2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading in the paper today that Malkin would sign a contract similar to Crosby, which I believe is either just over 8mill or just under 8mill. Personally I would rather have a 21 year old Malkin for 8 than a close to 30 Hossa. But Cammalarie(sp) is a good player who along with a top d prospect could be good for the Pens.

And Dave Nonis is once again working under Brian Burke, my guess is he will learn the team this year then take over once big Brian finally joins the Maple Leafs.

I don't know what to think about this... I think the price was a little high to get just his rights, but if we could sign him for a decent price then I believe it will be more than worth it. I guess this is a sign that Tucker has been replaced by someone a little younger... I just don't know if we drafted someone with that pick that it would have been better... only time will tell.

EDIT: On second thought... a career -78... only twice was he a + during the season... damnit...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I don't know what to think about this... I think the price was a little high to get just his rights, but if we could sign him for a decent price then I believe it will be more than worth it. I guess this is a sign that Tucker has been replaced by someone a little younger... I just don't know if we drafted someone with that pick that it would have been better... only time will tell.

EDIT: On second thought... a career -78... only twice was he a + during the season... damnit...

He's got two more years left on his contract at $1.3 million. We have him until 2010.

untitled-6.jpg

He's got two more years left on his contract at $1.3 million. We have him until 2010.

Sportsnet originally reported that we got his rights, not that we got him under contract, but I have since realised they got it wrong, lol.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Pens shopping Malkin to Kings?

The Penguins are trying to make a blockbuster move before tomorrow night's NHL draft at Scotiabank Place.

League sources say Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero offered all-star centre Evgeni Malkin to the Kings for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and a player, possibly centre Mike Cammalleri.

While many NHL executives refused to believe the Penguins would trade the 21-year-old Malkin because he has one year left on his entry-level contract at a bargain $984,000 (all terms US), the indications are that Shero wants to sign winger Marian Hossa before he becomes an unrestricted free agent -- a deal that could cost Pittsburgh upward of $8 million a year.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft...923271-sun.html

That's it? That's a helluva lot less than the Kopitar/Johnson being bandied about before. Not worth it.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241168&lid...s=headlines_nhl

"You guys make up more stuff than I can ever imagine," Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray told reporters on Thursday. "I heard a rumour last night that Pittsburgh was moving one of their star players. I talked to their manager today to see if I could be included in the discussions and they kind of laughed at me."

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

"You guys make up more stuff than I can ever imagine," Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray told reporters on Thursday. "I heard a rumour last night that Pittsburgh was moving one of their star players. I talked to their manager today to see if I could be included in the discussions and they kind of laughed at me."

That basically confirmed my notion that Spezza will be traded, who else would Ottawa even mention in a trade for Malkin.

Bye bye Spezza, I'll miss putting the blame on you, and your no look back-passes. Though I'm sure he'll become an elite player.

Hi, how are you?

Doesn't Murray get laughs a lot...?

Blues have acquired G Chris Mason from the Predators for a 4th round draft pick.

They now have a very solid combo in net with Legace and Mason.

I got mixed feeling about this trade

Pro:

Got rid of salary

Con:

A trade within the division which is a bad thing imo because the "Come back and haunt you" factor.

Thrashers hire John Anderson as head coach.

For those that don't know, Anderson was the coach of the Chicago Wolves, the Thrashers "affiliate" (those that know the connection between the Thrashers and Wolves will get the use of quotations) in the AHL that just won the league title this past season.

Positives: He knows a lot of the young players on the team and they know his system.

Negatives: He's coached as many NHL games as I have....

Good to see the Thrashers putting their AHL "affy" to use. :rolleyes:

Blues have acquired G Chris Mason from the Predators for a 4th round draft pick.

Pro:

Got rid of salary

Con:

A trade within the division which is a bad thing imo because the "Come back and haunt you" factor.

Frankly, I don't think having Chris Mason in net for a division mate is anything to worry about.

RUMOR: Alex Tanguay to the Canadiens for the 25th overall pick.

RUMOR: Calgary gets Mike Cammaleri, Los Angeles gets 12th overall pick and Anaheim gets 17th and 28th overall picks.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Tanguay goes to the Habs along with a 5th round pick for the Habs 1st round pick of 2008 and 2nd round pick of 2009.

Excellent!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Pro:

Got rid of salary

Con:

I like it for the Blues because Manny will need his days off, and an off year or not, Mason is a reliable goalie.

He is being paid a lot for a backup, though.

But that's why it's good for the Preds. They dumped that salary, and while I'm not an expert on your minor leagues, it sounds like you've got a prospect goalie that may get his chance to stick in the NHL backing up Ellis.

Archived