Wow, the Lerners Really Hate the Nats' DC Logo

BallWonk

Given that the cap was photographed at RFK, being worn by a person with field access, in the early part of the 2005 season, and given how exactly the cap matches the decorative style of the DC logo adopted by the team, we can be reasonably sure that the origin of the W logo itself is with the Nats organization or MLB.

It was actually taken on April 13, 2006. (I was the photographer)

But all your points are fantastically true.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Walgreens, just in the last few days I've noticed the retailer using its own curly W as a stand-alone logo in print and on TV. I don't recall seeing that before; I'm accustomed to seeing Walgreens use its whole name as its primary logo. Yet in the Sunday newspaper ad in the Washington Post as well as on local TV here in Washington, Walgreens is using its curly W as a stand-alone one-letter logo.

20082614447.png

This version? Or without the mortar and pestle?

walgreens_logo_lg.jpg

No mortar and pestle. Just the W. On TV as a sort of gray-on-white, almost sublimated background image, and in print in red and white.

I only checked a few locations, but it appears to be nationwide.

Walgreens Weekly Ad Search

08041301adr2lno12drr2v4so7.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

As an aside, the Nats pulled out the DC alternates on Sunday.

Nats/Braves 4/13/08

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• 8 months later...
The current Nats unis are a perfect example of early millenium crappy design that will inevitably be changed within the next 5 years or so. I'd keep the iconic looking 'curly W' over a 'crappy soon to be changed design trendy look' anyday.

I don't mind the home uniform or the new away logotype, but I think the primary logo is already looking a bit tired. The baseball at the bottom makes it very awkward. Versions without the baseball look a whole lot better.

2316.gif

If he started a new thread just to say "the Nats' primary is getting tired," he would've been chewed out for that. Some folks can't win.

No kidding. And then there are folks like BBM, who have a difficult time posting something relevant or constructive to a thread on this board :rolleyes:

The current Nats unis are a perfect example of early millenium crappy design that will inevitably be changed within the next 5 years or so. I'd keep the iconic looking 'curly W' over a 'crappy soon to be changed design trendy look' anyday.

I don't mind the home uniform or the new away logotype, but I think the primary logo is already looking a bit tired. The baseball at the bottom makes it very awkward. Versions without the baseball look a whole lot better.

2316.gif

That may be the worst primary logo in MLB. Extra points deducted for actually using beveling. Eww.

It's okay. I liked the one with "Washington Nationals" circling "DC" more, but this is good too. The beveling makes sense; it matches the jersey scripts. What about the ribbon, though? The way it curls is making my brain hurt. Is it red, but blue on one side If you follow the curl, the wrong side is red, isn't it? I dunno. This is worse than a Mobius strip. And the shadow in the baseball! Why? You're right. It sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived