WNBA Fight night in Detroit

walkerws

Coming from someone who has played both sports competitively, I can tell you first hand, its not even close. Theres a reason for all of those pads.....

Yeah. It's called ice.

(And flying pucks. And high-speed collisions with boards.)

And while there are big checks and fights in hockey, there's a big load of :censored: that goes on in a basketball game all around that goes unnoticed. While I think hockey is slightly more physical, I think it's very close. (something I think you'd understand if you've ever boxed out, been on either side of a pick, wrestled for a loose ball, or taken a foul. And this is only coming from my rich white-boy leagues and games. Never even played a real game of street)

Its called hardwood.

And I have.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coming from someone who has played both sports competitively, I can tell you first hand, its not even close. Theres a reason for all of those pads.....

Tom Izzo has the Michigan State team practice in football pads. :D

Still question the physicality of basketball? Or shall we instruct you to take a drive into the paint a couple of times?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I used to not respect the physicality of basketball, until I got lower-level seats and watched the banging under the rim at a Sixers / Magic game back in the Shaq days. You basically need to be like an offensive lineman to hold your own in the paint in a lot of situations.

Not only the big guys - I think I saw Dana Barros (all 5' nothing of him) get beaten up like a rag doll repeatedly on plays where the refs didn't even consider calling fouls.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah. It's called ice.

(And flying pucks. And high-speed collisions with boards.)

And while there are big checks and fights in hockey, there's a big load of :censored: that goes on in a basketball game all around that goes unnoticed. While I think hockey is slightly more physical, I think it's very close. (something I think you'd understand if you've ever boxed out, been on either side of a pick, wrestled for a loose ball, or taken a foul. And this is only coming from my rich white-boy leagues and games. Never even played a real game of street)

'Scuse me...

If you've played Australian Rules Football, please raise your hand.

Now granted, at our level (and Mr. Kevin Joseph, as the only known USFooty player on this board besides myself, can back me up on this), most of the contact is purely in the spirit of the game, and any overtly rough physical play is quashed out by either the umpire jumping in or simply starting up play again.

Now, on the "professional level", most of the brawling has been stamped out, though you do see random punches being thrown here and then and the occasional big punch up, but still -- that's always been seen as part of the game.

But that's my opinion.

philly.png

Archived