Danbury EPHL to be named the Danbury Mad Hatters

Geoff

Not a bad name, given the city's heritage. But an awful logo.

Whimsical and homicidal seldom go together, creating instead an awkwardly aggresive mess.

Agreed, although I don't mind the mascot part of the logo so much. But I think the name "Mad Hatters" can be expected to bring to mind some combination of these thoughts for most people:

1. Alice in Wonderland

2. Old-timey hat-wearing

3. A lesser Batman villain

Throw out the third one as both too obscure and problematic from an IP standpoint, and you're left with a pair of Victorian-era references. That would seem to argue for a classy, retro wordmark. And you can do whimsical while doing classy Victoriana.

Horror-movie scrawl is just absolutely the wrong way to go with this name.

Oh, and where's the 10/6 tag on the hat? (Or some other set of two numbers that would be meaningful for the team or city.)

20082614447.png

Is this the same Danbury that had the Trashers? Or am I just completely off here?

As for the logo, I'm not sure I like it. I kinda wish they would've went all-out Alice in Wonderland-style and had a cartoon guy wearing a big ol' hat. The wordmark blows, IMO, and I don't see a need for the puck flying around behind. It's not like the hat took a shot.

The logo says "Mad Hats" more than "Mad Hatters".

The stick end does look disjointed.

The puck is unnecessary.

The wordmark is not creative and doesn't work on this concept.

There may even be too many colors, I will wait to see how they use them on their website and jerseys.

Poor.

Random thoughts, observations and answers.

* Danbury's EPHL franchise opted for the Mad Hatters identity in order to distinguish the team from the Danbury High School Hatters athletic teams.

* Yes, the Danbury in question is the same community that was home to the Danbury Trashers.

* Frankly, I don't find this logo to be up to Francis Santaquilani's normal standards. It strikes me as being little more than a number of random design elements from divergent concepts all forced together in a single logo.

Uh, great idea. Bring back a name with huge organized crime ties. That'll go over well.

Plus the logo sucked...

Let the Trashers identity remain swimming with the fishes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Did you seriously just censor the word poop? Wow, I can honestly say I've never seen that before. The fact of the matter is the new owners have no claim or right to the name or logos used by the Trashers. They really wanted to get away from the bad taste left in the towns mouth.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

...It strikes me as being little more than a number of random design elements from divergent concepts all forced together in a single logo....

Like the Quad Cities River Bandits logo. You can almost sense that the client said, "I like part of this logo, but combine it with this part of the other option, and we need a puck, so just throw it in there."

Cards.png

Did you seriously just censor the word poop? Wow, I can honestly say I've never seen that before. The fact of the matter is the new owners have no claim or right to the name or logos used by the Trashers. They really wanted to get away from the bad taste left in the towns mouth.

Didn't know whether the fecal matter was appropriate :blink:

An important thing to remember is that rarely does the final product ever match the vision the artist had to begin with.

That's the case more often than not. That should be taken into consideration when you critique a logo. If it were left

completely up to the artist, every logo you see would probably be perfect. The client gets what the client wants. Taking

a piece from one concept and sticking it on another concept happens often. Everyone's an expert, especially the client.

But unfortunately usually never the artist.

Archived