Best NCAA Logos

ilovenj

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have said, in plain English, "We don't like this, we are not honored by it, we are hurt by it, and we would appreciate if the use of our heritage would not be used for your football teams." To which they get this response;

"Prove it," or "It doesn't matter how you interpret it, we are trying to honor you so you should be grateful," or "My teacher said its not a huge deal, and she is an Indian."

As far as these images being trivializing and demeaning, the only evidence we have is your opinion.

You are making my point for me. Why are you asking for evidence? Why do you need proof? Isn't the fact that the subjects of these logos tell you they are offensive and demeaning enough evidence? It blows my mind that people need "proof" on this matter and that schools need to be "forced" to change. Why can't we take the high road and change proactively because we know it is the kind thing to do? Thats all I want to know and no one here has been able to answer that question.

If my word isn't enough proof (and you are uneducated in the wonders of a google search), here is a link to a list of organizations in support of changes to Native American logos and nicknames in sports.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hundreds of thousands of Americans have said, in plain English, "We don't like this, we are not honored by it, we are hurt by it, and we would appreciate if the use of our heritage would not be used for your football teams." To which they get this response;

"Prove it," or "It doesn't matter how you interpret it, we are trying to honor you so you should be grateful," or "My teacher said its not a huge deal, and she is an Indian."

As far as these images being trivializing and demeaning, the only evidence we have is your opinion.

You are making my point for me. Why are you asking for evidence? Why do you need proof? Isn't the fact that the subjects of these logos tell you they are offensive and demeaning enough evidence? It blows my mind that people need "proof" on this matter and that schools need to be "forced" to change. Why can't we take the high road and change proactively because we know it is the kind thing to do? Thats all I want to know and no one here has been able to answer that question.

If my word isn't enough proof (and you are uneducated in the wonders of a google search), here is a link to a list of organizations in support of changes to Native American logos and nicknames in sports.

How many of those groups actually count Native Americans as their members?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How many of those groups actually count Native Americans as their members?

Yep. And not only that, but I suspect many of them are the same people making up a variety of names for themselves. 5 groups sound more imposing than 1. This was common at U of I, where the Anti-Chief thugs claimed several made-up organizations supported the cause. Depending on the function, the PRC called itself "I-Resist" among other things. There were a lot of organizations with no meetings and no members claiming to oppose the Chief.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

One of the groups listed against American Indian nicknames is the North Dakota State University Student Senate.

Well, sheesh, NDSU is the arch-rival of the University of North Dakota. The folks at NDSU wouldn't mind the UND Fighting Sioux nickname chased to the UND Fighting Daffodils.

A little homerism, but I still think its timeless.

This whole thread has pretty much been an exercise in blatant homerism.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If you'll pardon the pun, I'm going to buck the trend. I've never even been to Wyoming much less rooted for their team but this has always been a favorite.

wyoming_logo2.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Agreed.

While we're at it lets drag some other dead horses out of the closet:

- The Cowboys mismatching blues debate

- The Chargers light blue uni debate

- The fact that someone saw the "new Buccaneer uniforms with a new number style" during training camp revelation

:rolleyes:

did I miss any?

The pretentiousness of the Cowboys' star logo.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The pretentiousness of the Cowboys' star logo.

:blink:

Uh....you know what its really in reference to, right????

I'm just asking.

Yes I do.

I was referencing this thread.

Today, we are all otaku.

If you'll pardon the pun, I'm going to buck the trend. I've never even been to Wyoming much less rooted for their team but this has always been a favorite.

wyoming_logo2.jpg

me and about 400,000 other people agree

wyoming_logo2.jpg

me and about 400,000 other people agree

Count me in that 400,000 who LOVE that logo...and the school colors. (I happen to love the color brown...but most times it's used with orange, so the yellow and brown of Wyoming stands out that much more to me.)

Among letter-type logos, this one here might be my favorite of all:

eeouzacpkg2tb9079kv6ez716.gif

Looks so old-timey (the logo's older than me...but it still does its job and has held very well, in my opinion.

I do agree with whoever posted the Washington State Cougar logo...there's something to be said for uniqueness and creativity.

However, among "animal" logos, there's one that I've always loved even since I was a young one--a lil' tike coming up, and I still view it in the same regard:

719.gif

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived