NCAA Majors: A Different Take

tBBP

Here I go again with yet another concept series thread.

Lately, I've had a cornocopia of concept ideas come to my mind, for several different teams. A good many of those have been or are in the process of being developed for the NCAA D-1 teams out there. To that end, I've decided to create a new thread for those concept ideas. (Oh yeah--for the curious ones, I haven't abandoned my HBCU project at all. As a matter of fact, I've got a few new ideas cooking up for that one...just decided to take a break from that one for a little minute.)

Let's get going with this thing here.

FIRST UP: A NEW 'DO FOR THE BRUINS

My first package presentation here takes us over into Pac-10 territory, where I've decided to make an attempt at upgrading the look of the football squad representing the University of California-Los Angeles. This concept idea came to me about two months ago; I just never got the chance to actually finalize it and put it together until several days ago. I've always admired the Bruins' football look--up until about seven or eight years ago, when they went away from what I considered to be a classic design in the NCAA world. You know the ones...think back to the Cade McNown-Skip Hicks era (the mid-late '90s). I especialy loved those old-school numerals. To be sure, the Bruins might have had one of the most unique uniform sets in all of football, especially considering that (I believe) they were (and are) the only one of UCLA's varsity squads that opts to use metallic gold rather than athletic gold. (Seriouly, I think their color set might be one of the most underrated in the nation.) To further add to that, I always found it odd and interesting that while UCLA's home shirts were columbia (or whatever the name of their blue is), in those days, their road sets featured not an ounce of it.

Well...that's one thing that changed in this concept set. But...before I get to that, let me take it from the top with the logo package.

UCLA's current primary logo (the script one with "BRUINS" written into the tail of the "a") has been around for a very long time...however, having said that, I've actually taken the time to slightly modify both that logo as well as the script logo currently used on their helmets. I figured it'd be nice to try to freshen those up a bit. One other thing I did--and this one might not go over very well with Bruin die-hards--was change up the helmet logo a bit by making it columbia with a navy dropshadow (pretty much like the main logo). I've also added a new block-letter wordmark.

As many of you have probably already figured out, I kinda revived the look of the mid-late '90s Bruins for this set here--but with some updates, mainly with those old-school numbers. On the homes, I've outlined them in white, but kept the navy drop shadows. I've also added a pair of columbia socks featuring the same striping arrangement as found on the shoulder loops. On the roads--and this was the change I alluded to earlier that might ruffle some feathers--those same numbers are now columbia, trimmed in gold, with navy dropshadow. For the heck of it, I've also added some columbia pants. (They're shown as an option for the home set; but it ain't like I'd actually prefer or even expect that combo to be worn in real life.) To further add some variety, I've also thrown in a pair of striped white pants to go with the roads, for a completely new look for the Bruins.

Overall...I think I'm pretty satisfied with this look. My goal with this was to revive and freshen that "classic" looks, with some new pieces thrown in for good measure. But...I'll let y'alls C&C determine whether or not that was a good move or not.

So here I present my concept package presentation for the Bruins of UCLA.

UCLAstyleguidelogosheet.png

UCLAstyleguideuniforms.png

UCLAstyleguideuniforms2.png

UCLAstyleguideaction.png

Alright...y'all know what to do, so hit me up and let me know what's up!

~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I love the white pants for the road jerseys and how the stripes match the shoulder stripes. I'm not so sure about the blue pants though.

I am in agreement with this...The blue pants just don't look right for some reason...Everything else looks great...I like the white pants as well...

pwmhshpbanner.gif

pwihshpbanner2.gif

I have a couple of gripes here. First off, I don't really like the new helmet. It's not that it doesn't look good, but I like their current design so much anything compared to it would seem like a downgrade. Next issue is the powder blue pants, they just seem too overboard for this classic look. The blue on blue looks to be especially unflattering. Lastly I would say make the collar and sleeve elastic on the blue jersey blue, the white looks tacky to me, as it does on the Chargers' alts. Other than those few issues I like what you've put together.

Great work all around...top notch. Can't wait to see more schools!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• 1 year later...

Auburn? :)

Why the hell do you think he would do Auburn when this thread is TWO YEARS OLD!!! Seriously, why do you keep doing this? Are you stupid, or do you just like pissing everyone off, cause that's what you're doing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived