2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Today is the 1-Year Anniversary of the start of demolition of Shea Stadium.

Unfortunately for us Met fans, the demolition of the team itself has been a never-ending train ride to Hell since October 19th, 2006...

Wait til next year, when the same GM and same coaching, scouting and medical staff take the field in hideous uniforms, riding our classy traditional look with a reduced payroll, higher ticket prices, and a lying owner who rather own the Dodgers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately for us Met fans, the demolition of the team itself has been a never-ending train ride to Hell since October 19th, 2006...

Wait til next year, when the same GM and same coaching, scouting and medical staff take the field in hideous uniforms, riding our classy traditional look with a reduced payroll, higher ticket prices, and a lying owner who rather own the Dodgers.

Well they're almost emulating the Nats.

If you're going to lose 90 games, there's no reason to spend the most money in the National League to do so.

The Mets, if they were smart, should torch the barn and kill off the rats. Their current players are not winners. Carlos Beltran should go back to Kansas City and hide from NY's microscope. Delgado is a perennial loser. The Mets need to rid themselves of these players, bite the bullet for a couple years and let the young players develop, and resist the urge to challenge the Yankees in terms of payroll.

Fortunately for Braves fans, the NY fanbase is too stubborn and won't accept a slow, constant rise to power. Their fans demand to spend a ton of money every season instead of letting young players develop.

The Angels clinched the AL West last night. Their 3rd straight. 5th out of the last 6 years.

And in the celebration, the classiest organization in all of sports continued to be so last night in their celebration. In the champange and beer soaked locker room, they doused Adenhart's jersey in the celebration, the same jersey they've carried with them all season. They went out to the facade with Adenhart's image out in centerfield and they all touched it and celebrated with their fallen teammate. That was definitely one of the more touching and "dusty-in-the-room" moments I've seen in baseball.

And to those criticizing the use of alcohol in the celebration considering that Nick was killed by a drunk drive, please get over yourselves. The Angels were including him in the celebration. They were doing exactly what they would have done had Nick been there physically. It didn't even come to my mind until some oversensitive people pointed it out on radio and ESPN today. I wasn't thinking like that and in the euphoria of the celebration I doubt anybody on the team connected those dots. They were including Nick in the celebration as if he was there.

As for the baseball side of it, so nice to win 11-0 and clinch. Just an easy go. Hopefully this win can spur the offense back into its July/August form. They'll need the offense to pick up if they're going to beat the Red Sox.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Angels clinched the AL West last night. Their 3rd straight. 5th out of the last 6 years.

And in the celebration, the classiest organization in all of sports continued to be so last night in their celebration. In the champange and beer soaked locker room, they doused Adenhart's jersey in the celebration, the same jersey they've carried with them all season. They went out to the facade with Adenhart's image out in centerfield and they all touched it and celebrated with their fallen teammate. That was definitely one of the more touching and "dusty-in-the-room" moments I've seen in baseball.

And to those criticizing the use of alcohol in the celebration considering that Nick was killed by a drunk drive, please get over yourselves. The Angels were including him in the celebration. They were doing exactly what they would have done had Nick been there physically. It didn't even come to my mind until some oversensitive people pointed it out on radio and ESPN today. I wasn't thinking like that and in the euphoria of the celebration I doubt anybody on the team connected those dots. They were including Nick in the celebration as if he was there.

As for the baseball side of it, so nice to win 11-0 and clinch. Just an easy go. Hopefully this win can spur the offense back into its July/August form. They'll need the offense to pick up if they're going to beat the Red Sox.

I just saw the video. Very nice. Such a beautiful moment came out of tragedy.

If you're going to lose 90 games, there's no reason to spend the most money in the National League to do so.

The Mets, if they were smart, should torch the barn and kill off the rats. Their current players are not winners. Carlos Beltran should go back to Kansas City and hide from NY's microscope. Delgado is a perennial loser. The Mets need to rid themselves of these players, bite the bullet for a couple years and let the young players develop, and resist the urge to challenge the Yankees in terms of payroll.

Fortunately for Braves fans, the NY fanbase is too stubborn and won't accept a slow, constant rise to power. Their fans demand to spend a ton of money every season instead of letting young players develop.

Easy to say for a fan of the Braves an organization that knows how to scout and develop players. The Mets do not do that well. They either build through Free Agency or lose 100 games a year.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

YAH-DEE! YAH-DEE! YAH-DEE! YAH-DEE!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In game 1 of the DH with MIN@DET, going ten innings did not help both pitching staffs. MIN used 4, DET 3. Through 6 in the night game, MIN has used 3 (and I don't know if Mahay will br replaced by Carlin for the 8th), while Verlander is still going for DET with 110 pitches through 7. Leyland knows that DH really put a tax on the bullpen. This Verlander start could be huge in terms of staff for the weekend.

Easy to say for a fan of the Braves an organization that knows how to scout and develop players. The Mets do not do that well. They either build through Free Agency or lose 100 games a year.

It has nothing to do with the Braves ability to scout and develop drafted talent.

The Mets see all the success (past and present) of the Big Brother Yankees, and the Mets fans want that instantaneous success so they aren't dominated in the headlines by the Yankees. The Mets fans put pressure on their GM to make moves to win now instead of building a franchise properly. Surely the Kazmir-for-Zambrano deal a few years ago wasn't the Braves fault, was it?

You aren't going to consistently win when the base of your franchise is free agent acquisitions. Your fanbase simply doesn't have the patience to wait out a few losing seasons in order to enjoy sustained success.

It has nothing to do with the Braves ability to scout and develop drafted talent.

The Mets see all the success (past and present) of the Big Brother Yankees, and the Mets fans want that instantaneous success so they aren't dominated in the headlines by the Yankees. The Mets fans put pressure on their GM to make moves to win now instead of building a franchise properly. Surely the Kazmir-for-Zambrano deal a few years ago wasn't the Braves fault, was it?

You aren't going to consistently win when the base of your franchise is free agent acquisitions. Your fanbase simply doesn't have the patience to wait out a few losing seasons in order to enjoy sustained success.

While you make excellent points, you're still wasting your time. The Mets could go 150-12 next year and it wouldn't be enough for Tank. He'd bitch about the 12 losses and blame them on the GM, the owner, and The Washington Nationals. Tank revels in his Mets misery. There's no stopping it. We can only hope to contain it. Remember, this was the same guy who at this time last year was saying that all The Mets needed to be complete was to sign K-Rod. He got K-Rod and J.J. Putz yet here we are again in the middle of another "Tank solves The Mets" tirade. It's never going to change because it's never going to be enough.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

While you make excellent points, you're still wasting your time. The Mets could go 150-12 next year and it wouldn't be enough for Tank. He'd bitch about the 12 losses and blame them on the GM, the owner, and The Washington Nationals. Tank revels in his Mets misery. There's no stopping it. We can only hope to contain it. Remember, this was the same guy who at this time last year was saying that all The Mets needed to be complete was to sign K-Rod. He got K-Rod and J.J. Putz yet here we are again in the middle of another "Tank solves The Mets" tirade. It's never going to change because it's never going to be enough.

It's like a car accident....you know what one looks like, but you still have to look.

I gave Tnak multiple chances to put himself in the chair of Mets GM (I want to say it was around the All-Star break as well as the July 31st trade deadline), and asked him one simple question: What legit move(s) would you make in order to improve the Mets?

He never gave one straight answer. I think he even said "First, I'd fire Omar Minaya"....regardless of the fact that, in my hypothetical situation, Minaya wasn't the Mets GM.

Tnak begs for the Mets GM to sign the Beltran's and the K-Rod's of MLB, he demands the Mets GM to make trades for the Santana's of MLB, yet the Mets still haven't won the World series or the NL or even the Eastern Division. Their GM makes these deals, and Tnak thinks they're sub-par GM's.

Hopefully the Mets fire Omar and make Tnak their new GM. It's less competition for the Braves to worry about!

Look around baseball there are no good players in the majors that the Mets drafted and developed.

If they did not make trades and sign people they would never win 50. Their farm system is beyond a joke, and they cant spot talent if it fell from the sky and hit them in the head.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Look around baseball there are no good players in the majors that the Mets drafted and developed.

If they did not make trades and sign people they would never win 50. Their farm system is beyond a joke, and they cant spot talent if it fell from the sky and hit them in the head.

Then make better trades I guess. Maybe they shouldn't have listened to you. Wasn't this latest batch of players all guys you said the Mets just had to have?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Well the players all got hurt that are the core group the problem is they are not producing talent in the minors to strengthen the bench or trade for the missing parts.

Omar Minaya is supposed to have these links to the Dominican Republic and Latin America, but where are the players? Where are the prospects?

The Johan trade is nothing, of the five players the Mets gave up only one is in the Majors (Carlos Gomez) and only one will ever do anything and even that player is not exactly setting the world on fire.

That's the biggest problem with the Mets scouting and player development.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I just saw the video. Very nice. Such a beautiful moment came out of tragedy.

Well I'm disappointed about one thing...

... they used the alternate red jersey :P

I saw, I came, I left.

If there are no good players developed from the Mets in baseball, then that means the Mets are simply not that good at anything, correct?

Archived