NHL outdoor games

goalieboy82

I think I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If I was a GM of a team playing in an outdoor game, I'd be incredibly nervous. I mean, that ice must be absolutely terrible, and even ten times more choppy than a regular, indoor game. One little knick on the ice, and Crosby totally destroys his knee(s). Is that worth playing an outdoor game? Absolutely not. (Unless you hate Sidney Crosby, which in that case, it is worth it I guess.)

That's a What if situation, what if Sidney Crosby is hit by a car, what if Sidney Crosby is struck by Lightning the outdoor game brings hockey to it's roots

I know that those situations are one in a life time thing but he could also wreck his knee in practice or during a normal game.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If I was a GM of a team playing in an outdoor game, I'd be incredibly nervous. I mean, that ice must be absolutely terrible, and even ten times more choppy than a regular, indoor game. One little knick on the ice, and Crosby totally destroys his knee(s). Is that worth playing an outdoor game? Absolutely not. (Unless you hate Sidney Crosby, which in that case, it is worth it I guess.)

That's a What if situation, what if Sidney Crosby is hit by a car, what if Sidney Crosby is struck by Lightning the outdoor game brings hockey to it's roots

I know that those situations are one in a life time thing but he could also wreck his knee in practice or during a normal game.

Yes, but his chances are raised in an outdoor game. And don't compare Crosby hurting his knee in a game, versus being struck by lightning. Though, you did capitalize 'Lightning'. Are you implying that he'll be stuck Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, or even Steven Stamkos? :P

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I think Hershey Park Stadium would be a better location for the Flyers-Pens match up. And if any "warm" city could pull off an outdoor ice rink it would be Las Vagas. Actually the average daily high in the winter is 60 with the low in the 30's so it isn't that much of a stretch.

That would be so awesome. I'd get to see an NHL game, outdoors, and only 15 minutes from home.

Hershey Stadium's not big enough for an NHL game by any stretch of the imagination. Beaver Stadium would be near perfect, as it's basically right between Pittsburgh and Philly. I mean, Hershey'd be sweet, since I'd only have to drive a half hour to get there, but there's not a chance they could do it there.

Both locations are in the middle of the state, Hershey is just a little more south and right off the Turnpike.

Beaver Stadium seats over 110,000. I doubt there would be more than 50K there. But Hershey Park Stadium could be configured to hold 35,000 (temp stands in the open endzones) give or take. It would make for a packed house, good for TV, and could be part of a full weekend with the Bears, WBS Pens, Phantoms, and Binghamton Sens.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Yes, but his chances are raised in an outdoor game. And don't compare Crosby hurting his knee in a game, versus being struck by lightning. Though, you did capitalize 'Lightning'. Are you implying that he'll be stuck Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, or even Steven Stamkos? :P

Haha you never know he could

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Sharks vs. either Kings or Ducks in this setting

winter-lake-tahoe.jpg

Lake Tahoe, or somewhere near Lake Tahoe where a rink and some of those temporary bleachers they use for Grand Prix events can be put up.

A good marketing point to such a potential Winter Classic event would be the proximity of Squaw Valley, where the USA won its first hockey gold medal back in the 1960 Winter Olympics

I wouldn't be suprised to see a west-coast game next year. Vancouver vs San Jose at Qwest field or something along those lines...

Or you might get Bruins-Canadiens at Foxborough.

THose are my two guesses for next year.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

they hold that big ass celebrity golf event every summer up there (Lake Tahoe), they can handle an NHL Winter Classic game on a temporary rink with about 20,000 temporary bleacher seats.

also, it would be a major feather in the hat for the region if the Reno-Tahoe bid for the 2018 Winter Games is to come to fruition

I wouldn't be suprised to see a west-coast game next year. Vancouver vs San Jose at Qwest field or something along those lines...

I'd rather see the game at Fenway, but I doubt that would come to fruition. Eitherway though, I'd love to see the B's play the Habs in the winter classic, I'm surprised this type of rivalry hasn't gotten more airplay.

I'd rather see the game at Fenway, but I doubt that would come to fruition. Eitherway though, I'd love to see the B's play the Habs in the winter classic, I'm surprised this type of rivalry hasn't gotten more airplay.

I can see such a matchup in 2012 (Fenway's centennial). From what I've read the favourites for the next two Winter Classics are New York (New Yankee Stadium) and Minnesota (Target Field).

My favorite team's biggest rival vs. my favorite team @ my hometown outdoor stadium.

Was just about to post that. These winter classic threads are second only to realignment threads in terms of pointlessness.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I loved the Winter Classic last year, but why does everyone say that outdoor NHL games bring the game back to its roots. Did you grow up as a little kid in Saskatchewan or Minnesota playing on an artificial ice surface with boards and benches and painted lines in the middle of your backyard football stadium wearing a throwback uniform? All it is is a game outside in a big stadium, the roots of the game never looked like this.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sharks vs. either Kings or Ducks in this setting

winter-lake-tahoe.jpg

Lake Tahoe, or somewhere near Lake Tahoe where a rink and some of those temporary bleachers they use for Grand Prix events can be put up.

A good marketing point to such a potential Winter Classic event would be the proximity of Squaw Valley, where the USA won its first hockey gold medal back in the 1960 Winter Olympics

The good part about that is they wouldn't need to put many temporary bleachers up

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Stars v. Wild in TCF Bank Stadium

Wiuld the Stars wear Northstars throwbacks?

I would faint.

I loved the Winter Classic last year, but why does everyone say that outdoor NHL games bring the game back to its roots. Did you grow up as a little kid in Saskatchewan or Minnesota.

Yes, as a matter of fact. I'm sure there are players that have never played outdoors. I'm sure there are players that never had their rink size determined by how many shovels they could round up. I'm sure there are players that never spent intermission in the warming house trying to unthaw their toes. And all the players are dead when the NHL was played outdoors or in open air arenas. Despite that, hockey outside is andd always will be its roots.

My favorite team's biggest rival vs. my favorite team @ my hometown outdoor stadium.

Was just about to post that. These winter classic threads are second only to realignment threads in terms of pointlessness.

Absolutely nothing associated with hockey is pointless!!!thirty-six

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Stars v. Wild in TCF Bank Stadium

Wiuld the Stars wear Northstars throwbacks?

I would faint.

I loved the Winter Classic last year, but why does everyone say that outdoor NHL games bring the game back to its roots. Did you grow up as a little kid in Saskatchewan or Minnesota.

Yes, as a matter of fact. I'm sure there are players that have never played outdoors. I'm sure there are players that never had their rink size determined by how many shovels they could round up. I'm sure there are players that never spent intermission in the warming house trying to unthaw their toes. And all the players are dead when the NHL was played outdoors or in open air arenas. Despite that, hockey outside is andd always will be its roots.

Actually, believe it or not the first outdoor NHL regular season game was between Edmonton and Montreal a few years ago in Commonwealth Stadium. Pond hockey is the games' root, outdoor hockey in a stadium is cool, but it has nothing to do with its roots.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived