Bobby Orr Night in Oshawa

zer0dotcom

After much delay and discussion, the Oshawa Generals finally got around to retiring "2" officially tonight before the Generals took on the Petes. THe Generals came out victorious 5-1 over the dreaded Petes (not wanting to repeat their performance last season, when they lost on the night they retired Lindros' number 88)

With several former teammates in attendance, his old defensive partner, and a surprise appearance by Don Cherry, Bobby Orr took his rightful place in Oshawa with his retired banner joining 14 league championship banners, and 4 Memorial Cups.

Current Captain John Tavares warms up in the old Bruins style Gens sweaters (the same style Orr wore during the 60's)

P1040600.jpg

Don Cherry shares some stories with the crowd

P1040653.jpg

Orr's banner raises to the roof

P1040685.jpg

Orr's number now hangs beside Eric Lindros and Red Tilson.

P1040690.jpg

Orr drops the puck for the opening faceoff. When he got to center ice, he suddenly remembered he didn't have a puck, and had to retrieve one from the bench.

P1040693.jpg

Are you kidding me all these years they waited to retire his number, and he did not wear 4 in Oshawa, shocking Number 4 Bobby Orr just is perfect.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Are you kidding me all these years they waited to retire his number, and he did not wear 4 in Oshawa, shocking Number 4 Bobby Orr just is perfect.

Number 2 is the classic Defenseman jersey number. It is to a defenseman what 9 is to a forward and 1 is to a goalie.

I wish I was at that game, I was supposed to go but my friend forgot to get tickets for it. :( I'd have been one of the annoying Petes fans. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

In my opinion, the greatest hockey player ever. Hands down. Nice to see Oshawa finally retire his number. Hats off to Mr. Orr....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Wait a minute. Lindros' number was already retired, and they just now got around to retiring Orr's number? What was the hold up?

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Wait a minute. Lindros' number was already retired, and they just now got around to retiring Orr's number? What was the hold up?

The story that was running around for ages was that Orr refused any special acknowledgement.

1. In the old arena, there wasn't any room to hang any banners, so there were no numbers retired (though no one everwas given 2 or 9) or even championship banners.

2. The team always wanted Orr to be there, and he just kept refusing. The new owner finally managed to twist his arm to show up.

3. Two years ago when they closed the Civic, and opened the GM Centre, they had several dozen players back for the ceremony. Orr was supposed to come out last as the greatest General ever, but said he would only do it if he was introduced the same as every other player.

Lindros' was likea dress rehersal in a way, Orr's went smoother, although longer. They really have put a lid on where you can go for photos, so CC and I got stuck in a corner, and security told CC he couldn't use his new camera lens at all. There was alot that sucked, but what can you do?

I was 'upset' that they didn't have the old black jerseys for sale, or even auctioning off the warm-up ones after the game.

I don't get why you're so flabbergasted. :blink:

Yeah, it wasn't like the Generals thought had something special or had any promotion ideas when they had Bobby Orr or that he would be one of the greats.

I saw, I came, I left.

zer0dotcom, thank you so much for posting these pics!

I wanted very badly to head down for the game/ceremony unfortunatly I was stuck at meetings last night.

A much deserved honour. It's that much better seeing as Orr didn't even want the recognition, that guy is a class act.

Makes me wonder how he feels when he does back home to Perry Sound....seing as the whole town is pretty much a tribute to him.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

They really have put a lid on where you can go for photos, so CC and I got stuck in a corner, and security told CC he couldn't use his new camera lens at all. There was alot that sucked, but what can you do?

I can leave early, which I did :P

One decent shot I got just before the tap on the shoulder came

3065090045_de4a2da997.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

They really have put a lid on where you can go for photos, so CC and I got stuck in a corner, and security told CC he couldn't use his new camera lens at all. There was alot that sucked, but what can you do?

Just when you think Grapes has worn the most gaudy piece of clothing ever, he finds a way to top himself.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Just when you think Grapes has worn the most gaudy piece of clothing ever, he finds a way to top himself.

It looks like a table cloth

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sell that, and make back the money you wasted on your ticket! :D

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Geez, you would think that since the night was in honor of someone else, who Cherry happens to worship like a God, you'd think he'd tone it down a bit and not try to be the center of attention like that. :rolleyes:

I'm currently reading "Searching for Bobby Orr", so the timing on this is perfect for me, but no matter the reason, the thought of Lindros getting his number retired there before Orr makes my stomach hurt. :mad:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

He looks like a walking Telus commercial.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived