NBA Offseason Central

LEWJ

The Cavs still need a better PG. Delonte West is solid, and Daniel Gibson is great off the bench, but IMO neither are good enough to start day-after-day, especially looking at what they could have. I think Steve Nash could be a legit fit in Cleveland as well. And boy, Allen Iverson, would be cool =D

Also I think they need a PF. I know they just got Wallace, but he's not doing anything in the short run, and he's getting old, so there is no long run. I think Antawn Jamison would be cool, but his interest in the Cavs is probably close to zero, after the rough playoff series. Ben Gordon would probably work well too. Other notables: Shawn Marion, Jermaine O'Neal.

Before the Cavs try to get any big names, they should probably first try to get rid of some of their big contracts, such as Wally Szczerbiak, who I'm sure is worth a second-round pick to some team. As for the Cavaliers' situation at PF, I don't think Ben Gordon would work too well considering the fact that he's a 6'3" SG :P . Also, Marion has publicly announced that he's going to resign with Miami and Jermaine O'Neal has informed the Pacers that he won't opt out of his contract, so they're non-options (barring a trade, of course).

On a non-Cavaliers note, Ron Artest's agent has publicly stated that Artest won't be opting out of his current contract with the Kings, as it could likely lead to a pay cut via free-agency. Also, sources within the NBA have confirmed what has long been known: Stephon Marbury has no trade value. Said one GM, "Unless he wants to take a paycut down to $5 and be our mascot, why would we want him?"

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a non-Cavaliers note, Ron Artest's agent has publicly stated that Artest won't be opting out of his current contract with the Kings, as it could likely lead to a pay cut via free-agency. Also, sources within the NBA have confirmed what has long been known: Stephon Marbury has no trade value. Said one GM, "Unless he wants to take a paycut down to $5 and be our mascot, why would we want him?"

Actually, Steph has a good deal of value as his contract expires at the end of the 2008-09 season. That's a nice bit of cap relief (especially if you sit him out and let him collect his money until he expires). That said, I'll kill someone (or multiple people) if the Knicks trade Marbury.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

The Cavs still need a better PG. Delonte West is solid, and Daniel Gibson is great off the bench, but IMO neither are good enough to start day-after-day, especially looking at what they could have. I think Steve Nash could be a legit fit in Cleveland as well. And boy, Allen Iverson, would be cool =D

Also I think they need a PF. I know they just got Wallace, but he's not doing anything in the short run, and he's getting old, so there is no long run. I think Antawn Jamison would be cool, but his interest in the Cavs is probably close to zero, after the rough playoff series. Ben Gordon would probably work well too. Other notables: Shawn Marion, Jermaine O'Neal.

Before the Cavs try to get any big names, they should probably first try to get rid of some of their big contracts, such as Wally Szczerbiak, who I'm sure is worth a second-round pick to some team. As for the Cavaliers' situation at PF, I don't think Ben Gordon would work too well considering the fact that he's a 6'3" SG :P . Also, Marion has publicly announced that he's going to resign with Miami and Jermaine O'Neal has informed the Pacers that he won't opt out of his contract, so they're non-options (barring a trade, of course).

Oops. I knew Ben Gordon was a SG I didn't mean to make it sound like he was a PF. haha.

I have a feeling if they did pick him up they'd be trying hard to make him a PG, kinda like they did with Larry Hughes, which didn't work.

And I strongly agree that they need to get rid of some big contracts. But they could keep Wallace's contract until it expires in 2010, and then they could try and make a move for Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade, etc.(their contracts also expire in 2010), first they'd have to secure LeBron in Cleveland by resigning him, but they'd still have plenty to spend on D-Wade or Bsh IMO. It's kinda iffy if something like this could work, but boy would it be great long term thinking on their part.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Oops. I knew Ben Gordon was a SG I didn't mean to make it sound like he was a PF. haha.

I have a feeling if they did pick him up they'd be trying hard to make him a PG, kinda like they did with Larry Hughes, which didn't work.

And I strongly agree that they need to get rid of some big contracts. But they could keep Wallace's contract until it expires in 2010, and then they could try and make a move for Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade, etc.(their contracts also expire in 2010), first they'd have to secure LeBron in Cleveland by resigning him, but they'd still have plenty to spend on D-Wade or Bsh IMO. It's kinda iffy if something like this could work, but boy would it be great long term thinking on their part.

No way it could logistically work having LeBron on the same team as Wade or Bosh, nevermind the fact that, financially, it's almost totally implausible. LeBron is, more or less, a Point-Forward. Seven times out of ten, it's LeBron who's taking the ball up the court for the Cavs. Now consider D-Wade's recent role in Miami: he's their de facto PG. It's fun to think about (and great if you're doing Franchise mode in NBA 2K8), but it wouldn't work. As for Bosh, because LeBron is such a jack-of-all trades and because LeBron's so big (6'8", 250), having Bosh there would simply make things worse for everyone. What Cleveland needs is a PG who can distribute and play D, something like the poor man's Jason Kidd. Another thing that could substitute for a good PG would be a solid big who isn't afraid to bang down low (i.e. not Chris Bosh). However, Cleveland can't afford to wait until 2010 to make a move, because, by that time, LeBron will be so furious with the Cavs' front office for having him for 6 seasons and not getting him any :censored: help, that he's not going to trust them enough to resign.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

No way it could logistically work having LeBron on the same team as Wade or Bosh, nevermind the fact that, financially, it's almost totally implausible. LeBron is, more or less, a Point-Forward. Seven times out of ten, it's LeBron who's taking the ball up the court for the Cavs. Now consider D-Wade's recent role in Miami: he's their de facto PG. It's fun to think about (and great if you're doing Franchise mode in NBA 2K8), but it wouldn't work. As for Bosh, because LeBron is such a jack-of-all trades and because LeBron's so big (6'8", 250), having Bosh there would simply make things worse for everyone. What Cleveland needs is a PG who can distribute and play D, something like the poor man's Jason Kidd. Another thing that could substitute for a good PG would be a solid big who isn't afraid to bang down low (i.e. not Chris Bosh). However, Cleveland can't afford to wait until 2010 to make a move, because, by that time, LeBron will be so furious with the Cavs' front office for having him for 6 seasons and not getting him any :censored: help, that he's not going to trust them enough to resign.

That last point you made is, wow, a great one.

I never thought about that, obviously, but man that is a great point, as are your others.

Yeah, getting Lebron some help is a pretty well-documented need in the Cavs organization. It's great to see Lebron take over, but they have to feel badly when he doesn't even have enough faith in his teammates to pass them the ball late in the game.

However, from what I've heard, his help will probably come from a trade sooner than free agency. The Cavs are looking to get rid of their expiring contracts: Wally Sczcerbiak (as mentioned), Damon Jones, Eric Snow, etc. I'm saying 93% that they make a trade, 10% that they make a big dent in free agency.

Yeah, getting Lebron some help is a pretty well-documented need in the Cavs organization. It's great to see Lebron take over, but they have to feel badly when he doesn't even have enough faith in his teammates to pass them the ball late in the game.

However, from what I've heard, his help will probably come from a trade sooner than free agency. The Cavs are looking to get rid of their expiring contracts: Wally Sczcerbiak (as mentioned), Damon Jones, Eric Snow, etc. I'm saying 93% that they make a trade, 10% that they make a big dent in free agency.

He actually gets his teamates the ball more than people think, such as when Delonte West made the game winning three pointer against Washington in the Playoffs. LeBron draws double teams 9 times outta 10, which always leaves one person open for him to pass to, which is what he likes to do. You're right though sometimes he doesn't.

And I'd love to see them trade away a few of their expiring contracts, and cash in big in free agency if it is at all possible.

He actually gets his teamates the ball more than people think, such as when Delonte West made the game winning three pointer against Washington in the Playoffs. LeBron draws double teams 9 times outta 10, which always leaves one person open for him to pass to, which is what he likes to do. You're right though sometimes he doesn't.

And I'd love to see them trade away a few of their expiring contracts, and cash in big in free agency if it is at all possible.

Unfortunately, that's not an option because any GM worth his salt would want to send out the same amount he's getting in for cap purposes. So, unless you were thinking something along the lines of Big Z for, say, Andre Brown, they won't be able to immediately clear salary via a trade. Their best bet would be to work out a deal where they move up in the draft, which might be possible seeing as how the Knicks (#6) and the Bobcats (#9) are both willing to give up their picks for the right price. I'd say New York would be the most likely partner because, as we all saw during his tenure with the Pacers, he's not big on keeping his picks (1998 to 2007, he traded away 8 picks). Also, Mike D'Antoni doesn't care much for keeping his picks, as well (see Kurt Thomas trade).

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis of the Warriors and Elton Brand of the Clippers have also opted out of their contracts, becoming UFAs. However, Washington did lock up Antawn Jamison today in hopes that Arenas will be impressed with the move and re-sign with them.

Here's a list of free agent activity from ESPN.com: 2008 Free Agents

6uXNWAo.png

This doesn't have much to do with free agency, but more of David Stern once again trying his damndest to clean up the image of his referees.

Link.

A retired 2-star general. Really?

Aside from Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis of the Warriors and Elton Brand of the Clippers have also opted out of their contracts, becoming UFAs. However, Washington did lock up Antawn Jamison today in hopes that Arenas will be impressed with the move and re-sign with them.

Here's a list of free agent activity from ESPN.com: 2008 Free Agents

After reading through that, I have one question...

Lindsey Hunter is seriously still in the league?!? Unless he's just on the roster and doesn't play, kinda like Keith Van Horn.

Jose Calderon announced that he has re-signed with the Raptors on his website today. Good on Colangelo on getting him locked up before anyone else can make a big offer to force them to match.

I'd love it if they sign Jamaal Magloire to backup O'Neal next.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

ESPN is reporting that it's a done deal.

So yeah, the Baron's back home in Hollywood, except it's for the Clippers. The Clips are now relevant.

Ehh, not so fast. The Clip Joint is in the process of losing Elton Brand.

6uXNWAo.png

So yeah, the Baron's back home in Hollywood, except it's for the Clippers. The Clips are now relevant.

But than again he did say he would stay if they signed Davis. Both great friends, played together at UCLA, but it depends if he takes a pay cut.

Brent Barry opts out (Spurs), Beno Udrih opts to stay (Kings), Ron Artest regrets his decision to stay (Kings), and Chris Paul is planning on striking a long-term deal (Hornets).

More on Arenas, he received a more-than-impressive offer from the Wizards and plans to cash that in rather than returning to Golden State on a slightly less lucrative deal.

Apparently, the Spurs are in the lead to sign Corey Maggette to a max mid-level deal. The Warriors, Clippers, and Magic are also in the running.

As well, both the Warriors and Wizards are offering mac offers to Arenas; and considering Davis' exit, I expect this to be one heck of a bidding war.

GR30a5H.png

But than again he did say he would stay if they signed Davis. Both great friends, played together at UCLA, but it depends if he takes a pay cut.

First off, Elton Brand was a Dukie.

Next, I won't buy into Brand staying with the Clips until the ink dries on a new contract. If he really wanted to remain a Clipper, he wouldn't have opted out in the first place. He's been on the shelf and has nothing to gain as far as dollars go. Eventhough signs may point to him staying, I wouldn't be shocked if Brand pulls a Carlos Boozer and jumps ship once a better offer comes along. I know if I were him, I would!

6uXNWAo.png

Archived