Wharton Wildmen

GFB

OK, so I'm making a logo for a customer and his ex-hockey team (at least I'm pretty sure that's right). They are called the Wharton Wildmen and they were having a hard time reproducing their old logo due to copyright laws...

20080527-by3hdgfbcgxbfyrrmkat9n16gt.preview.jpg

So I came up with this:

Wildmen_logo4-1.png

Anyway, the customer suggested that I post it over here and get some other opinions. Here are some of the issues we are looking at:

- The thumb on the right hand

- The jawline vs. nostrils

- The use of WHARTON instead of WILDMEN script

ALSO! (SHAMELESS SELF-PLUG COMING)

Be sure to check out the contest I'm organizing... we are having applicant problems, so you should check it out!

Link!

Thanks,

Matt

Just at a quick glance, try to tuck the thumb in behind the fingers or make it go to the left along with underneath the stick, as if he was holding it with more of an open thumb. The face looks fine in my mind. Definitely looks wild! I am not sold on the wordmark, with having such a solid main piece, it just seems like you took the word and distorted the hell out of it without much thought. It might be the font or just how it is distorted but it doesn't fit.

The only other thing I can really see is try to make the tape/white highlight on the stick go straight across. Don't use the curved "fangs" to represent the tape, try to bring them more straight across.

Great work so far! Love the wildman, reminds me of a cross between a pissed off yeti and the Havoc hockey logo. Awesome job!

- The use of WHARTON instead of WILDMEN script

Perhaps you could have an alternate logo for use on the team's road jersey that has a 'Wharton' script, kind of like how the Bruins have two different versions of their shoulder patch:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=cr63feesyplokk50k5od

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=h3y62vqzbcu7br7bogzk

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Ummm...maybe not in the scope you were looking for critique on, but it seems to me that the briefcase in the original one was in there for a reason, right? Is it a group of businessmen friends in a local rec league or something. If so, perhaps it might be wise to work some sort of "business" aspect to the logo. Perhaps an "Incredible Hulked" shirt and tie? That would mean considerable reworking of the logo, though, and you may have already thought of that anyway and dismissed it. But, just my two cents.

Ummm...maybe not in the scope you were looking for critique on, but it seems to me that the briefcase in the original one was in there for a reason, right? Is it a group of businessmen friends in a local rec league or something. If so, perhaps it might be wise to work some sort of "business" aspect to the logo. Perhaps an "Incredible Hulked" shirt and tie? That would mean considerable reworking of the logo, though, and you may have already thought of that anyway and dismissed it. But, just my two cents.

If you want to keep the business aspect, you could work the tie in in the big dark band just below the wildman's chin.

Or, instead of both arms holing the stick, you could have the stick in the left (same as now (?)) and have the troublesome right arm up in the air flailing a briefcase.

Don't Change: Color scheme, stubby nose, or the fangs.

Otherwise, fix the hand as described ablove and it's twice as good as any other rec league...

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

The only problem I see is the thumb on the right hand, the other things you mentioned are okay as is. I love the overall look, but the thumb just takes a lot away from it. I played around with it and it looked best when the thumb was smaller, and didn't wrap around the stick as much. Visually only the white claw part was 'on top of' the stick...aka only white overlaps the stick, the red stops before the stick starts. I wouldn't try to curl the claw/nail around the stick either, as that isn't a realistic grasping technique(I wouldn't think a claw would curl). Hope that makes sense, and after that one flaw this looks great. keep up the good work.

I used to play against the Wharton Wildmen a few years ago, and I remember they had that Taz logo. They are students in the Wharton business (graduate) school of UPenn in Philadelphia, it's actually a very prestigious school. That's probably where the suitcase comes in. They play against other local teams, but I don't think they play against other universities (or at least they didn't used to.) I think it was just something the students did for fun, I never actually knew if they were getting school credits for it.

I think "Wharton" should be displayed on the jersey since that is who they represent and which is well-known in the area.

I personally think that the sasquatch thing is a little funny looking. But it's not bad, maybe they'll like it.

I'd lose the jagged shadows on the hockey blade, though, that seems unnecessary.

And I'd lose the different colored fingernails.

I would say you almost need to rotate that right thumb. I was just kind of visualizing how one would hold a hockey stick and the nail and knuckle side of the thumb would be facing the blade...almost as if making a fist around the stick. I guess that easiest way to do this would be to shorten the thumb and move the nail closer to the other nails to give it more of that grasping effect. Overall great job.

brewerssig.jpg

I used to play against the Wharton Wildmen a few years ago, and I remember they had that Taz logo. They are students in the Wharton business (graduate) school of UPenn in Philadelphia, it's actually a very prestigious school. That's probably where the suitcase comes in. They play against other local teams, but I don't think they play against other universities (or at least they didn't used to.) I think it was just something the students did for fun, I never actually knew if they were getting school credits for it.

I think "Wharton" should be displayed on the jersey since that is who they represent and which is well-known in the area.

I personally think that the sasquatch thing is a little funny looking. But it's not bad, maybe they'll like it.

I'd lose the jagged shadows on the hockey blade, though, that seems unnecessary.

And I'd lose the different colored fingernails.

Okay, I actually thought it was the Wharton School of Business, but when I checked on their website the logo was different so I talked myself out of it.

Edit: As an aside, I knew a guy from high school who went to Penn and then to Wharton, and one Xmas break he brought back some friends. I tell ya, they love themselves some going to Wharton. They were almost as big of jagoffs as everyone I've ever met who went to Notre Dame.

The right thumb pretty much needs to interlock with the rest of the fingers, because as of right now, it looks like its bending backwards to the side to get itself around the stick. Either interlock or come atop the rest of the fingers.

For example, if you bend your fingers the way the wildman is, imitating holding a hockey stick of course, you'll notice your thumb meets with your index finger (the f you finger).

i think the face looks a little flat...but maybe it was supposed to look that way - i'd personally like it better if there were more depth around the nose

i agree wholeheartedly with steve-o regarding the warping of the wordmark and the tape on the stick - i also wonder if you need to introduce another color, just for the stick...maybe you could use the darker red for the stick color

i would use "wharton" as the primary focus for the wordmark, as well, and find a way to work "wildmen" in

i'm with aao on the thumb treatment...they've got to overlap, in my opinion

jldesigns404eo.png

All very good critiques... thanks for the help! When your designing something, sometimes it's hard to take a step back from your work because you are so close to it....

• 2 weeks later...
All very good critiques... thanks for the help! When your designing something, sometimes it's hard to take a step back from your work because you are so close to it....

Hey all,

I'm the client, great comments. I was hoping to get some updated thoughts on the most recent revision.

Thanks!

20080609-ftmtg4hh6g72cbhptpbi4rcimb.jpg

1. Try having the Wildman "jump out" of the shield and move "Wharton" to the blue "box" on top of the shield. The great rendering of the animal is the key visual and should stick out more than the wordmark, which is just "meh" to me.

2. I'd also "fill in" the dark blue area to the left (facing) side of the Wildman's face to make it round...as is, it looks as if someone took a bit out of his head.

3. I would also have a universally-sized outline around the Wildman. The red on top of its head is one size, while the red on the right side of the head and body appears to be half the size.

My $0.02...you have a nice looking logo on your hands, Rangers4me.

Cards.png

Archived