Colorado Rockies New Look

clutch

Try a different 'C' for the cap. I could see purple and gold going together, but I really think you need a 3rd color, probably black. I know you eliminated it, and probably for good reason, but put it back in and see how it looks.

I like the idea of gold, but I would have liked to see you stay with silver and make the color more prominent in the team's design scheme. Also, the "C" that you used just doesn't mix well with the rest of the set, IMHO.

gYH2mW9.png

Really?

An outline on their existing logo, and a generic copperplate wordmark?

Really?

I have to agree here, these jerseys look terribly half-@$$ed. Copperplate really should never be used in a concept like this, especially since if you go to your nearest town and look around, half of the stores have copperplate on the windows and signs. The gold doesn't really do it for me, especially since when looking at the jerseys from a distance no gold would be visible. The piping, while it might look good paired with better wordmarks, is pretty obvious. Lastly, the cap logo is not needed for a more modern team like the Rockies, and it doesn't match the rest of the concept at all. Sorry, but this isn't the greatest Rockies concept.

You took an overused font (two of them) and replaced the existing custom Rockies font...and changed a color. Gotta put some effort into a concept and make it seem like a logical change before you'll get great comments on work from this site.

This works for a traveling dixie youth team at best.

Really?

Really?

You took an overused font (two of them) and replaced the existing custom Rockies font...and changed a color. Gotta put some effort into a concept and make it seem like a logical change before you'll get great comments on work from this site.

I really don't see the point in trying to put down a guy that wants some advice on his work. Did he use a generic font? Yes he did. Is is mostly a recolor job? Yes it is. But all the guy wants is some advice on how to get better. Verbally abusing his work is not the way to do it. Especially you ColaCock. Every time I see you on this message board you are talking down on someone that is not quite as good as you. Yet when I see your work, it's sub-par at best. I don't care if it's custom or not, it sucks, but yet you try to make yourself feel better about your own crappy designs by talking badly about everyone else's stuff. If you spent more time working on your Illustrator skills and not on here looking for someone to put down, you might actually be pretty good.

As for you Clutch, PM me and I will be happy to help you turn your concept into what you want it to be. Don't let these jerks keep you from doing more. There are enough people on here that will help you get better.

Really?

Really?

I really don't see the point in trying to put down a guy that wants some advice on his work. Did he use a generic font? Yes he did. Is is mostly a recolor job? Yes it is. But all the guy wants is some advice on how to get better. Verbally abusing his work is not the way to do it. Especially you ColaCock. Every time I see you on this message board you are talking down on someone that is not quite as good as you. Yet when I see your work, it's sub-par at best. I don't care if it's custom or not, it sucks, but yet you try to make yourself feel better about your own crappy designs by talking badly about everyone else's stuff. If you spent more time working on your Illustrator skills and not on here looking for someone to put down, you might actually be pretty good.

I didn't see him asking for any advice.

And I am sorry, but you just don't get it. If someone is a new member to this site, I would think the proper thing to do is to look around the site for a few hours, maybe even lurk a few days...see what goes, what kind of work is shown, what is looked down upon, and what is praised. My comments have NOTHING to do with the type of program he did the work in or anything...MS Paint or even a scanned hand drawn sketch for all I care...as long as it appears some effort and thought was put into the design.

I don't come to this board to get some kind of rush out of posting negative comments on concepts or bashing anyone- I call them like I see them.

If someone knows how to work MS Paint, they could literally bust out 100 of these type of concepts in a days time...a few copy and pastes and scrolling through some fonts to choose a different one.

At any rate, I will continue to call them like I see them and expect the same whenever I post my work. Fortunately, I could care less what you think of my work because it obviously carries no value to me. You've been on this board all of a month, I can only hope that you either get better or that I learn to avoid your threads.

Just because I have been on here since May does not mean May is when I started doing designs. I call them like I see them too, and when I first started posting concepts you were always negative and rude. Never offering any advice, just being a jerk with every new post. If you see a guy that needs help, then HELP HIM. He will not get any better because of people like you. So instead of just avoiding my threads, just avoid them all because websites like this were designed for people that want to post their work and get advice on how to make them better. If that is not what you are here for then why comment in the first place? just telling him it's wrong doesn't work. Telling him and showing him how to fix it is what works. If you don't like his stuff, offer advice on how to make it better or just shut up all together.

I think the idea is solid but the execution could be much better. As has been noted the chosen font is kinda blah, if you don't have a wide selection try www.dafont.com or search google for free fonts.

I don't mind that it is just a recoloring otherwise as I think the Rockies need very little other than recoloring. As jay noted the gold can get washed out, I think the reason is you have a vibrant purple and an 'old' gold. When old gold is used as the primary it works think Colorado Buffaloes but if you are going to use gold as an accent use something like what the University of Washington or Colorado State uses. As for needing a third color, I would say change the gold first and see how that goes, and if something is still needed as accent there are several Colorado choices to be had.

However the one true oddity in the set is the cap logo, this just does not work.

Here is what CSU and CU do for their ball caps use these as inspiration:

http://www.collegebaseballshop.com/COLLEGE...een_DH_ZFit_Hat

http://www.collegebaseballshop.com/COLLEGE...ack_DH_ZFit_Hat

Or as an alternative, try replacing the baseball in the primary logo with a C and use that as the Cap logo, not sure how this would look maybe good, maybe like crap but it would be different.

Just because I have been on here since May does not mean May is when I started doing designs. I call them like I see them too, and when I first started posting concepts you were always negative and rude. Never offering any advice, just being a jerk with every new post. If you see a guy that needs help, then HELP HIM. He will not get any better because of people like you. So instead of just avoiding my threads, just avoid them all because websites like this were designed for people that want to post their work and get advice on how to make them better. If that is not what you are here for then why comment in the first place? just telling him it's wrong doesn't work. Telling him and showing him how to fix it is what works. If you don't like his stuff, offer advice on how to make it better or just shut up all together.

JJ, I have seen you reassure new members here a lot lately with positive C+C, which can be good, but sometimes the truth hurts, and that is all ColaCock is doing. Not all C+C is positive, you have to realize that. Sometimes, when people just keep throwing out mediocre stuff, "mean" C+C is the only way for a person to realize that they need to change the way they go about doing concepts.

And I don't really see any point in going after a veteran member here.

JJ, I have seen you reassure new members here a lot lately with positive C+C, which can be good, but sometimes the truth hurts, and that is all ColaCock is doing. Not all C+C is positive, you have to realize that. Sometimes, when people just keep throwing out mediocre stuff, "mean" C+C is the only way for a person to realize that they need to change the way they go about doing concepts.

Except for patsox, he'll just cry and whine and post the same crap over and over again and then eventually leave.

But yeah, I'll agree with elliot here, you do have to be completely honest, but do it in a manner that WILL give a person insight on what they can do to improve their work. If you think a concept is the crappiest thing you've ever seen, tell the person that, but then list ways that he/she can improve it.

Having the right programs isn't all that matters either, we all don't have enough money to go out and buy $300 to $600 software, and some just have to make do with what they have, or with what is available for download online. But what really makes a concept matter is the time and effort put into it. If you work for hours and hours on a concept and the best you can come up with is this, than you should probably get some help from some veteran designers or just give up graphic design (only if you've reached your lowest low and still can't produce well thought and drawn-out work) But if you're spending 10 to 15 minutes on a piece of work, and you hastily throw it together, you're not going to get the praise you desire.

And clutch don't give up now. I've seen a lot of guys pop out one design, get shot down, and then never appear again on these boards. But don't let that happen to you. Take time in your work, put 100% of what you have into designing your concept, and ask yourself at the end "would a professional franchise really wear what I have produced?".

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. So keep at it. Listen to the criticism, but don't get your hopes up.

elliott, I understand and respect what you are saying. I just get angry when someone does that to people, especially a new member. I was wrong to single out ColaCock. If I had a problem with him, I should have sent a PM. But I know what it is like to work hard on something only to have it completely bashed with no guidance on how to improve myself. I feel it is better to say "Look, I don't like the concept and this is why. Here are some ideas on how to make it better. if you have any questions, feel free to contact me." But again, you are right, ColaCock, I'm sorry and I hope we can make peace. Clutch, I am still more than happy to help you out with this.

Archived