2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

Wang will make sure that Cashin Yashin will be back in an Isles uni next year, to the detriment of the league.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh... make way for another year of even more "Brian Burke to Toronto" talk with the Leafs recent hiring of the Al Coates (who spent the last 6 seasons with the Ducks) as director of player personnel.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240851&amp...s=topStory_main

TORONTO - The Toronto Maple Leafs hired Al Coates as their player-personnel director Monday.

The move will serve to further fuel speculation that Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke will become the Leafs' GM once his deal with the Ducks expires next summer. Coates comes to Toronto after spending the previous six seasons with Anaheim.

Last week, the Leafs hired Ron Wilson as their new head coach. Burke and Wilson played together at Providence.

''We look forward to Al becoming a valuable part of the Maple Leafs management team,'' interim Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher said in a statement. ''He brings a wealth of managerial and scouting expertise to our hockey club, which will be important as we look to strengthen the organization's depth in the coming seasons.''

Coates has spent more than 30 years in pro hockey and has been part of two Stanley Cup-winning teams ('07 with Anaheim and '89 with Calgary).

A native of Listowel, Ont., Coates began his pro hockey management career with Detroit in 1971 before joining Fletcher and Calgary's inaugural staff following the '79-'80 season. Coates spent 20 years in the Flames organization, working in several capacities, including director of hockey administration and assistant to the GM before becoming the club's executive vice-president, general manager and alternate governor from 1995 to 2000.

Coates then spent three seasons with the New York Rangers (2000 to '03), overseeing the team and business operation of the Rangers' American Hockey League affiliate in Hartford.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

An award I would like to see is a "comeback player of the year" or "most improved" which I think would be great to award those who had some down years and brought their game back up to their old level or surpassed it. Like Chris Osgood would have won it had the award existed. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here.

I'd rather see them bring in the Bobby Orr Award for the defencemen whom leads in scoring, that way the Norris can get back to it's true meaning which is just straight up best defencemen, and has nothing to do with points.

untitled-6.jpg

An award I would like to see is a "comeback player of the year" or "most improved" which I think would be great to award those who had some down years and brought their game back up to their old level or surpassed it. Like Chris Osgood would have won it had the award existed. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here.

I'd rather see them bring in the Bobby Orr Award for the defencemen whom leads in scoring, that way the Norris can get back to it's true meaning which is just straight up best defencemen, and has nothing to do with points.

They also need a top executive award, like the NBA.

Thrashers re-sign Johan Hedberg (G) to multi-year deal.

Good move, he's a dependable goalie who's ready at a moment's notice. If Kari Lehtonen doesn't get re-signed, Moose will be able to tutor Ondrej Pavelec, who I think is ready to be an NHL goalie.....

I remember watching Hedberg when he played for Manitoba back in the IHL. He was a great goalie for the Moose, and it was always nice seeing a goalie get mad at his defensemen for not picking up their assignments, and get mad at himself when he let in a soft goal. I like goalers who show some emotion, and Winnipeg hadn't seen that kind of thing since Khabibulin.

Good for him. Always liked him, and I'm glad to see him doing well in the Show.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Sigh... make way for another year of even more "Brian Burke to Toronto" talk with the Leafs recent hiring of the Al Coates (who spent the last 6 seasons with the Ducks) as director of player personnel.

It's like you read my mind.

You know I heard that on Cliff's desk is a name plate that says "Brian Burke", lol.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Igor Larionov and Glenn Anderson the players elected to the HHOF today, im a bit disappointed Adam Oates didnt make it, any other disappointments or is it just the fact that its kind of a lackluster class this year?

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Igor Larionov and Glenn Anderson the players elected to the HHOF today, im a bit disappointed Adam Oates didnt make it, any other disappointments or is it just the fact that its kind of a lackluster class this year?

Wow. How the heck did Pavel Bure get passed up here? Or even Dino Ciccarelli?

dale hunter was once again snubbed, one wonders if theyre friends with pierre turgeon? :D

Wow. How the heck did Pavel Bure get passed up here? Or even Dino Ciccarelli?

Two of my favourite players I loved watching the Russian Rocket, I don't remember Ciccarelli in his prime though. :P

I constantly wonder if my current Sens have what it takes to make it in there one day. (Not trying to start anything BTW, I figure we'll get the usual "joke" from Neon & Co. :P )

Hi, how are you?

Rumor of Ryan Malone to Columbus....

Ryan's agent told Columbus they are better off not pursuing his rights from Pittsburgh.

No matter what happens Ryan wants to play the open market.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 minor rule changes made today at the BOG meeting.

-After a penalty is called the ensuing faceoff will take place in the offending teams zone.

-A shot off the post or crossbar that goes out of play will result in a faceoff that takes place inside the zone.

-Unnecessary contact on a icing race could result in a penalty.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241045&amp...s=headlines_nhl

-After a penalty is called the ensuing faceoff will take place in the offending teams zone.

-A shot off the post or crossbar that goes out of play will result in a faceoff that takes place inside the zone.

Why must the NHL change and add rules on a regular basis?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Why would they make that rule? Shuouldnt unnesicary contact be called for a penalty anyways? If its hooking or holding or something, they should call it whether its an icing race or not, not have a special rule for it. Same for late hits after the whistle. Its sort of a redundant rule that can end up in more crappy calls.

Unless they refer to hits into the boards after/when the puck is touched.

As far as the crossbar rule, I think its ok. The faceoff rule I dont particularly care for, or about. I understand how it helps deterr penalties, I guess, but I dont see the huge reason behind changing it. It wouldve been just as good as it was.

oBIgzrL.png

Why must the NHL change and add rules on a regular basis?

If the rule changes are better for the game, why would you be opposed to them?

I agree with the first one. If you take a penalty the faceoff should be in your defensive zone. If you do not want a faceoff in your own zone, do not take a penalty.

The second one is the only one I disagree with; if you (an offensive player) shoot the puck off of the post or crossbar and it goes out of play (it is your fault the puck went out of play) the faceoff should be outside the zone.

The third rule will prevent injuries.

Archived