New Orleans soccer "Name the Team" contest

B-Rich

Designers and fellow logo aficionados, here's one for you:

The New Orleans Shockers, the city's entry in the United Soccer League?s Premier Development League, is planning on moving to a "full professional status" (?) in 2009. As a result the team is currently looking for a NEW NAME, NEW COLORS and NEW MASCOT, and holding a contest as such.

Web link:New Orleans Shockers Name the Team Competition

FWIW, this is a very minor league team, and a very minor league operation. The website still lists the name as the "New Orleans Shell Shockers" although they dropped the "Shell" (along with Shell Oil dropping their sponsorship) before last season. Still, thought I might share.....

It is what it is.

Some names that come to mind...

New Orleans

Vampyres (Anne Rice's vampire chronicles are set in New Orleans)

Nightmares (tip of the hat towards the supernatural elements surrounding New Orleans)

Jazz (where it should be)

Privateers (New Orleans was at times known as a haven for pirates)

Swashbucklers (see above)

Dukes (After Duke Phillipe II of Orleans)

61ers (After Highway 61 aka the Blues Highway)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Some names that come to mind...

New Orleans

Vampyres (Anne Rice's vampire chronicles are set in New Orleans)

Nightmares (tip of the hat towards the supernatural elements surrounding New Orleans)

Jazz (where it should be)

Privateers (New Orleans was at times known as a haven for pirates)

Swashbucklers (see above)

Dukes (After Duke Phillipe II of Orleans)

61ers (After Highway 61 aka the Blues Highway)

I like Vampyres, Nightmares, and Dukes (which also plays off of the "Dukes of Dixieland" jazz idea).

Swashbucklers is appropriate, but a bit of a mouthful, and hard to contract.

Jazz is unofficially retired and will probably never be taken up again-- the ECHL hockey team was in fact named "the Brass" when they could have just as easily been called the Jazz.

Privateers is already used by the University of New Orleans.

61ers (or alternately, 61s) does start as Tulane Avenue in downtown New Orleans, but its designation as "the Blues Highway" is actually more in line with its running through the home of the blues (the Delta area of northwest Mississippi), through Memphis and then up to St. Louis.

One idea I've always had is for a New Orleans team to be called the Spirits. This covers not only the supernatural aspects of New Orleans culture, but also 'spirits' is another term for booze-- which ties in to our party and drinking culture.....

It is what it is.

One idea I've always had is for a New Orleans team to be called the Spirits. This covers not only the supernatural aspects of New Orleans culture, but also 'spirits' is another term for booze-- which ties in to our party and drinking culture.....

That's not a bad idea.

Archived