Trojans Logos

rtrich11

I had done a similar logo set in 2001, and although I was happy with it

at the time, upon hindsight it looked like crap. So 7 years later I

cleaned it up and it exists in this form now.

Anderson is the name of my former high school, and since they share the

Trojans moniker with USC, I went ahead and did them, too. The element

that may have some question to me is the wordmark. Because the head is

flying in at that angle (that is a cape, by the way), not all wordmarks

feel right.

I may try flopping the head later and going for a different wordmark

altogether, but thought I'd see the response to this first.

Trojans_Richards2008.jpg

I had done a similar logo set in 2001, and although I was happy with it

at the time, upon hindsight it looked like crap. So 7 years later I

cleaned it up and it exists in this form now.

Anderson is the name of my former high school, and since they share the

Trojans moniker with USC, I went ahead and did them, too. The element

that may have some question to me is the wordmark. Because the head is

flying in at that angle (that is a cape, by the way), not all wordmarks

feel right.

I may try flopping the head later and going for a different wordmark

altogether, but thought I'd see the response to this first.

Trojans_Richards2008.jpg

I really like those.. A LOT.

Sure, the perspective between the head and the script may be slighty (very slightly) off, but it works, especially with the USC, as opposed to the full wordmark.

Surprisingly, while I have always been a huge fan of symetry in logos (to a fault), my favourite element is that randomly shaped cape.

Great Work...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Nice work. I'd say the trojan should be facing right instead of left though. Also, the asymmetrical slant on the workmark bothers me. It kind of works with the logo, but if you ever had the wordmark by itself it would not look good IMO.

I really like this. Everything is well rendered, and like others have said the cape polishes it off. I think someone also said the angle on the face seems a bit off, but it still looks fantastic either way. Very nice job.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Reasons why it doesn't work for me. #1 You have the right shoulder round and the left one flat. The white space on the left shoulder, why? It doesn't need to be there. The feathers or whatever it is on the top of the helmet, in the back need to be more rounded. Then there's the wordmark. You have nice round shapes in your trojan, and then this very squared type which fights with it. If you were to angle the letters they'd be a lot more compatible. And then to further complicate the problem you have the beveled letters in a bright yellow and white combination. Two light colors next to each other washes them both out, which then led me to notice that there are no highlights or shadows on the helmet, making it appear flat.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. If you were to see the 2001 version of it, I wouldn't have heard the positives.

I do want to improve the wordmark, but I wanted further clarification on this particular point Oddball makes.

... Then there's the wordmark. You have nice round shapes in your trojan, and then this very squared type which fights with it. If you were to angle the letters they'd be a lot more compatible.

Which direction are you thinking?

Reasons why it doesn't work for me. #1 You have the right shoulder round and the left one flat. The white space on the left shoulder, why? It doesn't need to be there. The feathers or whatever it is on the top of the helmet, in the back need to be more rounded. Then there's the wordmark. You have nice round shapes in your trojan, and then this very squared type which fights with it. If you were to angle the letters they'd be a lot more compatible. And then to further complicate the problem you have the beveled letters in a bright yellow and white combination. Two light colors next to each other washes them both out, which then led me to notice that there are no highlights or shadows on the helmet, making it appear flat.

I think it works pretty darn well the way it currently is, however, as the above-quoted critique states, a few modifications could make this very strong. The angled letters don't bother me though. I think they fit well within the shape containing them. I agree about the bevel on the letters. Instead of white highlights, maybe (if it won't be too busy) you could experiment using some maroon shadows. The helmet "feathers" don't bother me too much, but a little more shading in the helmet itself could be nice. I think the white block on the shoulder is what attaches the cape (and perspective is why it can't be seen on the other shoulder), but I agree that it isn't necessary and wouldn't be missed if it were eliminated.

All in all, great job! It's a logo I wish I had thought of.

Trojans_Richards2008b.jpg

This is an update working mainly on the wordmark. Just wanted to try something different-quite different. The only bonus is that they look better independently than in the last version.

I did play around with putting depth on the helmet and it all looked bad-and believe me, I tried it. I went for the minimalist approach there.

Worth continuing on this path? Hmmm?

Hobogrish, I usually take great care in trying to be as authentic as possible with my logo characters. However, this time I went to the overly-Westernized, sports-logo-accepted version as kind of an update to a typical USC/MSU graphic. If I were to introduce a sword or shield into the mix, I'd definitely go more accurate.

After I get more feedback I'll show this graphic on a football helmet. Edit: Here it is.

TrojansHelmetRichards.jpg

Archived