More On The Hockey Canada 2010 Logo Dispute

Linus

OTTAWA - The familiar Hockey Canada logo of a player skating through a Maple Leaf is not likely to be worn at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, the president of the International Ice Hockey Federation said Monday.

Rene Fasel said a dispute over allowing national sports federations to use their logos on jerseys worn at the Games is not likely to be resolved with the International Olympic Committee before the Vancouver Olympics.

"I'm sure we'll find a way, but for Vancouver, it will be difficult," Fasel said at the world junior hockey championship. "But we're working together with (Hockey Canada president) Bob Nicholson and we'll find a way.

"You're a strong hockey country and you're playing in Vancouver, but it's very difficult. It's very political."

The IOC began clamping down on the use of federation logos by soccer teams at the Summer Games this year and is extending that to the Winter Olympics.

An IOC rule banning the use of federation logos is 13 years old, but can be overlooked with the approval of a country's national Olympic committee. For the past three Winter Games, the Canadian Olympic Committee has give hockey an exemption, but opted not to support hockey this time around.

Nicholson is trying to bypass the COC and appeal directly to the IOC to use the country's traditional jersey. If that fails, he said Hockey Canada may look for other ways to have the logo present at the Games. Jersey sales generate an estimated $20 million in the period around an Olympics.

"We've continued to have discussions at the IOC level and I can tell you we will make a decision one way or the other in Hockey Canada within the next 60 days," said Nicholson. "We do appreciate where Rene is.

"He's president of the IIHF and he's also on the IOC (executive), and I know he's tried his best to this point. We'll have to see where it ends up with the final decision at the IOC."

Nicholson said Hockey Canada will make royalties off the sale of Canadian hockey jerseys leading up the Games whether it has the logo or not, but he feels it is important to the fans and the players that the Olympic team wear familiar sweaters.

"We feel that we have a traditional marque that our players have grown up with in this country and we feel it's the best sell," he said. "If we have to go to another marque or design, Hockey Canada would still get those revenues.

"But look in the stands and tell me what jersey everyone's wearing. It's the jersey that Canadiens recognize and, more importantly to me, if you could ever be in the dressing room when the kids put on the jersey with tears in their eyes, that's why you want it."

Fasel also voiced cautious support for having the world junior championship in Canada every year. It is currently held here every three years, although an extra event was given to Canada for 2010 because no other country bid for it.

Regina and Saskatoon will host next year.

Attendance and TV audiences skyrocket when the event is held in Canada; in other countries, it tends to draw sparse crowds.

Fasel said bringing the tournament permanently to Canada, or a least the North America, may be accepted by other countries if some of the revenues are shared to cover travel and other costs.

"I was following some junior tournaments in Europe and when you have teams playing in front of 42 spectators, or 72, it's really sad," said Fasel. "Especialy for the boys playing.

"Coming here and playing front of 19,000 people, for boys from Kazakhstan or Slovakia, this is a lifetime experience they'll never forget."

- The Canadian Press

Its stupid how a logo cant be used during the Olympic games. No matter what Canada wears on the ice, it is going to sell throughout Canada and rake in the same amount, if not more money then the current jerseys.

beLEAF

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is sad but I love how Fasel kept on saying we'll find a way

x2.

I really hope they do, that logo is what millions of kids will give a left arm to play for.

A maple leaf is a maple leaf. No matter how it is portrayed, it is essentially the same. Doesn't matter whether it is the logo with the Gretzky silhouette nor a blank one, as long as one is on there somewhere that is all that will matter.

Remember this is a relatively new logo... people have long played under different logos...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

x2.

I really hope they do, that logo is what millions of kids will give a left arm to play for.

A maple leaf is a maple leaf. No matter how it is portrayed, it is essentially the same. Doesn't matter whether it is the logo with the Gretzky silhouette nor a blank one, as long as one is on there somewhere that is all that will matter.

Remember this is a relatively new logo... people have long played under different logos...

Very true, but this one just suits Canadian Hockey so well.

The logo has sentimental value with Canadians, but really at the end of the day, hockey is hockey no matter how it looks.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Why don't they just do the intelligent thing and use the wonderful Canada uniforms from the 70's and 80's that they used in the Canada Cup? I don't know why they are fighting so hard to keep a logo and uniform that is second best. That Canada uniform that was worn during the times I mentioned was absolutely beautiful.

x2.

So they give their left arm to play on an Olympic team that probably wouldn't accept any one-armed players.

The ironing is delicious.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ok, really stupid question I'm sure... Why aren't countries allowed to use the logos of their sports federations on uniforms? Why does the IOC even care? How does that hurt them? What was the rationale behind that decision? It seems odd that they don't mind allowing professional athletes to play, but then they get hung up over a logo, which is usually associated with that country's team for that sport.

I didn't know that this rule was 13 years old. That explains why on volleyball uniforms for the Olympics and other international events national teams have their flag on the jersey. Team USA used the USA Volleyball logo that is below.

I don't understand this rule.

I've got a question.

Canada's flag is red and white, yet the hockey team wears, red, black and white.

Is black part of the official Canadian color or is it just something adopted by the national hockey organization?

I've got a question.

Canada's flag is red and white, yet the hockey team wears, red, black and white.

Is black part of the official Canadian color or is it just something adopted by the national hockey organization?

Canada's only official colours are red and white (red and silver in heraldic terms). The black's been added by the country's national sports teams over the years to complement the red white. In the past blue was used (both because for a long time Canada's flag included the mostly blue Union Jack and to symbolize Canada's French heritage), but it was dropped in favour of black because it made the Canadian teams look "too American."

Though using colours other then the two official ones isn't a new development. As I said above, blue has been used. Green (the maple leafs on the Canadian flag were green until 1957) and gold have been other favourites.

But yeah, the country's only official colours are red and white.

I've got a question.

Canada's only official colours are red and white (red and silver in heraldic terms). The black's been added by the country's national sports teams over the years to complement the red white. In the past blue was used (both because for a long time Canada's flag included the mostly blue Union Jack and to symbolize Canada's French heritage), but it was dropped in favour of black because it made the Canadian teams look "too American."

Though using colours other then the two official ones isn't a new development. As I said above, blue has been used. Green (the maple leafs on the Canadian flag were green until 1957) and gold have been other favourites.

Thanks for the answer, Icecap79. I was talking to a couple of Canadian coworkers (from Windsor, but work in Detroit) and this came up in discussion. No one knew the reason. I appreciate your comments.

I've got a question.

Thanks for the answer, Icecap79. I was talking to a couple of Canadian coworkers (from Windsor, but work in Detroit) and this came up in discussion. No one knew the reason. I appreciate your comments.

No problemo.

Retro isn't always good ...

g_iginla.jpg

broncossigbz9.png

den-1.gifbsu-1.gifavs.gif

Retro isn't always good ...

g_iginla.jpg

I didn't say it looked good, just that it had been used.

Quick solution.

Take the alternate they wore at the World Juniors, make a white version, and presto!

No need to make a fuss now, is there? :P

Agreed.

x2.

So they give their left arm to play on an Olympic team that probably wouldn't accept any one-armed players.

K smart ass. You always pop in with these stupid comments that you believe are funny. There downright stupid.

beLEAF

x2.

K smart ass. You always pop in with these stupid comments that you believe are funny. They're downright stupid.

Fixed it for you.

Next time you're going to attempt to insult me for no reason, let me know in advance and I'll proofread your post so you don't look like an idiot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived