including Mattingly doesn't show you have an unbiased opinion. It simply shows that your bar for Hall Of Fame induction is way too low.

2. Baseball is baseball. You either hit in the clutch or you don't. A bunch of idiots in the seats at Fenway have no bearing on that. Giles isn't your guy in any ballpark if you're looking for a top flight clutch performer. He's a solid player but I don't think he's your answer to the gaping hole left by trading Manny.

3. It's not crazy to say that Giles isn't the missing piece for The Red Sox. What's crazy is to speculate that he might hit a home run and become another Dave Roberts or Bucky Dent. So in essence you're telling me that you want to trade for a guy that might do something in a theoretical situation? Hell, anyone can do that. Bring up a AAA player from Pawtucket and hope he gets lucky if that's all you're looking for.

You run the best right handed hitter in a generation out of town and then you whine when Brian Giles tells you thanks but no thanks. Call me crazy but a few weeks ago you guys had no need for an aging outfielder who is hitting .296 with 6 home runs. Now all of a sudden Brian Giles is the answer to everything? I thought you Red Sox people were supposed to be knowledgeable baseball fans.

BB52Big.jpg

The Rays have won 71 games......a franchise high. And they're 5-up on the Sawx in the loss column.

Go Rays!

I am hoping for a Rays-Marlins World Series just to piss off FOX and ESPN. Go Rays indeed. What a great story. The '69 Mets reborn in St. Petersburg.

BB52Big.jpg

I am hoping for a Rays-Marlins World Series just to piss off FOX and ESPN. Go Rays indeed. What a great story. The '69 Mets reborn in St. Petersburg.

You know, my Sox are definitely in the race, but I wouldn't mind a Rays-Marlins WS a bit. God knows ESPN covers the Red Sox and Yankees like it's nobody's business. Pisses me off - day after day.

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

2. Baseball is baseball. You either hit in the clutch or you don't. A bunch of idiots in the seats at Fenway have no bearing on that. Giles isn't your guy in any ballpark if you're looking for a top flight clutch performer. He's a solid player but I don't think he's your answer to the gaping hole left by trading Manny.

3. It's not crazy to say that Giles isn't the missing piece for the Red Sox. What's crazy is to speculate that he might hit a home run and become another Dave Roberts or Bucky Dent. So in essence you're telling me that you want to trade for a guy that might do something in a theoretical situation? Hell, anyone can do that. Bring up a AAA player from Pawtucket and hope he gets lucky if that's all you're looking for.

[4]You run the best right handed hitter in a generation out of town and then you whine when Brian Giles tells you thanks but no thanks. Call me crazy but a few weeks ago you guys had no need for an aging outfielder who is hitting .296 with 6 home runs. Now all of a sudden Brian Giles is the answer to everything? I thought you Red Sox people were supposed to be knowledgeable baseball fans.

2. This is off topic, but it's very iffy that clutch hitting even exists and if it does, there is virtually no correlation from year-to-year.

3. Pretty much agreed.

4. I don't know what you're trying to imply by this, but let me say that (1) Manny and Scott Boras just 100% ran himself out of town, (2) I don't want him here and I don't care if he says no but I just wonder his reasoning given the circumstances, (3) He is not the answer to everything, maybe a slight offensive upgrade over Crisp/Ellsbury but that's it, and he probably wouldn't start much, and (4) the Manny trade has absolutely nothing to do with the Sox needing or wanting Brian Giles.

At least that's my opinion.

1. My point about Carlton was that talking to the media has nothing to do with on field performance. Philly's media is every bit as brutal as Boston's and the fans may be worse. But that's beside the point. Neither Jim Rice or Don Mattingly (especially Mattingly) deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. The hall of the very good maybe but they are not hall of famers. Including Mattingly doesn't show you have an unbiased opinion. It simply shows that your bar for Hall Of Fame induction is way too low.

3. It's not crazy to say that Giles isn't the missing piece for The Red Sox. What's crazy is to speculate that he might hit a home run and become another Dave Roberts or Bucky Dent. So in essence you're telling me that you want to trade for a guy that might do something in a theoretical situation? Hell, anyone can do that. Bring up a AAA player from Pawtucket and hope he gets lucky if that's all you're looking for.

You run the best right handed hitter in a generation out of town and then you whine when Brian Giles tells you thanks but no thanks. Call me crazy but a few weeks ago you guys had no need for an aging outfielder who is hitting .296 with 6 home runs. Now all of a sudden Brian Giles is the answer to everything? I thought you Red Sox people were supposed to be knowledgeable baseball fans.

1. You're right! What was I thinking? Being an 8-time All Star, 11 20+ home run seasons, being in the top 5 for MVP voting 6 times, amongst other things are DEFINITELY not Hall of Fame credentials.

2. My family is friendly with a current major league outfielder. I asked him what it was like to play in Fenway. He says it's sometimes scary what people yell at you when you're there. The stuff they yelled (personal information mostly, wife's name, kid's names, his address, phone number, etc) didn't really affect him, but you can't look at me and say that it wouldn't affect at least some MLB players.

3. I want to know why you think the FANS were the reason that Manny Ramirez left Boston and how pushing an old man to the ground and dogging the last few weeks of the season were the fans fault as well. I'm very curious.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The Rays have won 71 games......a franchise high. And they're 5-up on the Sawx in the loss column.

Go Rays!

Rays Success = I can no longer use Yankees/Red Sox payrolls in the division as an excuse for never making the playoffs

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

1. You're right! What was I thinking? Being an 8-time All Star, 11 20+ home run seasons, being in the top 5 for MVP voting 6 times, amongst other things are DEFINITELY not Hall of Fame credentials.

2. My family is friendly with a current major league outfielder. I asked him what it was like to play in Fenway. He says it's sometimes scary what people yell at you when you're there. The stuff they yelled (personal information mostly, wife's name, kid's names, his address, phone number, etc) didn't really affect him, but you can't look at me and say that it wouldn't affect at least some MLB players.

3. I want to know why you think the FANS were the reason that Manny Ramirez left Boston and how pushing an old man to the ground and dogging the last few weeks of the season were the fans fault as well. I'm very curious.

1. In the heat of the moment I may have overstated things. I'll grant you that Rice is debatable. If I had a vote I'd probably say yes to Rice. Mostly because of how good his stats look now in comparison to the steroid era. Mattingly though? C'mon. He's not even in the same zip code as the hall.

2. Would any major league player admit (especially to a fan he's merely "friendly with") that the fans bother him? I still don't think the fans or their ass-holeness had anything to do with Giles' decision. Everyone acts like he just tossed a world series ring in the trash by refusing the trade.There was no guarantee he'd win :censored: by accepting a trade to Boston. Yes, Boston has a better record than the Padres but other than that why should he pick up and move there? Playing on a winning team is different from playing on a sure fire playoff team. Right now Boston isn't even a lock to make the playoffs. I'm quite certain that if a ring was guaranteed to him he probably would have accepted the trade. I also think that if you replaced Red Sox with Angels then Brian Giles wouldn't be a Padre tonight. And since this is an internet forum, no I can't look at you...well...at all. :D

3. I don't think the fans were the reason Manny was traded. I think Manny was the reason Manny was traded. All the fans did around here was talk about how much they hoped he'd be traded and you all were sure happy to get rid of him. Now you're crying and questioning the dedication of a guy who's about 45% as good as Manny. And it's simply because he told you he doesn't want to play for your team.

BB52Big.jpg

GO ANGELS!

LIGHT UP THE HALO!!!!

We might need to replace a few bulbs up there soon, they might burn out from the overuse

A sweep of the Yanks...

First home sweep of the Yanks since 1995...

Outscored the Yanks 25-12 in the 3 games...

And after going to 2 of the 3 games, there was as close to a playoff atmosphere that you could have in mid-August...

Amazing...

31 games over .500...

14 game division lead over Texas... (which is greater than all the other division leads combined by a whole 3.5 games!!!)

Now a well deserved day off, and a quick 2-gamer at home vs the dregs of the AL, Seattle. Another day off and 6-game roady through the dregs of the AL Central, Cleveland, and onto America's team, the AL East-leading Tampa Bay Rays.

I can't wait for that series. The Angels are only 2-4 against the Rays, and it'd be nice for the Angels to go and try and set the Rays down for a bit, let them know who they'll ahve to get through in October.

I know I sound conifident, maybe slightly cocky, but its good times in Halotown right now.

And seriously, an Angels/Rays matchup could be quite interesting, especially with the coaching connections, knowledge, and similar styles. I'm all for an Angels/Rays ALCS seeing that as of today, that's the only time they could face in the playoffs, unless the Sox come back up and dethrone them.

I can feel it, it is getting close to the end... and then the real race begins.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

GO ANGELS!

LIGHT UP THE HALO!!!!

We might need to replace a few bulbs up there soon, they might burn out from the overuse

A sweep of the Yanks...

First home sweep of the Yanks since 1995...

Outscored the Yanks 25-12 in the 3 games...

And after going to 2 of the 3 games, there was as close to a playoff atmosphere that you could have in mid-August...

Amazing...

31 games over .500...

14 game division lead over Texas... (which is greater than all the other division leads combined by a whole 3.5 games!!!)

Now a well deserved day off, and a quick 2-gamer at home vs the dregs of the AL, Seattle. Another day off and 6-game roady through the dregs of the AL Central, Cleveland, and onto America's team, the AL East-leading Tampa Bay Rays.

I can't wait for that series. The Angels are only 2-4 against the Rays, and it'd be nice for the Angels to go and try and set the Rays down for a bit, let them know who they'll ahve to get through in October.

I know I sound conifident, maybe slightly cocky, but its good times in Halotown right now.

And seriously, an Angels/Rays matchup could be quite interesting, especially with the coaching connections, knowledge, and similar styles. I'm all for an Angels/Rays ALCS seeing that as of today, that's the only time they could face in the playoffs, unless the Sox come back up and dethrone them.

I can feel it, it is getting close to the end... and then the real race begins.

Great time to be an Angels fan! Enjoy it, man... you have every right to be confident, they're the best team in baseball. And thanks for sweeping the Yanks!

I don't think the Sox will overtake the Rays but if they do it'll be because of the last two weeks of the season, where the Rays finish with a pretty good sized road trip and the Sox have a good sized home stand. Either way the Sox will have to get through the Halo's if they want to represent the AL -- I'd almost rather it be in the first round where Beckett can pitch twice in a 5 game series. Obviously winning the division is the goal, though.

Do the Angels get the Rays at home?

IUe6Hvh.png

No, the Rays series is in St. Tampasberg.

We have 2 more games with Seattle on this homestand, then a 6-game roady through Cleveland and Tampa, and then finish out the month with an 11-game homestand with Minnesota (4 games), Oakland (3 games) and Texas (4 games)

But of course, were they to meet in the playoffs, the Rays would come out here.

oh and

BOO SOX!

:D

I can't tell you how happy we all are down here that we're finally beating you guys, especially beating you in Boston where Fenway has been a house of horrors for the Angels and particularly the pitchers, especially Lackey.

And of course now if we do meet, it'll start in Anaheim where we could hopefully get a quick 2-game lead on you clowns and make it a bit easier and take the pressure off of us in Boston.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

No, the Rays series is in St. Tampasberg.

We have 2 more games with Seattle on this homestand, then a 6-game roady through Cleveland and Tampa, and then finish out the month with an 11-game homestand with Minnesota (4 games), Oakland (3 games) and Texas (4 games)

But of course, were they to meet in the playoffs, the Rays would come out here.

oh and

BOO SOX!

:D

Not good. They're damn near unbeatable at home. Here's to hoping you guys can fix that little problem.

... and

YAY SOX!

^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

Go Rays!

Wait, didnt someone on here say they will be in last place in the East when it is all said and done? Gonna take one hell of a fall just to miss the playoffs.

Go Rays!

Wait, didnt someone on here say they will be in last place in the East when it is all said and done? Gonna take one hell of a fall just to miss the playoffs.
Agreed, though it's not that impossible, they're only six games up on the 2nd place wild card team.

LvZYtbZ.png

Wow, I didn't think they had it in 'em.

All you trivia thread whores out there, here's one for y'all...when was the last time the MLB home run leader was traded midseason. It may not be worded correctly, but you know what I mean.

And no, I don't know the answer.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived