ECHL -1

Mac the Knife

The team which began in 1991 as the Raleigh Icecaps died an ignominious death last week, as the Augusta Lynx became the first team in the 21-year history of the ECHL to fold in mid-season. The owners apparently blew through $2.4 million in less than 18 months, going broke in the process while the team was drawing more flies than fans. Sad...

nav-logo.png

The team which began in 1991 as the Raleigh Icecaps died an ignominious death last week, as the Augusta Lynx became the first team in the 21-year history of the ECHL to fold in mid-season. The owners apparently blew through $2.4 million in less than 18 months, going broke in the process while the team was drawing more flies than fans. Sad...

How many teams are left in the Southeast for that league?

Sad.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sad.

As far as I know, the Mississippi Sea Wolves are the last vestiges of the "I-10 corridor" lineup that league once hosted:

Gone:

Jacksonville Lizard Kings

Tallahasseee Tiger Sharks

Pensacola Ice Pilots

Mobile Mysticks

New Orleans Brass

Baton Rouge Kingfish

Louisiana Ice Gators

A quick look at their website reveals that Mississippi, Gwinnett, Florida, South Carolina, and Charlotte are the only southeast teams left.

It is what it is.

What I wonder when this kind of thing happens is how the league readjusts the other teams' schedules so that they can play their full slate of games.

Wow.. that would be the first time since what, the 1990-91 IHL Albany Choppers to fold midthru the season?? Or some more recent teams?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Wow.. that would be the first time since what, the 1990-91 IHL Albany Choppers to fold midthru the season?? Or some more recent teams?

May I direct your attention to the UHL and the SPHL, both of whom have had this happen since then.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ah yes Rams80.... yeah some UHL and SPHL teams has folded as well.. but I was wondering as to the top minor leagues.. the AHL, old IHL, ECHL as well..the UHL (now the current IHL) and SPHL has been in the bottom minor league chain level...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

May I direct your attention to the UHL and the SPHL, both of whom have had this happen since then.

Don't know about the SPHL, but the last UHL team to fold mid-season was the Columbus Stars in 2003-04. And that team was in first place btw. :blink:

With the way things are going for the Flint Generals this season, they could be the next team to go belly up during the season.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Sad.

As far as I know, the Mississippi Sea Wolves are the last vestiges of the "I-10 corridor" lineup that league once hosted:

Gone:

Pensacola Ice Pilots

Mobile Mysticks

New Orleans Brass

Baton Rouge Kingfish

Louisiana Ice Gators

A quick look at their website reveals that Mississippi, Gwinnett, Florida, South Carolina, and Charlotte are the only southeast teams left.

that list alone shows that hockey has no business in florida and louisiana.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Sad.

Gone:

Pensacola Ice Pilots

Mobile Mysticks

New Orleans Brass

Baton Rouge Kingfish

Louisiana Ice Gators

To correct your post, it shows the struggle faced by many minor league hockey teams, regardless of location. When every trip is a long one and arenas are often booked for other events as well (losing the prime selling weekend dates) this is what happens.

Sad.

Gone:

Pensacola Ice Pilots

Mobile Mysticks

New Orleans Brass

Baton Rouge Kingfish

Louisiana Ice Gators

To correct your post, it shows the struggle faced by many minor league hockey teams, regardless of location. When every trip is a long one and arenas are often booked for other events as well (losing the prime selling weekend dates) this is what happens.

It also doesn't help when the market you're in may not have large relocated fans. I places like Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, and even Fort Myers where the Everblades play, relocated resident population is up and generally the relocated residents are from hockey areas (northeast and midwest). Teams in these areas have greater chance to have success based on this fact alone.

I wouldn't be surprised to watch more ECHL teams fail. This is a league with no common sense. I never understood the westward expansion, and if you're that low of a minor league then why would you bring on the expense of possibly traveling 3,000 miles. It makes no sense business wise, and if they play a west and an east schedule, do the people in the other conference really care/know about the other? What this league needs to do, is to dump the west coast teams and go back to the EAST Coast Hockey League.

I wouldn't be surprised to watch more ECHL teams fail. This is a league with no common sense. I never understood the westward expansion, and if you're that low of a minor league then why would you bring on the expense of possibly traveling 3,000 miles. It makes no sense business wise, and if they play a west and an east schedule, do the people in the other conference really care/know about the other? What this league needs to do, is to dump the west coast teams and go back to the EAST Coast Hockey League.

To answer your questions, no the two coasts typically do not play outside of the finals, and yes the people do still care.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm nothing short of shocked that 'my' ECHL team, the Johnstown Chiefs, are still around. They change owners like I change underwear, but they haven't moved, haven't closed up shop. I keep waiting for the day when they do, but after 20+ years, that day hasn't yet come.

/Going to buy 10 tix to a game while I'm up there later this month, just to show support

nav-logo.png

Archived