NHL outdoor games

goalieboy82

My favorite team's biggest rival vs. my favorite team @ my hometown outdoor stadium.

Was just about to post that. These winter classic threads are second only to realignment threads in terms of pointlessness.

How bout starting in 2010, a team from the West vs. a team from the East at a neutral location preferably where it has a great chance of snowfall and a massive stadium to boot.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They will probably do a Gophers v. Badgers at TCF Bank Stadium before the Wild would get a game.

Target Field 2010- Wild v. Stars is a good bet.

How about USA v. Canada in Vancover for the 2010 Olympics?

There is no outside venue in Vancouver capable of holding such an event. The opening ceromonies for the Games are being held indoors at BC Place.

They will probably do a Gophers v. Badgers at TCF Bank Stadium before the Wild would get a game.

There is no outside venue in Vancouver capable of holding such an event. The opening ceromonies for the Games are being held indoors at BC Place.

Sounds like a small ceremony but if Turin got 35,000 spectators for theirs, then anything is possible.

Where do the BC Lions Play?

minn.png

Where do the BC Lions Play?

BC Place

• 4 weeks later...

so where do you think next years winter classic would be, here is what i think:

1: canada base outdoor game in montreal for the Canadiens 100 birthday. lets hope its hads vs leafs

2: us base game at New Yankee Stadium with Rangers. lets hope it Rangers vs Bruins.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

so where do you think next years winter classic would be, here is what i think:

1: canada base outdoor game in montreal for the Canadiens 100 birthday. lets hope its hads vs leafs

2: us base game at New Yankee Stadium with Rangers. lets hope it Rangers vs Bruins.

I attempted to setup a poll for this topic just for :censored:s and giggles.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...p;#entry1086496

I don't want back to back Original 6 match-ups or else the league will run out very quickly.

Next, I'd like to see one of these games:

-Colorado at Minnesota (Whenever possible after Target Field is complete)

-New Jersey at Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field

-New York Islanders at New York Rangers New Yankee Stadium

-New York Rangers at Boston Fenway Park or vice versa at New Yankee Stadium (in 2011)

-Vancouver at Colorado Invesco Field

-Toronto at Montreal Molson Stadium With some removable seats because 20 000 definitely isn't enough. Or vice versa at BMO Field, also with extra seats for same reason. (in 2011)

-Detroit (I don't like repeats) at Columbus Ohio Stadium Hopefully this could fill up 100 000 + seats. (in 2012 or so)

You know, it would be interesting to see a game put into Arrowhead at Kansas City, at Autzen Stadium near Portland, Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton (with temporary seating) or M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, not only to give fans in those team-less cities a (huge) taste of the NHL, but to see which city is best-suited for a new team if needed. Just an idea.

3148831073_34dc0f72c6_o.png

here are mine

10: Maple Leafs Vs Canucks at Canad Inns Stadium

...in Winnipeg?

Yes!

I would love to see that, if they hae any chance of getting it though, it will probably be in 2011 when they get their new stadium.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Out of curiousity, has Pittsburgh ever been considered to host a Classic? Maybe it could be held at Heinz Field.

It's an ok idea, but Pittsburgh played in the outdoor game last year. I would wait at least three years before giving the Pens another go at it.

Oh, and the Heritage/Outdoor Classic really doesn't have that much to do with the game's roots, BUT it's still a very neat concept. It's a fantastic once a year concept.

I just wish that NBC would admit the first one WASN'T in Buffalo last year. It was 2003 in Edmonton, Habs vs Oilers.

Out of curiousity, has Pittsburgh ever been considered to host a Classic? Maybe it could be held at Heinz Field.

It's an ok idea, but Pittsburgh played in the outdoor game last year. I would wait at least three years before giving the Pens another go at it.

Oh, and the Heritage/Outdoor Classic really doesn't have that much to do with the game's roots, BUT it's still a very neat concept. It's a fantastic once a year concept.

I just wish that NBC would admit the first one WASN'T in Buffalo last year. It was 2003 in Edmonton, Habs vs Oilers.

More then that, I say atleast 5-7, let another 10-14 teams have a shot at it.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I don't they ever said the one in Buffalo was the first outdoor game, but the first Winter Classic, which is technically correct if they're going to do this annually. The one in Edmonton was known as the Heritage Classic and was played in November. If Pittsburgh is going to have one, they are much better off at PNC Park in terms scenery and availability.

I saw, I came, I left.

More then that, I say atleast 5-7, let another 10-14 teams have a shot at it.

Ideally I would agree. But the outdoor Classic has become something of a centre piece for the NHL. I can see them wanting to trot out Crosby at every possible opportunity.

Actually it was 1991 when the Rangers played the Kings in Las Vegas ,now grant it was a pre-season game,but still it was the first.

I don't they ever said the one in Buffalo was the first outdoor game, but the first Winter Classic, which is technically correct if they're going to do this annually. The one in Edmonton was known as the Heritage Classic and was played in November.

You have a point, except that they act like the one in Buffalo was the first ever outdoor game in the NHL's modern history. I was watching the NBC feed, and that's definitely the impression they gave.

Plus the fact that had the Heritage Classic not occurred the NHL wouldn't have gotten the idea for the Winter Classic. The Heritage Classic between the Oilers and Habs was sort of like Super Bowl I. Technically there was no "Super Bowl I," but we all know there was. It was just called something different.

Also, I almost spit out my pop when some NBC talking head called the Red Wings/Blackhawks rivalry the longest in the NHL.

WTF?

Actually it was 1991 when the Rangers played the Kings in Las Vegas ,now grant it was a pre-season game,but still it was the first.

Yes, but it didn't have any barring on the NHL adopting the annual "Winter Classic" formula. The Heritage Classic between the Oilers and Habs was clearly the genesis of the modern "Winter Classic" concept.

Archived