Goodell says rookie contracts out of control

I'm glad hes looking at this. I would like to see something like the NBA has in place with slotted contracts for the NFL too.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

The thing is, are they really that out of line (at least for the top picks?)

Think about how much money a top draft pick makes for a team - in jersey sales, immediate season-ticket sales, marketing, etc. It is very conceivable that a top 5 or even 10 pick generates more money for a franchise than a proven above-average veteran player, and even if the draft pick sucks, the team already cashed in.

If they are going to be the "new face of the organization" (V. Young, Matt Ryan, Reggie Bush, etc.) then they are entitled to pay that is not necessarily in-line with their on-field performance. It kind of sucks, but that's the way business works.

Of course then you get the argument that the top picks that are linemen are not as marketable and don't generate that much revenue (though they may in fact be awesome players who are deserving of the top slot) and that skill-position players drafted after them actually deserve to earn more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Think about how much money a top draft pick makes for a team - in jersey sales, immediate season-ticket sales, marketing, etc. It is very conceivable that a top 5 or even 10 pick generates more money for a franchise than a proven above-average veteran player, and even if the draft pick sucks, the team already cashed in.

If they are going to be the "new face of the organization" (V. Young, Matt Ryan, Reggie Bush, etc.) then they are entitled to pay that is not necessarily in-line with their on-field performance. It kind of sucks, but that's the way business works.

Of course then you get the argument that the top picks that are linemen are not as marketable and don't generate that much revenue (though they may in fact be awesome players who are deserving of the top slot) and that skill-position players drafted after them actually deserve to earn more.

However while all of that is true but on the other hand you also have the distinct possibility the top skill position picks turn out to be a bust say like Ryan Leaf or a Tim Couch where the team has invested much in the player and it ends up setting the team back.

Plus they are owners and want to save money any which way they can.

So far based on what is coming out of the NFL's mouth it looks like they may be heading toward a labor war down the future. However there is still time for cooler heads prevail.

All rookies deserve league MINIMUM and no guaranteed contracts in all sports! They haven't done anything at all. Maybe with certain performances clauses they can earn more and then after year three sign a new contract. If he was a real commissioner he'd turn to the vets to turn on the union and mandate that all rookies get league minimum and no more. Stop look, do something. It doesn't take a brain child to figure out rookie salaries are out of control, do something about Goodell, otherwise you're no different than the talking heads in the other three sports who look at things and do nothing about what needs to be fixed.

This has been an unfair problem for years, and it's very refreshing to see the Commish speak out on it and attempt address the situation.

If successful, it would totally make up for Goodell's mishandling of Spygate.

6uXNWAo.png

However while all of that is true but on the other hand you also have the distinct possibility the top skill position picks turn out to be a bust say like Ryan Leaf or a Tim Couch where the team has invested much in the player and it ends up setting the team back.

Plus they are owners and want to save money any which way they can.

So far based on what is coming out of the NFL's mouth it looks like they may be heading toward a labor war down the future. However there is still time for cooler heads prevail.

So, is this just the NFL trying to protect the owners from themselves? Perhaps if the owners were to, say, not shell out these huge contracts, then perhaps this wouldn't be an issue. Although, I would also contend that thanks to the NFL's policy of drafting those players who finished at least their Junior Year of college, that maybe said players have done something to prove themselves.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Although, I would also contend that thanks to the NFL's policy of drafting those players who finished at least their Junior Year of college, that maybe said players have done something to prove themselves.

All they have proven is that they can play college ball. I don't think lining up against San Diego State or Bowling Green is quite the same as lining up against Jacksonville or The Giants. Even the mighty SEC is nothing like NFL football. Doesn't the NBA have some sort of rookie salary structure? I think that is what the NFL may be working towards. There may be labor strife down the road but this issue won't be a big reason for it. Veterans aren't going to stop getting paid and go on strike simply to help rookies take more money out of their pockets. If "first round pick guy" doesn't tie up a :censored:-load of cap money then "8 year veteran guy" may not have to restructure his contract to keep his job. I don't see the NFLPA having too much trouble with this issue. They may rattle their sabers a little over it but it will not be anywhere near a deal buster.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Does this mean we will be seeing scab games again?

Don't be surprised if you see it happen. The NFL's slowly but surely taking an NHL-like approach with its player union, which is a recipe for precisely that type of scenario.

Personally I like Roger (he's a nice guy if you ever get the honor of meeting him in person) and what he's trying to do. I'd actually be in favor of a partial contract guarantee in contracts (maybe 10%) if that amount wouldn't be held against the salary cap in case of a player being placed on IR. But if the numbers he and the owners are claiming are accurate, they've given away more of the store than they'd planned and now want to reel the players back into their post-1987 strike line. Sadly, I don't see that happening so easily this time around.

nav-logo.png

Archived