The Georgia Dome is getting a makeover....

HedleyLamarr

The Falcons have always had red, white, black, and gray/silver as their colors.

Well, the Gray/Silver didn't come into their color scheme until 1978. Unless you count the helmet facemasks before then (!).

They listed Old Gold as an official color until '78 as well...even though it was only present on the helmets from 1966 through 1969.

They didn't start winning until they dropped the Old Gold. Coincidence?

Show off...... :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Falcons have always had red, white, black, and gray/silver as their colors.

Well, the Gray/Silver didn't come into their color scheme until 1978. Unless you count the helmet facemasks before then (!).

They listed Old Gold as an official color until '78 as well...even though it was only present on the helmets from 1966 through 1969.

They didn't start winning until they dropped the Old Gold. Coincidence?

Show off...... :D

Did I miss something? When did the Falcons ever start "winning?"

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

When I was in ATL I was amazed at how bland and uninspiring that dome looked, especially being near the Phillips Arena, which despite appearing smaller than most other newer arenas, looked fantastic.

O/T - I was also shocked at how lame the Alamo Dome looks in person. It's like these two domes are the "New Comiskey" of domed football stadiums - new, but built right before the dawn of the great stadium era.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When I was in ATL I was amazed at how bland and uninspiring that dome looked, especially being near the Phillips Arena, which despite appearing smaller than most other newer arenas, looked fantastic.

O/T - I was also shocked at how lame the Alamo Dome looks in person. It's like these two domes are the "New Comiskey" of domed football stadiums - new, but built right before the dawn of the great stadium era.

Hear hear. The Alamo Dome is utter crap and god willing, will never soil an NFL franchise. It'd be the Tropicana Field for football.

You mean the ones that aren't domed? :P

Well there are the great "traditional" stadiums (OPACY, PNC Park, Lincoln Financial Field, Seattle Seahawks, and a bunch others) and the great "non-traditional" stadiums (Reliant, Ford, BOB (or whatever it is called now), new Dallas, etc.

Georgia Dome, Tropicana Field, Alamo Dome, all got built a few years too early - just like (at least what most people say about) New Comiskey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well there are the great "traditional" stadiums (OPACY, PNC Park, Lincoln Financial Field, Seattle Seahawks, and a bunch others) and the great "non-traditional" stadiums (Reliant, Ford, BOB (or whatever it is called now), new Dallas, etc.

Hey -- what about MY teams' place? University of Phoenix Stadium?

UOPStadium.jpg

That place kicks all kinds of butt.

[/unmitigatedbias]

:P

(Waiting for the inevitable ragging on my Cardinals...)

they should just paint it Purple and gold for the reigning champs.....

Not.

It looks good, I saw them painting it while I was at the Auto show.

Oh, was that the auto show the weekend before last?

The big AJC one.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis and Detroit's Ford Field were also built after fully enclosed domes went out of style.

These "New Comiskey" domes were built to attract non-football events like Final Fours, bowl games and conference title games, but a retractable roof still would have allowed for such events.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis and Detroit's Ford Field were also built after fully enclosed domes went out of style.

The TWA is a big airplane hanger with all the requisite ambiance.

Ford Field is actually a nice venue that incorporates existing architecture well. Probably the best domed stadium in the NFL, for my money.

The Alamo Dome is utter crap and god willing, will never soil an NFL franchise. It'd be the Tropicana Field for football.

Excellent analogy and well-put, Ferrous...

It is what it is.

UOPStadium.jpg

I passed by this past summer when we took our Phoenix/Sedona/Grand Canyon vacation. Great stadium, inside and out, great features, cutting edge design, but WAY OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I especially like the crop fields on the other side of the 101 (I think you can see them in that shot)

Give me a downtown location like the Superdome, Georgia Dome, Ford Field or even Soldier Field any day over a site like that.... :P

It is what it is.

UOPStadium.jpg

I passed by this past summer when we took our Phoenix/Sedona/Grand Canyon vacation. Great stadium, inside and out, great features, cutting edge design, but WAY OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I especially like the crop fields on the other side of the 101 (I think you can see them in that shot)

Give me a downtown location like the Superdome, Georgia Dome, Ford Field or even Soldier Field any day over a site like that.... :P

Give it a couple of years...they've got a LOT going on out there. The Westgate development is only part of it. The Bidwills are planning a 40-story mixed-use development in the works, and a whole bunch of other things are also going in.

It will be a really cool area in a little while.

UOPStadium.jpg

Give it a couple of years...they've got a LOT going on out there. The Westgate development is only part of it. The Bidwills are planning a 40-story mixed-use development in the works, and a whole bunch of other things are also going in.

It will be a really cool area in a little while.

Seriously, it is getting MUCH bigger. Glendale, that is. I go out there to visit relatives over Winter Break, and I always go a Coyotes game. I was AMAZED at how much bigger it had gotten over a year. Like, I think there was a mall, and there was definitely a movie theater right next to Jobing.com Arena. Also, they have this huge outdoor warehouse type place. But I went there the first season the Coyotes were there, with no Cardinals field, and there was only a few buildings.

UOPStadium.jpg

[/unmitigatedbias]

Duh. I knew there was one I was leaving out, and I didn't have much time to think of it, so I used Ford Field instead. U of Phoenix Stadium is a perfect example of the "new era", while (as someone else mentioned) the TWA dome would be one of the New Comiskeys.

they should just paint it Purple and gold for the reigning champs.....

Nah,they should just go ahead and paint it Crimson and White since we are about to regain our prominence.

yeah well other college football-related posturing!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

UOPStadium.jpg

[/unmitigatedbias]

Duh. I knew there was one I was leaving out, and I didn't have much time to think of it, so I used Ford Field instead. U of Phoenix Stadium is a perfect example of the "new era", while (as someone else mentioned) the TWA dome would be one of the New Comiskeys.

But the New Comiskey has undergone a lot of positive changes. It's actually a very pleasant place to watch a game now.

UOPStadium.jpg

[/unmitigatedbias]

But the New Comiskey has undergone a lot of positive changes. It's actually a very pleasant place to watch a game now.

Oh, I don't doubt that it's a nice place to watch a game, but from everything I've read (I've been to it, but not seen a game there) it is still nothing like the Pac Bells, Citizens Banks, PNCs, Millers, etc. The fact that a stadium that opened in the early 90s already has required so much work just to be up to par says a lot.

I'm not dissing the stadium, but the overwelming opinion is that it was rushed and built immediately before the great stadium / entertainment-center era.

Archived