2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

To get McCabe out here would be great to have him with Phaneuf that would be a dream Defensive Pair but we would have to move some guys around.

Current Depth Chart in my mind

Cammalleri-Langkow-Iginla

Nystrom-Lombardi-Bertuzzi

Bourque-Conroy-Moss

Glencross-Primeau-Boyd

Sarich-Phaneuf

Regehr-Giordano

Aucoin-Vandermeer

Bench

Greentree

Nilson

Eriksson

Warrener

And i don't think Gio would like the bench again

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the Calgary Herald, the Flames aren't finishing making moves and could be looking for a scoring winger and a puck-moving defenseman.

The Flames tried to sign veteran Wade Redden, but he decided to join the New York Rangers last week.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have been trying to move defenseman Bryan McCabe, who has a no-movement clause, and the Herald reports the Flames may be a potential suitor.

McCabe, 33, would have to waive his no-movement clause in order for any trade to be accepted.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cgy080707.html

THANK GOD SOMEONE WANTS HIM!

As long as we get Leeland Irving back in a potential trade (I want a Leafs jersey with my last name on it and not be a total douche bag in doing so) I'm content.

Irving's been freefalling in the prospect rankings over the past few years. I'm sure he can be had, and cheaply.

He was just drafted the previous year and was still pretty high. The only knock is that he lost out gaining a spot on the World Juniors this year when he was supposed to be the starter.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Bertuzzi is a Calgary Flame.

-Dan

I'm disappointed with this signing.

If anything, this deal brings the sumb*tch back to the Northwest Division where nobody has forgotten. I'm not even sure if Vancouver fans even like the guy still.

I still have a soft for the guy who I cheered for and idolized as a 10 year old, but that player is long gone and Bertuzzi is a has been. Many people dislike him in the city but thats only because of how he played the year after the lockout, even though they should dislike him because of the Steve Moore thing.

To get McCabe out here would be great to have him with Phaneuf that would be a dream Defensive Pair but we would have to move some guys around.

Bourque-Conroy-Moss

Glencross-Primeau-Boyd

Sarich-Phaneuf

Regehr-Giordano

Aucoin-Vandermeer

Bench

Greentree

Nilson

Eriksson

Warrener

Nilson, Warrener and Eriksson were all bought out and are free agents.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

McCabe on a "dream defensive pair"? Damn, thats pretty much a first. I'd feel verrrry sorry for Dion Phaneuf like I do for Tomas Kaberle.

Wade-sig.png

McCabe on a "dream defensive pair"? Damn, thats pretty much a first. I'd feel verrrry sorry for Dion Phaneuf like I do for Tomas Kaberle.

Don't forget Brian "soon to be a first ballot Hockey Hall of Famer" Leetch called him "the best defense-man" he has ever played with after his short stint with the Leafs. He has been/can be good, it just depends on who is paired beside him, he seems to do well with a defensive defense-man on his wing but people only like to give him offensive players.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Don't forget Brian "soon to be a first ballot Hockey Hall of Famer" Leetch called him "the best defense-man" he has ever played with after his short stint with the Leafs. He has been/can be good, it just depends on who is paired beside him, he seems to do well with a defensive defense-man on his wing but people only like to give him offensive players.

The only other defensive partner Brian Leetch ever had for any long period of time was pretty much Jeff Beukeboom. To me, it doesn't really say much when he's making a comparison of only two players (other defencemen Leetch has played with are quite insignificant, really).

Wade-sig.png

Bourque-Conroy-Moss

Glencross-Primeau-Boyd

Sarich-Phaneuf

Regehr-Giordano

Aucoin-Vandermeer

Bench

Greentree

Nilson

Eriksson

Warrener

Nilson, Warrener and Eriksson were all bought out and are free agents.

There all still on the roster

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Smith is a Senator.

Thats an intresting pick up for them i think.IMO Im not sure if hes a top 2 d-man,but he is a huge hitter and he is a leader

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Smith is a Senator.

Thats an intresting pick up for them i think.IMO Im not sure if hes a top 2 d-man,but he is a huge hitter and he is a leader

I'm a Jason Smith fan so I'm glad we have him it's just I don't know if he's what we need.

Hi, how are you?

One week after the Vancouver Canucks signed restricted free agent forward David Backes to an offer sheet, the St. Louis Blues have struck back.

The Blues signed Group II free agent forward Steve Bernier to an offer sheet worth $2.5 million for next season, which the Canucks have seven days to match. If they don't, Vancouver receives St. Louis' second round draft choice in 2009.

Bernier, 23, was acquired by Vancouver from Buffalo in a trade last week in exchange for a second round draft choice in 2010 and a third round draft choice in 2009. The 6-2, 225-pound right winger played for San Jose and Buffalo last season, totaling 32 points along with 64 penalty minutes. Bernier has played in a total of 177 NHL contests, amassing 90 points and 128 penalty minutes.

The Quebec City, Quebec native was originally drafted by San Jose in the first round, 16th overall in the 2003 Entry Draft.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242851&lid...os=topStory_nhl

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

One week after the Vancouver Canucks signed restricted free agent forward David Backes to an offer sheet, the St. Louis Blues have struck back.

The Blues signed Group II free agent forward Steve Bernier to an offer sheet worth $2.5 million for next season, which the Canucks have seven days to match. If they don't, Vancouver receives St. Louis' second round draft choice in 2009.

Bernier, 23, was acquired by Vancouver from Buffalo in a trade last week in exchange for a second round draft choice in 2010 and a third round draft choice in 2009. The 6-2, 225-pound right winger played for San Jose and Buffalo last season, totaling 32 points along with 64 penalty minutes. Bernier has played in a total of 177 NHL contests, amassing 90 points and 128 penalty minutes.

The Quebec City, Quebec native was originally drafted by San Jose in the first round, 16th overall in the 2003 Entry Draft.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242851&lid...os=topStory_nhl

That will get matched very quickly.

Smith is a Senator.

I'm a Jason Smith fan so I'm glad we have him it's just I don't know if he's what we need.

Well the Senators needed some help on the blueline and getting the best Defensemen still available as a UFA at a relatively easy cap hit isn't a bad pick up!

Smith is #2 behind Volchenkov in blocked shots since the lockout. With A-Train and Smith on two different pairings Gerber and Auld will have a bit of help in the goaltending department.

Smith will also be a good mentor for Lee and Meszaros and a quality guy in the dressing room which fits nicely into Murray's plan of stabilizing the dressing room.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Smith is a Senator.

Well the Senators needed some help on the blueline and getting the best Defensemen still available as a UFA at a relatively easy cap hit isn't a bad pick up!

Smith is #2 behind Volchenkov in blocked shots since the lockout. With A-Train and Smith on two different pairings Gerber and Auld will have a bit of help in the goaltending department.

Smith will also be a good mentor for Lee and Meszaros and a quality guy in the dressing room which fits nicely into Murray's plan of stabilizing the dressing room.

What I understood was that Ottawa wanted a mobile, offensive D-man.

Don't get me wrong I love that he is a Senator, it's just I thought they wanted a speedy guy.

Hi, how are you?

I am kind of surprised Nieuwendyk came to work for the Leafs after they tried to short change him after the lockout. I think this is a great move as it appears we are grooming him to either be the successor to Fletcher should we not be able to land a 'veteran' GM. If he is not being groomed to be the next GM, then I can see him being our next team president. Peddie should not leave MLSE but he should just live with all his other accomplishments (turning around a fledging NBA team, selling real estate, bringing a VERY popular MLS team to the city, etc) and step back from hockey and let those who know the game run it.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Bertuzzi is a Calgary Flame.

-Dan

Wooooo so pumped he makes up for what Nolan did

Nolan punched somebody from behind?

No they play a similar style of game but Bertuzzi is more of a Power Forward and can score more also can play both wings, i think Minnesota spent to much on Nolan we were offering him 2 years/ 2 or 3 million i think.

Bert's not much of a power forward anymore. And hasn't been for years. He's got a bad back, concussion problems, and more baggage than Air Canada's lost luggage depot. I'm kind of shocked he'd come back to the Northwest where he'll eventually have to play in Vancouver.

Archived