Logo Creep

eRay

read and see here

Stephon Marbury has recently gotten his Starbury shoes logo tattooed on the side of his head. Thats right, his shoe 'company' logo on his head, forever. The messed up thing is that the tattoo probably cost Starbury(the guy) more than Starbury(the company, aka Steve & Barrys) is worth. Welcome to the new age of marketing and branding. Anybody else think this guy has more important things to worry about right now? Anyway, I found this interesting because of the talk recently about individual athletes having their own logos, like Hatton, Tiger, and Federer, not to mention the new apprentice challenge in the concept forum.

Speak your minds!

He's not even close to being a star anymore... and watch the Knicks trade him to a team already with a #3 player so he switches numbers. So without the "star" and the "three", the logo ends up being completely meaningless... especially since Steve and Barry's is in financial trouble. I'd point and laugh... but then again, I already did.

Wade-sig.png

Isn't Steve & Barry's in financial trouble?

Steve & Barry's: When Design Can't Save the Day

Posted by: Reena Jana on July 14

Not too long ago, the discount-clothing chain Steve & Barry?s was the center of newspaper style-section stories and glossy fashion-magazine spreads. It was another example of the democratization of design. With super-low prices, trendy dresses, jackets, and other items, and a list of marquee-name celebrity designers (most famously Sarah Jessica Parker, with her Bitten line, created with the retailer), Steve & Barry?s seemed positioned to do extremely well during tough economic times. Its clothes were much cheaper than comparable styles found at popular retailers such as J. Crew. And it had the same type of rotating designer strategy as Target?only with super-high-profile people (such as Venus Williams)with huge, broad fan bases associated with the brand rather than just names familiar to a relatively small band of fashion insders.

Yet Steve & Barry?s is a retail casualty. Design couldn?t save the day for this chain. Aggressive growth, instead, seemed to be the company?s goal?and perhaps its downfall. It?s bankrupt. While growth is what every business strives for, obviously, when is enough enough? Could Steve & Barry?s still be doing well, if it didn?t push for opening nearly 300 stores ? almost ten times the number of stores it had five years ago ? in such a relatively short time? If the company had focused more on design and quality at super-low prices, which seemed to be a priority, instead of the number of stores, perhaps it could have found itself in a different position today. One that would offer cash-strapped consumers fun, well-designed clothing at prices they could afford during the toughest of times, and would allow them to profit from the mass desire for cool apparel at bare-bones prices. Now those customers will be shopping at their competitors? stores instead.

although its weird, in a weird way its not really THAT bad.

Its not Steve & Barry's logo, its HIS logo. No different than Lebron getting the crown logo tattooed on him, MJ getting the jumpman, or any one else getting their logo. I'd go as far to say its not that different than getting a nickname or jersey number tattooed on the body.

Not saying we wouldn't laugh at those examples either, but its not like Lebron getting the swoosh tattooed on him. Its a bit different.

Just my thoughts.

He's not even close to being a star anymore... and watch the Knicks trade him to a team already with a #3 player so he switches numbers. So without the "star" and the "three", the logo ends up being completely meaningless... especially since Steve and Barry's is in financial trouble. I'd point and laugh... but then again, I already did.
Eh, the Knicks'll probably buy him out since they don't want to add any long term contracts right now. Either way, I'll just be glad when he's gone.

Also, w/ the way free agency is, I'm surprised more players don't pick "weird" numbers (or at least less common ones) so they have a really good chance of keeping it when they move teams.

Actually, I thought it sounded worse when PTI was talking about it last night. They didn't have a photo to show, so seeing it, it doesn't look that bad. All else fails, he can just grow his hair in and problem's solved. As far as Steve and Barry's goes, they never should've left the college campuses. All those cheap t-shirts and clothes mean more to the college kid with a credit card than they do to the soccer mom at the local mall.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Well unless he is naturally bald if he does not like the ink after a while he can just grow his hair. Maybe that is why he got it there, if he really felt confident he should have gotten the tattoo in the middle of his forehead a la Charles Manson.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

if he really felt confident he should have gotten the tattoo in the middle of his forehead a la Charles Manson.

Right, that is somebody we should all try to emulate...

I get the point of what your are saying, but Manson?

if he really felt confident he should have gotten the tattoo in the middle of his forehead a la Charles Manson.

Right, that is somebody we should all try to emulate...

I get the point of what your are saying, but Manson?

I couldn't think of anyone else that has one there that everyone would know. Actually I don't know anyone else that has one there like his. Sure there are people that have whole face tats...but not many just have a single one smack dab in the middle of the forehead.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived