Bid for Montreal MLS Franchise in the Works

Brian in Boston

Joey Saputo, president of the USL-1 Montreal Impact, has revealed that he has teamed up with George Gillett in an effort to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Montreal. Gillett is the majority owner of the Montreal Canadiens and co-owner of Liverpool in the Barclay's Premier League.

"I can confirm that we are in discussions with Gillett Entertainment Group, as well as with Major League Soccer, to bring an MLS franchise to Montreal," Saputo said in a statement. "However, I am currently in no position to share any more details, since doing so would jeopardize the process."

Montreal's La Presse has reported that Gillett and Saputo informed MLS of their interest in obtaining a franchise in a letter sent to the league on March 12th. The two partners would reportedly split the $30-million franchise fee, as well as the estimated $12-million cost to expand Saputo Stadium from 13,000 to 20,000 seats. They hope to brand the franchise as Montreal FC and begin play in the 2009 MLS season.

Joey Saputo, president of the USL-1 Montreal Impact, has revealed that he has teamed up with George Gillett in an effort to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Montreal. Gillett is the majority owner of the Montreal Canadiens and co-owner of Liverpool in the Barclay's Premier League.

"I can confirm that we are in discussions with Gillett Entertainment Group, as well as with Major League Soccer, to bring an MLS franchise to Montreal," Saputo said in a statement. "However, I am currently in no position to share any more details, since doing so would jeopardize the process."

Montreal's La Presse has reported that Gillett and Saputo informed MLS of their interest in obtaining a franchise in a letter sent to the league on March 12th. The two partners would reportedly split the $30-million franchise fee, as well as the estimated $12-million cost to expand Saputo Stadium from 13,000 to 20,000 seats. They hope to brand the franchise as Montreal FC and begin play in the 2009 MLS season.

Sounds great to me, let's hope this goes down and TFC can have a true rival!

Here's the link:

TSN

untitled-6.jpg

Will Toronto end up as Montreal's MLS farm team? :D

Not really thrilled about the "Montreal FC" thing, the Impact name holding history, but we see how much MLS cares about any soccer that isn't MLS.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Will Toronto end up as Montreal's MLS farm team? :D

Not really thrilled about the "Montreal FC" thing, the Impact name holding history, but we see how much MLS cares about any soccer that isn't MLS.

Toronto FC has the three year Canadian only agreement, therefore if this does go down in 2009 I'm guessing they'll have some rights. I doubt if they let them in, they'll be Montreal FC. I personally can't stand the Impact name.

I'd like to see a play on some Montreal tradition and see them name themselve the Maroons or the Wanderers. Both fit for soccer and both are class.

untitled-6.jpg

I would love to see another team in Canada, the sport is getting more and more popular

Hopefully in the future there can be a team in Vancouver or Calgary

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Olympique Montreal ... though I doubt the locals want a reminder ^_^

Considering the trend in Quebec toward more French-language dominance and combine that with MLS's obsession with pilfering Euro soccer team names, don't be surprised if this is the team name.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume Montreal will be one of the next franchise in MLS, as everything is in place. However the article states 2009, is it to late now for them to be entered into the league for then?

untitled-6.jpg

Being a Montreal Sports Fan, usually team names are really classical, civic and historical. Here are my choices for the name for a potential MLS team to take place nearby Big O.

1. Impact de Montréal: This name works well since about 20 years and resonate in all Quebec soccer fans.

2. Royal de Montréal: An old baseball team name, remember Jackie Robinson

3. Concorde de Montréal: Previously use for CFL, reminds city's motto: Concordia Salus

4. International de Montréal: Could reminds Expo '67 and the multicultural face of MTL

5. Club Olympique de Montréal: Why not, very classy!

6. Manic de Montréal : MTL name of 70's-NASL team name, reminds hydro-power, Quebec's biggest asset

7. Club de Soccer Canadien: Very Hab-ish...

8. Tricolore de Montréal: Habish also!

9. Rocket de Montréal:

10. Go Habs Go!!! hahaha

What about Montreal FC: Not really for me, I don't get the idea of having Toronto & Montreal named the same way.

I'm really in this new club, MTL is a perfect fit for MLS!

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

5. Club Olympique de Montréal: Why not, very classy!

Love it very classy name. Have team colours of yellow, blue and red. I think it'd be amazing.

I wish the MLS can put a team in Montreal this year. The city is crazy about soccer. I should know. This name has been used in the past, but Machine de Montreal has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

I don't like that name at all. Just doesn't seem right to me. Not classy enough for Montreal.

untitled-6.jpg

6. Manic de Montréal : MTL name of 70's-NASL team name, reminds hydro-power, Quebec's biggest asset

Oh Yeah! Oh Yeah!

Unfortunately, all I can remember when I hear the Manic's name is the radio show parody of Gilles Vigneault's song "Si tu savais comme on s'ennuie AVEC LE Manic".

For those not familiar with one of the Pioneer of French-Canadian music, the original song read: "We're bored AT LA Manic" Manic being short for Manicouagan, a river where a major Hydro Power Plant was being built, hence labourers would go there (like the Alberta Oil-Sands) for months away from their family). and the "Festival de l'humour Québécois" (Quebec's version of the Royal Air Farce) parodied it into " we're bored WITH the Manic".

Canadian Soccer NEEDS this rivalry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

FC Atlanta

Woah, hold on there... let's not get too crazy. Atlanta FC works.

What are you talking about? We'd much rather see Atlanta Dynamic-Forward-Thinking-Online-Poll-Then-Disregard-Fan's-Choice-Fans-Hate-The-Name-Anyway-But-At-Least-It's-Not-From-Europe. They can wear red and their "fans nickname" can be the reds.

Olympique Montreal ... though I doubt the locals want a reminder ^_^

Considering the trend in Quebec toward more French-language dominance and combine that with MLS's obsession with pilfering Euro soccer team names, don't be surprised if this is the team name.

Trend? French has been in full dominance for almost thirty years now. Quiet Revolution, viva Rene Levesque.

Archived