Chicago White Sox vs. KC Royals

jhans203

Hey DirtyCurty - that cap in your avatar is going to be extinct as of next season.

Don't know if that's common knowledge yet or not, but there it is.

^_^

Wait... what? PM if you can offer anything else you don't want repeated.

I'm not opposed to the road cap going away, but I've also seen a lot of navy around the ballpark. And the Cubs "Cuba" script -- in team stores, not the places across the street.

EDIT: Figured I should add something on-topic. Got sidetracked/blindsided there. I have always been a fan of those Sox throwbacks, but I'm not sure if it's just childhood memories clouding my judgment. They actually bring them back a lot, and I wouldn't mind if they made it a once-a-year event. I'd prefer it to the green unis, no offense to the Irish.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey DirtyCurty - that cap in your avatar is going to be extinct as of next season.

^_^

:cry:

RIP, awesome Cubs road cap.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

^_^

I'm not opposed to the road cap going away, but I've also seen a lot of navy around the ballpark. And the Cubs "Cuba" script -- in team stores, not the places across the street.

That's all I've heard...take it for what it is. Just that the Red brimmed caps are going away. Don't know about anything else, but that doesn't mean there won't be other changes either.

^_^

That's all I've heard...take it for what it is. Just that the Red brimmed caps are going away. Don't know about anything else, but that doesn't mean there won't be other changes either.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. I'll see what I can find out here, if anything.

Next time the Sox have a throwback night I'd like to see a revival the 1959 "Go-Go White Sox" pennant duds. Those were probably the best uniforms theyve ever worn.

They wore them against the Dodgers in '05, actually. And, yeah, they looked great. They even did the socks and baggy pants right.

Kk9OAbzo.jpg

Those are some good looking unis, definitely better than the 80's mess. But other than the red trim and sleeve numbers, are they really that much different from the current ones that would justify a throwback day? Maybe they had to have baggy pants and trimmed socks just to emphasize that there was something different. I would bet that if they wore pants in today's style with those jerseys, quite a few people watching on TV wouldn't even realize anything was different.

On a side note, and not to start too many arguments, but does Harold Baines really deserve a statue? Sure, Seattle named a street after Edgar Martinez, but for a team with a long history like the Sox, is this really warranted?

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

What is it with irrelevant American League teams and throwbacks this year?

Contrary to popular belief, there are 12 other teams in the American League besides the Yankees and the Red Sox. And those latter two teams don't really have much to throwback to.

The Power Rankings on espn.com for relevance:

Top 5 (3 AL, 2 NL)

1. Cubs

2. Red Sox

3. Angels

4. White Sox

5. Mets

Bottom 5 (4 NL, 1 AL)

30. Nationals

29. Padres

28. Rockies

27. Mariners

26. Giants

All-Star Game winner: AL

And the determining factor: The Royals (#24) are better than the Pirates (#25).

Conclusion: The Royals are more relevant than the entire National League

^_^

You would post this epic Cubs uniform news in a freakin' White Sox thread!! :P

Any chance you could elaborate on this topic for us Cubs fans, 'cause I KNOW you've got more info!

6uXNWAo.png

What is it with irrelevant American League teams and throwbacks this year?

Contrary to popular belief, there are 12 other teams in the American League besides the Yankees and the Red Sox. And those latter two teams don't really have much to throwback to.

That's true.... there are... but the question shouldn't be "are there other teams in the AL besides the Yanks and Sox," but "who cares?!?!"

:P

(Certainly not ESPN)

Back to the Cubs note, I am at a loss. I've not heard a single mention about the team making any uniform changes, and I'd LOVE to know what's in store.

Given the team's cash grab in recent years (see the new signage and seating all around Wrigley), I wouldn't be surprised.

Back to the Cubs note, I am at a loss. I've not heard a single mention about the team making any uniform changes, and I'd LOVE to know what's in store.

Given the team's cash grab in recent years (see the new signage and seating all around Wrigley), I wouldn't be surprised.

I can live with the change if it's simply wearing the all-blue home hats on the road. In fact, we had a bit of a preview in the Cubs' series at San Francisco over the 4th of July weekend with the navy USA hats, and it turned out to look pretty classy in a lot of opinions. I also believe that it was up until the early 90s before Chicago started using a red bill, so it wouldn't be bucking tradition if they did make the switch next year.

However, if the hat info is true, I fear the Cubs might try to go retro with the road jerseys as well. I'm a huge fan of their current road-wear, but it has crossed my mind that the "CHICAGO" lettering across the front could appear "too modern" for one of MLB's classic teams. I would definitely hate to see those unis go.

6uXNWAo.png

Kk9OAbzo.jpg

Those are some good looking unis, definitely better than the 80's mess. But other than the red trim and sleeve numbers, are they really that much different from the current ones that would justify a throwback day? Maybe they had to have baggy pants and trimmed socks just to emphasize that there was something different. I would bet that if they wore pants in today's style with those jerseys, quite a few people watching on TV wouldn't even realize anything was different.

Yes, their current set is very similar (intentionally) to that Go-Go Sox era jersey. That being said, the old home jerseys were cream instead of white, and the cap/helmet insignia didn't match the jersey insignia - you can kind of see that in the picture.

Also, those uniforms were worn to commemorate the 1959 World Series, which was the last time (at the time) that the White Sox had been to the World Series - at which time, they hosted the Dodgers. Not seen in that picture was the fact that the Dodgers were also wearing throwback uniforms, although again, the differences were fairly minimal.

On a side note, and not to start too many arguments, but does Harold Baines really deserve a statue? Sure, Seattle named a street after Edgar Martinez, but for a team with a long history like the Sox, is this really warranted?
Harold was a huge fan favorite during the '80s - when the Sox traded him away in 1989, they retired his number (in a surprise ceremony) the first time he came to town with Texas. I'm pretty sure Harold's unique in that he wound up playing for the Sox later, wearing the uniform number that was retired in his honor. He's one of those players who never did anything at an elite level, but wound up piling up some pretty impressive numbers - 3 of Baseball-Reference's top 4 "Similar Batters" are in the Hall of Fame.

And, for a team with as long of a history as the Sox have, the Sox really don't have a long list of "elite" players.

I can live with the change if it's simply wearing the all-blue home hats on the road. In fact, we had a bit of a preview in the Cubs' series at San Francisco over the 4th of July weekend with the navy USA hats, and it turned out to look pretty classy in a lot of opinions. I also believe that it was up until the early 90s before Chicago started using a red bill, so it wouldn't be bucking tradition if they did make the switch next year.

However, if the hat info is true, I fear the Cubs might try to go retro with the road jerseys as well. I'm a huge fan of their current road-wear, but it has crossed my mind that the "CHICAGO" lettering across the front could appear "too modern" for one of MLB's classic teams. I would definitely hate to see those unis go.

I've never really cared for the red bill, so I wouldn't mind those going away.

I've always liked these road uniforms - what would you think about something like this?

nl_1955_chicago.gif

I didn't mind the cap, actually I rather like it. I've voiced my disdain for the current grays many a time before, here's to hoping those get changed.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

speaking of these throwbacks (to get back on track here) does anyone have a pic of the old buffalo bisons versions of them? i dont remember how long they wore them but they were the same and beautiful!

2004RedSox.png

If it means we get the "Cuba" jersey-

nl_1995_chicago.gif

...then it's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I've always liked these road uniforms - what would you think about something like this?

nl_1955_chicago.gif

I've been indifferent on the Cubs red bill even sicne they were introduced back in the 90s. It does go well with the red digits on the Cubs' road uniforms, but it definitely does not have that classic look to it like the home hats carry with them.

As for the 1950s throwbacks you're suggesting, I honestly don't think it's a good fit for today's Cubs. I can't say I'm a fan of the underlined 'CHICAGO' on the road gear. On top of that, if they were going old school, they'd probably switch up the home unis as well. That said, I don't think if I could ever get used to the Cubs without their home blue pinstripes. In my opinion, it just wouldn't seem right if the Northsiders ever abandoned them.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived