Baseball Stadium Concept

RoughRiders9

Photo50.jpg

As you can tell, it's just a drawing right now, but I'm building it in illustrator right now. Let me tell you the dimensions of the ballpark...

LF: 335

LCF: 360

CF: 400

Deepest Part: 410

RCF: 360

Just to the right of RF: 335

RF: 315

Just behind the centerfield wall, there will be a cornfield and the bullpens. When the home relievers come into the game, he will appear onto the field from the cornfield, just like they did in Field of Dreams. The stadium will hold about 30-35 thousand people. There will be only two decks, similar to PNC Park (the stadium i based it on). There will be a resturant and the scoreboard in left field. There will be a barn that will serve as a bar during the game in LCF, owned by one of the players, lol. The right field fence will be similar to PNC Park; manual scoreboard and some seating on top of it. The rest of the walls will be about 7-8 feet high, which will be great for robbing home runs. There might be a skywalk connecting the stadium to an Arena (for hockey/basketball) just behind Centerfield. The parking shouldn't be a problem, because there's two or three garages nearby and garages all over the city of Des Moines and they can just skywalk their way over to the stadium.

By the way, this stadium will be for the team that I created here in this thread: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...mp;#entry963466

Here is the site where I will build the stadium, right on the parking lot....

ProposedBallparkSite.png

IowaOaks.png

I like the idea of using a real city block, as it makes for a much more interesting design without having contrived corners (like, oh, every new stadium this side of Camden Yards). That said RF and RCF is way too shallow, I'd love to see something going closer up to the street to really force the sense of space. Also, the cornfield thing is pretty cheesy. Overall nice drawing though.

I believe the cornfield in an unique idea for this area, now if the Tampa Rays had cornfield just past centerfield we would have a problem, but for a team in Des Moines it works great!

Cant wait to see the finished product.

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

Proposed-Ballpark-Site.jpg

Okay, here's the final product. I might still do some more tweaks to it. The two red square in centerfield are barns. The darker one is open to the public as a bar. The lighter red is the shed/barn where the ground crew keep their equipment. The big green block in LF is a restaurant. The pattern in centerfield are the cornfield. I tried finding a corn pattern, but I couldn't find it, so I went with what I have now. The home bullpen is the one fartherest from the home plate, but it stands over the visiting bullpen to allow them for a good view of the game.

There are two decks, lower and upper. The upper decks covers almost half of the lower stands, so there's actually more seats than it shows. There is a sky walk that connects from the Wells Fargo Arena to the ballpark to give fans easy access (since most people in Des Moines take the skywalks everywhere). The playing surface itself is about 30-40 feet below street level.

The Dimensions:

LF - 335

LCF - 360

CF - 400

*DCF - 427

RCF - 380

RF - 330

* = Deep right center.

So far, based on what I made, it seems like a right-handed hitter's park with power, but is a triples heaven for lefties who can drive the ball to the gap in right center. There is a little short porch in right field though. I think it is perfect for my fictional team, because most of my power hitters are righties, and the one who are lefties has good speed in them and can drive the ball, so it fits my team's personalities pretty well.

So far, I'm not sure where to put the scoreboard yet. I've thought about putting it on the top of the resturant, but I also thought about putting some bleachers on the top of it also....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

IowaOaks.png

Maybe putting the scoreboard on the arena? Thatd be unique. You could put bleachers on top of the resturaunt and then a scoreboard behind it...maybe make that road beyond left field a pedestrian walkway and put the scorebord on the other side of it?

oBIgzrL.png

Maybe putting the scoreboard on the arena? Thatd be unique. You could put bleachers on top of the resturaunt and then a scoreboard behind it...maybe make that road beyond left field a pedestrian walkway and put the scorebord on the other side of it?

Actually, the roads that is around the stadium will be closed on game days, so it will be a pedestrian walkway anyway, but I'm not going to change it. I like the idea of the scoreboard being on the Arena, but I feel like it might be too far away from the fans to be able to read it. I might go with your idea and put both the bleachers and the scoreboard on the top of the resturant.

That building across the street from LF is actually a hotel. Any ideas what I should do with it?

IowaOaks.png

This is a really cool idea and it looks like you've put a lot of thought into it. Your comments about the dimensions made me think back to when I took a tour of Camden Yards a few years after it opened and our tour guide commented that old time ballparks often had irregular dimensions because they were made to fit within city blocks. Clearly you've taken this into account in your design. Although it may be cheesy, I like the cornfield idea as well.

mets.png

That looks great. Do you think you can do one for one of my fantasy baseball teams, the Long Beach (CA) Gulls? The stadium would be adjacent to the Long Beach Convention Centre & Arena, on the Arena parking lot.

As an architecture student and an avid baseball fan who's been to majority of the MLB parks open, lemme pose a few idea to you.....

1. Since that pedestrian bridge connecting the ballpark and arena is so close to the barns, why not make the bridge an old-fashioned covered stock bridge to match the barn to keep the theme rolling.

2. What's a barn without a Silo? Replace one of the 2 barn's with a Silo. The silo could shoot out fireworks out the top of the silo wherever a home run is hit or the home team wins.

3. With all this activity in centerfield area, your main entrance should be here as well. The location would make for a grand entrance.

4. (My Favorite Idea) For good measure, place an old-fashioned water tower behind the left field bleacher area. You could use the water tower as an iconic anchor to the main scoreboard, kinda like "The Big A" was to Anaheim Stadium's Main Scoreboard before the football expansion. (Or the Royal's Crown Scoreboard) And how about including that restaurant you had planned at the top of the water tower. Imagine the views.....

5. And if you want, you could pull "a Ray's" and place in a petting zoo somewhere amongst the barn and Silo. But IMO, that's a bad idea....baseball parks do not need petting zoo's

Good Luck Bro !

NYCdog.png

As an architecture student and an avid baseball fan who's been to majority of the MLB parks open, lemme pose a few idea to you.....

1. Since that pedestrian bridge connecting the ballpark and arena is so close to the barns, why not make the bridge an old-fashioned covered stock bridge to match the barn to keep the theme rolling.

2. What's a barn without a Silo? Replace one of the 2 barn's with a Silo. The silo could shoot out fireworks out the top of the silo wherever a home run is hit or the home team wins.

3. With all this activity in centerfield area, your main entrance should be here as well. The location would make for a grand entrance.

4. (My Favorite Idea) For good measure, place an old-fashioned water tower behind the left field bleacher area. You could use the water tower as an iconic anchor to the main scoreboard, kinda like "The Big A" was to Anaheim Stadium's Main Scoreboard before the football expansion. (Or the Royal's Crown Scoreboard) And how about including that restaurant you had planned at the top of the water tower. Imagine the views.....

5. And if you want, you could pull "a Ray's" and place in a petting zoo somewhere amongst the barn and Silo. But IMO, that's a bad idea....baseball parks do not need petting zoo's

Good Luck Bro !

I love the idea of the old style bridge, and the silo as well. I might replace the smaller barn with the silo, because the large barn will be a "bar." And I really love the water tower too! I could have an scoreboard that looks old fashioned (wooden stuff), but still make it look new (screen in HD, etc...). I'm not going to do the petting zoo. That's just stupid, lol. I'll try to figure out the main entrance in centerfield though. I might have to move the bridge over a little bit.

the bridge might look like this:

ccoveredbridgecsmith.jpg

I'll work on those ideas this weekend. If you have any other ideas, feel free to let me know.

As for now, I might have centerfield exterior styled into a old-fashioned, farm-like, to represent Iowa. But what about the exterior behind home, 1st, and 3rd??

IowaOaks.png

Photo50.jpg

As you can tell, it's just a drawing right now, but I'm building it in illustrator right now. Let me tell you the dimensions of the ballpark...

LF: 335

LCF: 360

CF: 400

Deepest Part: 410

RCF: 360

Just to the right of RF: 335

RF: 315

Just behind the centerfield wall, there will be a cornfield and the bullpens. When the home relievers come into the game, he will appear onto the field from the cornfield, just like they did in Field of Dreams. The stadium will hold about 30-35 thousand people. There will be only two decks, similar to PNC Park (the stadium i based it on). There will be a resturant and the scoreboard in left field. There will be a barn that will serve as a bar during the game in LCF, owned by one of the players, lol. The right field fence will be similar to PNC Park; manual scoreboard and some seating on top of it. The rest of the walls will be about 7-8 feet high, which will be great for robbing home runs. There might be a skywalk connecting the stadium to an Arena (for hockey/basketball) just behind Centerfield. The parking shouldn't be a problem, because there's two or three garages nearby and garages all over the city of Des Moines and they can just skywalk their way over to the stadium.

By the way, this stadium will be for the team that I created here in this thread: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...mp;#entry963466

Here is the site where I will build the stadium, right on the parking lot....

ProposedBallparkSite.png

Once the stadium is built...WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE GOING TO PARK?

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Once the stadium is built...WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE GOING TO PARK?

The parking shouldn't be a problem, because there's two or three garages just one block away and tons of garages all over the city of Des Moines and they can just skywalk their way over to the stadium.

IowaOaks.png

Oh man, I love this type of stuff. I did this about 3 years ago for Minnesota but all I have are sketches. I don't have much C&C to add besides what people have been saying, but I just want to say congratulations on doing this and it's a great thing to do. Nice job.

I guess I don't care for the location being that you are looking at axing the main parking area for WFA.

I know, but I'm not worried about the parking. I'm sure we have plently throughout the city. Des Moines is not that large, so almost everything is walking distance to the ballpark if you take the skywalks. And there's a lot of parking garages that's just a block or two away from the ballpark.

IowaOaks.png

Archived