2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I just have never figured out the reason sports franchises pay rookies based on potential. How many of us get paid on potential? I don't. I get paid for production as a graphic designer.

What do you call getting a job out of college? You get paid based on your potential using your crappy college portfolio as a gauge. Just like professional athletes. The only difference is you don't have people dropping 40 bucks to see you design for 4 hours...and you don't have the potential to single-handily save the company you're working for....

And it goes with a job at any point in you're career. You aren't getting paid based on what you've done. Why would a company agree to pay you 50k per year for the work you did at your last company? You get paid based on what you are going to do in the future for that company.

(btw...I'm not saying you personally have a crappy portfolio, just after about a year everyone thinks their college portfolio sucks)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woohoo, way to go (G)Nats! I figured they'd have to move to the $20MM range to sign him. Based on all the "expert" opinion, I don't think this was as ridiculous as some people are going to try make it sound.

With all the talk about Strasburg, it was overlooked that the number 2 and 3 picks went down to the wire, too. Did they sign? They were Boras clients as well.

EDIT: Here's the story. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4403920

Win-win situation for both Strasburg and the Nationals. I'm ready to get my ticket!

Which is exactly why top draft picks do deserve some money before they accumulate any actual "stats".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Red Sox have officially released John Smoltz.

So where to now? The Dodgers, Rangers, Cardinals, Astros and Marlins are all rumored destinations.

I know a team in desperate need of even an average closer...

You wouldn't happen to be talkin' about my beloved Northsiders, would you?

Nope.

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs make a run at Smoltz as a closer before the Cardinals get their hands on him. Really though, I'd like to see Lou run anyone not named Kevin Gregg out for the 9th. :censored: this guy. He's worse than Lidge!

6uXNWAo.png

Woohoo, way to go (G)Nats! I figured they'd have to move to the $20MM range to sign him. Based on all the "expert" opinion, I don't think this was as ridiculous as some people are going to try make it sound.

With all the talk about Strasburg, it was overlooked that the number 2 and 3 picks went down to the wire, too. Did they sign? They were Boras clients as well.

Win-win situation for both Strasburg and the Nationals. I'm ready to get my ticket!

Which is exactly why top draft picks do deserve some money before they accumulate any actual "stats".

Wait till next year Jigga.

Glad to see he signed, I would have lost all respect for him if he turned down a record deal. Its going to be tough for him next season tough. I'm not sure how his teammates will treat him when he's making more than most of them without even throwing a pitch.

Man, this is some BULL :censored:! They could have almost made his signing bonus back by pitching him a few times this season.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Man, this is some BULL :censored:! They could have almost made his signing bonus back by pitching him a few times this season.

Its best to play it safe, dont want him to be the next David Clyde

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

EDIT: Here's the story. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4403920Win-win situation for both Strasburg and the Nationals. I'm ready to get my ticket!

Never know, he could end up the next Sidd Finch, and pursue a non-baseball career.

LvZYtbZ.png

EDIT: Here's the story. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4403920Win-win situation for both Strasburg and the Nationals. I'm ready to get my ticket!

Never know, he could end up the next Sidd Finch, and pursue a non-baseball career.

Well if he didn't dick around whether or not he was going to sign, then he could have been in the rotation by mid-July.

If you want him to be this stud pitcher you foresee, you might want to be patient with his development.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

If you want him to be this stud pitcher you foresee, you might want to be patient with his development.

Fair enough, champ. I guess I can curb my enthusiasm for a few months. I just wanted to see 102. I didn't mean to go all Ashton Kutcher on that ass...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Never thought I'd ever say this, but Ruben Amaro just may be a genius.

Cliff Lee... wow.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Never thought I'd ever say this, but Ruben Amaro just may be a genius.

Cliff Lee... wow.

Excuse me? No, we are not calling him a genius. Any schmuck pitcher can win when the team's giving him five runs a game to work with - let's see how he does when he doesn't have any runs supporting him.

Let's be honest, if he'd been getting this run support all season, and pitching like this, he probably wouldn't even finish top 10 in the Cy Young. Hometown voters would vote for him, but that's about it.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived