2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

And Pedro is already on the 15-day DL.

He was going to throw a few minor-league games anyway, and not make his Phillies debut until around August 1, so the DL thing isn't that big of a deal. I think that they just did it so that he can be on the major-league roster while making his minor-league starts, which would allow him to receive his full salary while in the minors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I can understand the rationale behind that, but in a sport with so many unwritten rules and superstitions, it seems like a odd thing to do. Bad omen, knowhatimsayin?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I guess I can understand the rationale behind that, but in a sport with so many unwritten rules and superstitions, it seems like a odd thing to do. Bad omen, knowhatimsayin?

Yeah, maybe MLB needs to come up with some kind of list besides "disabled list", like the "15-day reserve list" or something like that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

for the love of God everyone, its HALLADAY.

Best pitcher in the game and people still spell (and pronounce) his name wrong.

Okay...I just went through and corrected the last 20 times I misspelled it.....At least I spelled them all the same :P Thanks for pointing that out.

I was initially iffy about picking up Pedro. But the Phillies need a starter, and even if he only gives them six innings a night, Pedro is definitely an upgrade.

As far as Halladay is concerned, I'd gladly give up Happ to get him. I'm not as high on Happ as some people, but I think that Halladay can come right in and help them out.

philly.png

As we all know, rumors change quickly. It is now being reported that the Matt Holliday for Yunel Escobar trade rumor has been shot down. It seems that the Cardinals are interested in Escobar, while Holliday may be available to pretty much everyone at this point.

In other rumors, it looks like the Nats are not even close to signing Stephen Strasburg. I'm sure we are all so surprised by this.

The new Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman is on the shopping list of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets. I'm sure that comes as news to everyone as well.

And to comment again on the Halladay thing, I know the Phillies fans out there would not mind giving up Happ to get him. But that is not all your team is gonna give up. The Jays want 3 top prospects for him. I'm talking about guys that are projected to be All-Stars. That is who they want, and they want 3 of them, not just one. This is why I think at this point it might be silly for the Phillies to give up that kind of talent when they can probably win the World Series with the team they have right now.

And to comment again on the Halladay thing, I know the Phillies fans out there would not mind giving up Happ to get him. But that is not all your team is gonna give up. The Jays want 3 top prospects for him. I'm talking about guys that are projected to be All-Stars. That is who they want, and they want 3 of them, not just one. This is why I think at this point it might be silly for the Phillies to give up that kind of talent when they can probably win the World Series with the team they have right now.

They could win the WS with the team they have right now, but the pitching is really shaky, and adding Halladay would undoubtedly increase their chances of repeating, if not make them the favorite.

They have a window. Their top players are in their primes right now. Howard is only signed through his arbitration years, and is unlikely to resign once that's done. Prospects are just that. They don't always pan out. They have a chance to win right now (and next year). I think it's worth it to take that chance, rather than hold on to guys who 1. don't have a place to play right now (and won't for several years, due to the age of the players currently on the roster) and 2. could be busts. There's a case to be made for holding on to these guys, but the opportunity that is in front of them is too great to pass up IMO. Part of the reason to develop a great farm system is so that you can make these kinds of deals. I say get it done.

That being said, more stories are out saying that they won't, because Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown are "untouchable", and J.P. don't want to hear none of that.

I agree.

philly.png

The Jays don't need to trade Halladay right now, so they won't take any deal that isn't exactly what they want. It's gonna take 3 of the best prospects to get him. I don't think anyone is willing to give that up.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

They could win the WS with the team they have right now, but the pitching is really shaky, and adding Halladay would undoubtedly increase their chances of repeating, if not make them the favorite.

They have a window. Their top players are in their primes right now. Howard is only signed through his arbitration years, and is unlikely to resign once that's done. Prospects are just that. They don't always pan out. They have a chance to win right now (and next year). I think it's worth it to take that chance, rather than hold on to guys who 1. don't have a place to play right now (and won't for several years, due to the age of the players currently on the roster) and 2. could be busts. There's a case to be made for holding on to these guys, but the opportunity that is in front of them is too great to pass up IMO. Part of the reason to develop a great farm system is so that you can make these kinds of deals. I say get it done.

That being said, more stories are out saying that they won't, because Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown are "untouchable", and J.P. don't want to hear none of that.

I feel ya. How many times have we seen the 'experts' predict greatness from prospects only to see them fall flat after a year or two? Of course Halladay will become the best pitcher on any team he goes to, and what you have said about your team's players makes a lot of sense.

That being said, I'm going to put it out there and say that the Giants and Rockies need him more than anyone. While the Angels will need to win this year to feel like a trade for him was worth it.

Did I see that right a few pages back? The Angels want Halladay? Oh crud....

BTW, if the new GM in charge of the M's wants to really earn my respect, how about throwing your hat in the ring in the Halladay Sweepstakes. It may mean a few key prospects, but I want to see the 1-2 pitching combo of King Felix and Halladay rock the Nautical Rose and make all Texas and Anaheim fans crap in their pants because of the amount of own these two have.

*sigh* I can dream, you know...

Did I see that right a few pages back? The Angels want Halladay? Oh crud....

BTW, if the new GM in charge of the M's wants to really earn my respect, how about throwing your hat in the ring in the Halladay Sweepstakes. It may mean a few key prospects, but I want to see the 1-2 pitching combo of King Felix and Halladay rock the Nautical Rose and make all Texas and Anaheim fans crap in their pants because of the amount of own these two have.

*sigh* I can dream, you know...

I thought Halladay said he wanted to win.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If the Angels are truly in the running for Halladay, they should just go ahead and do it.

The Angels have one of the deepest prospect pools in all of baseball. There are between 4-7 prospects I have heard so many great things about and are high on people's list that I have yet to see hide or hair of. And truthfully, most of these prospects are stuck in the minors because the Angels are set at about every position. The Angels also have plenty of examples of having the "next big thing" at any position in the minors and they hold on to them for years and years while someone else holds the spot in the majors. And when said prospect gets to the majors there are also examples of them falling on their face (Dallas McPherson anyone?).

But that's the way the Angels have run the organization in the past 10 years. Has it been successful? Yes of course, we have a 2002 world title to prove that. But that 2002 World Series was lightning in a bottle. The team was middling around all year and then caught fire the final two month of the season and into the playoffs. Now the Angels are an annual division winner and contender. They aren't sneaking up on anyone and they tend to be one of the best in baseball all season. Then we get to the playoffs and get beat by the Red Sox and their pitching.

I think it's great that with our minor league system and team management we will be a division contending team and make the playoffs almost every season. But I want to win. I want to go for it.

They tried it last year with Teixeira and during the regular season he was fantastic. He was everything we wanted him to be an more. And in the playoffs against Boston he was also stellar, but the rest of the team couldn't follow with him. And even when he was hitting he wasn't hitting homers. And while Tex himself was great, the overall result of another 1st round exit and Tex leaving for the Yanks might make the Angels wary.

I say the Angels go for it and give up some of these prospects. Halladay has a greater overall effect on the games he is in. Halladay also has another year on his contract, so he isn't a 4 month rental. The Angels win with pitching, defense, and small ball. Now recently some of the Angels are showing the power, which is great. Problem is in the games where the Angels are getting all the hits, they end up having to out hit the other team, because of the pitching.

Now with adding Halladay are the Angels the instant favorite? No probably not, but personally, I think an addition of Halladay would be a greater overall impact addition for the Halos.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If the Angels land Halladay, they really could go all the way. Imagine having to face this guy twice in a 5 game series, or 3 times in a 7 game series.

ESPN says that he would make a lot of sense in Philly or for the Angels, and although I agree with that, I think the Angels would stand to gain more by getting him. They have prospects that they won't really miss either.

Although he would make a huge impact with teams like San Fran and Colorado, I don't know that either team would give Toronto what they want. But if Colorado can somehow get the price right, Halladay is a native of Denver and would probably approve the deal.

If he goes anywhere, at this point I have to guess Angels or Phillies. But Toronto is kinda being unrealistic about the value they want in return. Some teams don't have 3 60+ players in their entire minor league system, and they want 3 from someone. It's almost like they are not expecting anyone to bite at it but if they do then great! :)

Archived