"More" Controversial Topic

Magnus

This is not a topic about realignment.

I know that those ideas have been done to death, warmed over, and killed again.

This is just a scheduling adjustment idea for the NHL and/or NBA, who both play 82-game seasons. I came up with it in light of the NHL's scheduling readjustment this year.

40 games inside a team's own division. A heavy emphasis on divisional play would cut down on travel costs and intensify some rivalries, I think.

20 games against the opposite conference (10 teams once, 5 twice)

20 games against the 10 non-division, in-conference teams.

That brings it to 80 games.

The extra 2, which bring the total to 82 (why? I don't know) would be played against a designated team in the other conference.

I personally think that 82 games is a terrible number.

It doesn't divide into anything very well.

But this is what I came up with.

Thoughts?

How about those extra two games being a home and home against the geographically closest team during a holiday weekend, thereby creating rivalries that would be played at the same time each year.

Yes, that could also work nicely.

The only reason I proposed the extra 2 games against an opposite-conference team was that I didn't want to do the mind-work of figuring out which teams were geographically closest to each other 15 times over.

I'm not sure that Divisional play should be as emphasized now that the NHL has a Conference, as opposed to Divisional playoff format. Also, I don't really want to watch 10 Blues-Blue Jackets games in one season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As an AHL fan, I can say that having teams play each other 10 times a year when there's a 30 (okay, 29) team league is annoying. Building and maintaining rivalries is important, but facing a team 10 times a year, and then potentially another series of seven in the playoffs, is overkill.

I'd gladly give up 2 games a year against the IceHogs or Admirals for some Eastern exposure.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've said it over and over again. Rivalries are made in the playoffs, not regular season.

If you want divisional rivalries back, bring back divisional playoffs... as it stands there are too many potential first-round opponents for any one team in the league to really start up any new, real good rivalries.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

As an AHL fan, I can say that having teams play each other 10 times a year when there's a 30 (okay, 29) team league is annoying. Building and maintaining rivalries is important, but facing a team 10 times a year, and then potentially another series of seven in the playoffs, is overkill.

I'd gladly give up 2 games a year against the IceHogs or Admirals for some Eastern exposure.

Welcome to the ECHL South Division. 10+ games series have been the norm for years. This season the Augusta Lynx and Mississippi Sea Wolves play each other 16 times. Out of 72 games, that means 22.2% of your games are against one team.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I've said it over and over again. Rivalries are made in the playoffs, not regular season.

If you want divisional rivalries back, bring back divisional playoffs... as it stands there are too many potential first-round opponents for any one team in the league to really start up any new, real good rivalries.

Hey, someone gets it.

I think that is the biggest mistake the NHL made in regards to expansion. Had the NHL kept the divisional playoffs when theyexpanded in the 90's those new teams would have been brought into the mix better and probably would have developed rivalries more quickly. That would have reduced the number of "meh games" in the regular season that now sometimes exis with these teams because new rivalries would have hopefully developed. Think about what a couple meetings in a row in the playoffs did for the Toronto-Ottawa rivalry, there geographic closeness along with playoff history created a matchup that was must see hockey (well until Toronto started sucking). Now look at a team like Tampa, who has one a Stanley Cup, they have only played 2 teams multiple times in the playoffs, Philly and New Jersey, niether of which is in their division. It has hurt that team's ability to develop a true rivalry and now that they are bad pretty much every game they play is a "meh game".

Hey, someone gets it.

I think that is the biggest mistake the NHL made in regards to expansion. Had the NHL kept the divisional playoffs when theyexpanded in the 90's those new teams would have been brought into the mix better and probably would have developed rivalries more quickly. That would have reduced the number of "meh games" in the regular season that now sometimes exis with these teams because new rivalries would have hopefully developed. Think about what a couple meetings in a row in the playoffs did for the Toronto-Ottawa rivalry, there geographic closeness along with playoff history created a matchup that was must see hockey (well until Toronto started sucking). Now look at a team like Tampa, who has one a Stanley Cup, they have only played 2 teams multiple times in the playoffs, Philly and New Jersey, niether of which is in their division. It has hurt that team's ability to develop a true rivalry and now that they are bad pretty much every game they play is a "meh game".

True.

The only teams I truly hate and have a rivalry with are the Red Wings (played 3 times in the playoffs), Wild (played twice), Stars (twice), Oilers (once but the Burke/Lowe fiasco included). There is actually a good rivalry between the Ducks and Sharks because we came into the league at the same time, same division, same state, and always physical, tough-nosed games. If they ever met in the playoffs, it would explode! Ducks/Kings is nice. They are close games and what not. But it's mostly a rivalry amongst the fans, rather than the teams themselves. Kings fans hate us for just being here and now winning a Cup, and we hate Kings fans for that very attitude. Plus bragging rights amongst friends but eh. The Ducks and Kings have never even been in the playoffs together, so that weakens it more.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Hey, someone gets it.

True.

The only teams I truly hate and have a rivalry with are the Red Wings (played 3 times in the playoffs), Wild (played twice), Stars (twice), Oilers (once but the Burke/Lowe fiasco included). There is actually a good rivalry between the Ducks and Sharks because we came into the league at the same time, same division, same state, and always physical, tough-nosed games. If they ever met in the playoffs, it would explode! Ducks/Kings is nice. They are close games and what not. But it's mostly a rivalry amongst the fans, rather than the teams themselves. Kings fans hate us for just being here and now winning a Cup, and we hate Kings fans for that very attitude. Plus bragging rights amongst friends but eh. The Ducks and Kings have never even been in the playoffs together, so that weakens it more.

You hate us for that attitude and yet your attitude is just as bad. And why should we like the Ducks or Ducks fans? Give me one good reason? I don't think Yankee and Red Sox fans like each other or each other's team. Why the heck should I like the Ducks or their fans? These are the same MORONS that booed Wayne Gretzky when he came back after being traded to the Blues. Talk about a bunch of ingrates. If it wasn't for Gretzky there would be no Ducks, then again if it wasn't for Gretzky 1/3 of the NHL wouldn't be. What I hate are ignorant Duck fans, that's what I hate. Then again, I do hate Duck fans and I love hating them. I have a friend and she's a Ducks fan, if she wasn't, well then it wouldn't have that fun rivalry to the friendship. Oh hey by the way Still Mighty, have you heard of puck podcast? It's done by a Ducks fan and a Kings fan and is an excellent hockey podcast. If not check it out at www.puckpodcast.com.

Hey, someone gets it.

True.

You hate us for that attitude and yet your attitude is just as bad. And why should we like the Ducks or Ducks fans? Give me one good reason? I don't think Yankee and Red Sox fans like each other or each other's team. Why the heck should I like the Ducks or their fans? These are the same MORONS that booed Wayne Gretzky when he came back after being traded to the Blues. Talk about a bunch of ingrates. If it wasn't for Gretzky there would be no Ducks, then again if it wasn't for Gretzky 1/3 of the NHL wouldn't be. What I hate are ignorant Duck fans, that's what I hate. Then again, I do hate Duck fans and I love hating them. I have a friend and she's a Ducks fan, if she wasn't, well then it wouldn't have that fun rivalry to the friendship. Oh hey by the way Still Mighty, have you heard of puck podcast? It's done by a Ducks fan and a Kings fan and is an excellent hockey podcast. If not check it out at www.puckpodcast.com.

See this is why I hate Kings fans :D

And yes I have heard of the Puck Podcast. I've actually been listening to it for the past year and a half. The Ducks fan on there is actually a moderator at the Ducks message board I belong to. (www.allducks.com)

My feelings are, if a league is that concerned with travel costs, they'd do everything in their power to get rid of these 1-game road trips and 1-game homestands. The NHL would have teams play road games in multiple sets (regionalized or teams in the same division) and longer homestands. For instance, there's a part of the Thrashers schedule that goes like this: @ Dallas, vs. Islanders, @ Carolina, @ Rangers, vs. New Jersey, vs. Philadelphia, @ Tampa, vs. Chicago.

The NHL should follow the NBA's lead and schedule games like that. You get to see every team at home (which allows the fans to see every superstar in the game), and you get to visit every team's place. The playoffs are determined by conference anyway, so it makes little sense in playing more division games when you're competing amongst 14 other teams for eight playoff spots. Division games mean more in MLB and the NFL because there are fewer playoff spots for non-division winners to claim.

There is actually a good rivalry between the Ducks and Sharks because we came into the league at the same time, same division, same state, and always physical, tough-nosed games. If they ever met in the playoffs, it would explode! .

Not to be pedantic but the Ducks came into the league two seasons after the Sharks started playing. There is a nice rivalry between the teams though. B)

There is actually a good rivalry between the Ducks and Sharks because we came into the league at the same time, same division, same state, and always physical, tough-nosed games. If they ever met in the playoffs, it would explode! .

Not to be pedantic but the Ducks came into the league two seasons after the Sharks started playing. There is a nice rivalry between the teams though. B)

Yeah, I know. Same time frame. Same like expansion age. Early-90s expansion. Sharks, Lightning, Senators, Ducks and the Winnipeg, Minnesota, Quebec moves.... They're a good team for us to mark as a barometer for ourselves. Both kinda came to rise and fall about the same relative times. Now we're both fighting for the Division and Cup each year. Some of the same guys have been there a while (Cheechoo, Nabakov, Marleau vs Selanne, Giguere, Pahlsson). Both have acquired players with rivalry connections to the other (Rob Blake for SJ, Pronger for ANA). And really any more than any other team we play, there have been several events that link us (Ron Wilson was the first Ducks coach, we traded Selanne to them, dealt with Jeff frickin Freisen) and also several controversial events between the teams... et cetera... et cetera... et cetera... :D

• 2 weeks later...

You couldn't be more right!

I agree 100%!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

84-game NHL/NBA schedule (30 teams)

IN CONFERENCE

4 division x 6 = 24

10 conference x 3 = 30 (54)

OTHER CONFERENCE

all 15 teams twice = 30 (84)

This is already under consideration, I do believe (NHL-wise)

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived